Katie Holmes Reveals The Real Reason Suri Never Wears A Coat In The Winter!

Wed, July 13, 2011 8:40pm EST by 6 Comments

Suri is mature enough to wear heels and buy her own beverage at Starbucks, but should she be allowed to freeze in the name of fashion?

Katie Holmes is the mother to one of the most photographed children in Hollywood, 5-year-old diva Suri, who’s often seen bouncing around town in, well, whatever she wants! Wondering why she never wears a coat in chilly temperatures? Read Katie’s explanation!

In a conversation with InStyle magazine, Katie admits that the photos are a bit embarrassing, but explains “Recently, Suri and I were taking a walk and a fight got started because it was cold outside and she didn’t want to wear her coat. My philosophy is, well, fine, because after a block of walking you’re going to ask me for your coat.”

“So the pictures of her [without a coat in cold weather] are sort of embarrassing, but I said, “Suri, I’ll take the hit. Just put it on when you get cold.”

What do you think Hollymoms, is this a logical parenting tactic or should your little ones learn that mom knows best?

–Brooke Peoples

Read More About Tom, Katie, And Family Here!

1. Suri Cruise Makes A Splash With Hot Mama Katie Holmes In Miami!
  2. Suri Cruise The Perfect Role Model? James Van Der Beek Thinks So!
  3. Tom & Katie Buy Suri A $100,000 Tree House — Yup, A House In A Tree!
  4. Katie Holmes & Suri Cruise Hit The Beach… In Heels!

Kathy Khoshfahm

Posted at 8:32 PM on July 5, 2014

I’d tell Suri if she doesn’t want to wear her coat, then we won’t be going anywhere. I’d spend less time trying to be her friend and more time being a parent.

Carol

Posted at 11:30 AM on August 19, 2011

Makes sense to me too! My son who in now 22 probably wore a coat twice when he was about 2-3. He just hated them and would have a fit whenever we went outside. It was not worth the battle. I figured he would want one if he was cold. After a while I didn’t even buy them anymore. Saved a lot of $$$.

Oola1

Posted at 2:50 AM on July 14, 2011

Imagine what this kid will be like in 5 years? or when she’s a senior high student? YIKES

HMM

Posted at 5:19 PM on July 13, 2011

Who is the parent here again.

stella

Posted at 10:22 AM on July 14, 2011

Obviously, Suri! She is one of the most spoiled brats in Hollywood! She needs a firm hand and Katie needs parenting classes!

JJ

Posted at 3:07 PM on July 13, 2011

Completely reasonable. As a parent I’ve had the same battles sometimes it’s not worth the battle and the kids end up learning something too.