'Toddlers & Tiaras' Recap: Money Brings Out the Worst In Dianely, 7, Hailey, 7, & Lola, 4

Wed, July 13, 2011 11:10pm EDT by 8 Comments

In tonight’s episode of Toddlers & Tiaras, the little ladies competed for $10,000 cash, the highest cash prize in pageant history. However, I couldn’t help but notice how negatively the large prize affected the contestants and their families.

I should have known we were in trouble when Samantha introduced herself by saying, “I’m Samantha. I’m her coach. Well, I’m her sister and her coach.” Samantha is contestant Hailey‘s older sister who was doubling as her pageant coach. Tonight’s episode of Toddlers & Tiaras showed the ugly side of pageants, what happens when a large cash prize is dangled in front of the contestants and their parents. And the result was not pretty.

Is it just me or was tonight’s episode of Toddlers & Tiaras very different from any other we’ve seen? Tensions were high, emotions were flaring, and tempers were hot. Tonight’s episode wasn’t fun and wasn’t cute but was shocking, and not in the way we’re used to on T&T. Don’t get me wrong, there was still eyebrow waxing and spray tans, but compared to the way Fransoly treated her daughter, Dianely, 7, these things seemed tame.

When we spoke to her earlier, Lynn told us that she didn’t mind when Lola, 3, asked for MaLee over her own mother, but there had to be a slight sense of resentment when Lola wouldn’t start her performance without MaLee onstage. It’s hard to imagine that these pageants aren’t tearing families apart. Hailey’s mother and older sisters couldn’t keep their snide remarks to themselves as the other contestants took the stage and Dianely’s mother acted like a bulldozer, knocking down anything in between her and the $10,000.

I much prefer contestants like Brock — children that you can tell want to be in pageants because they genuinely enjoy doing it, not just for the prizes. Tonight’s episode showed us what happens when parents‘ eyes get bigger than their hearts and how easy it is for a child’s feelings to be trampled in the pursuit of money. It’s a side of pageants I hope we never see again on Toddlers & Tiaras.

What do you think HollyMoms? Was this episode more negative than ones we’ve seen or was it just business as usual?

Tune into TLC every Wednesday at 10pm ET for all-new episodes!

–Scott Galina

Loading video...

Katy

Posted at 7:18 AM on January 18, 2012

I’m watching this episode right now, and I am in COMPLETE disbelief. Fransoly… WOW. She stopped her daughter’s gymnastics training because her muscled arms didn’t look right in a beauty dress. Dianely said she wants to be an Olympic gymnast one day, but her mom wants her to do pageants.

Parents – shouldn’t your goal be to support your child in THEIR dreams, not your own? You might want to live vicariously through your child, but by letting them achieve their own dreams, not only will they be happier, but they can make you more proud than you could have ever imagined.

djwalket

Posted at 2:45 AM on January 18, 2012

THESE PEOPLE ARE MONEY HUNGRY…. DELIRIOUS… AND JUST PLAIN CRAZY!!!!!!!!!! LET YOUR CHILDREN BE CHILDREN.

Mom of Katie, Caylee, Brody and Tiffani

Posted at 4:52 PM on July 19, 2011

Have you seen the commercials lately? One little girl whispers in her mom’s ear: “I don’t like you,”

Lately, everyone on this show is just terrible! What happened to the somewhat annoying, some entertaining show I used to know? I would hope my daughters would never be like these girls. I know I’m a much better mom than any of the women on this show. Once, I saw a woman say: “It’s hard for juries to convict mass murderers when they are beautiful.” The idiot!

These people are PA-THET-IC!

Serenity and Tammy's Mommy

Posted at 10:10 PM on July 19, 2011

Did you ever see the episode with Brock (who I actually like, cause I know he is into this pageant world)? There is a girl named Sydney. Every other sentence out of the mouths of her and her mom is: “Sydney is so pretty!”

I hated everyone in this episode. I think the way Dianely’s mom talks to her should be considered child abuse. I mean seriously, she is so mean!

“You really messed up on that stage!”

“You can’t eat until after the pageant is over!”

“It’s mute time!”

“You can’t do gymnastics cause I’m living my life through you and I want you to do pageants so you will!”

Lola is a total brat and I think Hailey is kind of too. She’s just so “senstive” as her mom, Joey, puts it. When Hailey didn’t win, you should’ve seen her family’s faces. They looked like: “This isn’t happening! Hailey is prettier than all of these ugly ducklings! I demand a recount!”

I hate them all so much! I don’t think I’ll be watching T&T anytime soon.

Lisa

Posted at 4:44 PM on July 19, 2011

I agree with Destiny about the gymnastics part. I hate Dianely’s mom, she is so mean to herb daughter! If she likes gymnastics, let her do it! Maybe she doesn’t like you living your dreams through her! Her mom was so mad when Dianely forgot her routine. Man, I hate that woman. She comes off as abusive to me.

I think that Lola girl is a brat. Those sugar cubes will rot her teeth! I’m watching her refusing to perform without “MaLee” right now. Such a brat! Is her mom, Lynn, not hurt by this?

And then there is Hailey’s mom, Joey, who thinks that the contest must be rigged since Hailey did not win! *sarcastically* Oh yeah! Hailey didn’t win the money! It must be fixed! *end sarcastic-ness* Look Joey, your daughter is not the most beautiful thing to walk the face of the earth! She may be a pretty girl, but you are making her so vain!

Also, all the moms were so mean to the adults in the pageant. When an 20 year old won, they all said she should use the money to get celluite work done! Oh my God! You don’t say that! You say “Congrats. You did a good job up there!” You don’t say “Oh my god! That b**** took my daughters trophy! I hope she uses that money to get her cellulite removed!”

The people on here have annoyed me before (like Alaska and Braxton’s mom, the annoying MaKenzie, the “famous” Eden, etc.)but this is just wrong! Those women shouldn’t have children. They are raising them wrong. These girls will amount to nothing, they will become vain women who will not think respect their bodies and think they needs products and fake hair to look beautiful. These people make me sick. I’m doubting why I watch this show.

Sheepish Canadian

Posted at 9:02 PM on July 14, 2011

This show is one I call my guilty pleasure. It’s usually harmless fun and only a few moments of head scratching. I agree that this episode was much less fun. The moms were so focussed on the cash prize. And that pageant director was so stuck on the cash prize also. This is the first time that I’ve felt bad for the girls. Usually despite the expected little person melt downs they seem to enjoy it. This episode bummed me out.

Destiny

Posted at 2:20 PM on July 14, 2011

The worst part of this episode for me was when Dianely’s mom actually said that she made her give up gymnastics because it made her arms look too big in her dress. She actually took her kid out of an activity that is good for her because it kept her in shape! People’s stupidity amazes me sometimes.

Faye Dubois

Posted at 8:08 AM on July 28, 2011

I completely agree. I felt really bad for Dianely. She is a good kid with bright and wonderful ambitions, and her mom is crushing them. What shocked me was during beauty it was said that Dianely loves pageants, and the entire episode it was clear she was in them to please her mom. I couldn’t believe her mom wrote such dribble and had it read on stage.

My heart also goes out to Lola’s mom. She has no relationship with her daughter because of these pageants. It wasn’t until the end of the episode that I realized her aunt was called “Ma Lee” instead of “Molly.” Lola’s actual mom is being phased out of her life, and Lynn is letting it happen.