Does The Government Have The Right To Take Away Your Child If He or She Is Obese?

Wed, July 13, 2011 5:44pm EDT by 6 Comments

Highly distinguished doctors and specialists are saying that parents deserve to lose custody of their child if he or she is obese — do you agree?

In a recent opinion article in the Journal of the American Media Association, doctors are criticizing parents of overweight and extremely obese children, pleading that the government has the right to take said children away from their parents.

Dr. David Ludwig, an obesity specialist at Harvard-affiliated Children’s Hospital Boston, believes that this is not to punish the parents, but rather for the best interests of the kids. “[State intervention] ideally will support not just the child but the whole family, with the goal of reuniting child and family as soon as possible. That may require instruction on parenting,” he tells NPR.

But some professionals, like University of Pennsylvania bioethicist Art Caplan, feel that this is an issue far beyond parents’ reach. “Obese children are victims of advertising, marketing, peer pressure and bullying — things a parent can’t control,” he proclaimed.

Children in the United States are quickly becoming at risk for obesity. Currently, two million U.S. children are extremely obese, as most of them are susceptible for obesity-related diseases and conditions — such as Type 2 diabetes, breathing difficulties and liver problems.

There have already been some cases where parents were forced to lose custody due to their child being severly overweight. Last year, Dr. Ludwig examined a 12-year-old girl who weighed 400 pounds and had developed diabetes, cholesterol problems, high blood pressure and sleep apnea. The girl was placed in foster care, fed three balanced meals a day, and was given physical activity.  After a year, she lost 130 pounds, and her apnea and diabetes were cured.

Although the results don’t lie, do you HollyMoms think its right for the state to take your child away from you if he or she is obese?

– Michael Emer

Will

Posted at 12:09 AM on January 6, 2012

If the government takes away my obese children prepare for a Waco like standoff!!! FIGHT THE NEW WORLD ORDER!!! RON PAUL 2012!!!

totallyagainst

Posted at 10:21 PM on August 3, 2011

i’ve been struggling with my weight all of highschool. i don’t blame my parents, i blame myself. i eat when i’m bored, when i’m stressed, and if i go to the store and i have money i buy junk. but i dont know about other kids, but if they would take me away from my family and my friends, i don’t think i could manage. some kids may become depressed, and even suicidal. i hate myself when i’m out with my friends becasue they’re all skinny. i used to only associate myself with other overweight kids, because i knew they wouldn’t judge me. i dont think the government has any right to take the children away from their parents. i think it would do more harm than good. maybe if the economy was better, people could afford jenny craig, or weightwatchers, or any of the other expensive weight programs.but i dont think they have any right to take away peoples kids.

Jude

Posted at 5:42 PM on July 31, 2011

Absolutely not.

brittany

Posted at 4:25 PM on July 14, 2011

I have always been overweight and in Hihgschool even was up to 280lbs at one point.I had two siblings who were normal size their entire lives.I agree that my parents could have taken a bit more intrest but i do not blame them.It was not there fault.Iwould eat when i felt stressed or overwhelmed.Both my parents loved and cared about ALL their children.The pit falls i succame to were mine alone.I would binge eat at night so nobody in my family would judge me.Removing from my loving parents would have rocked my existance and most likely cause more problems.As an adult i am trying to do better and change my habits for the sake of my family.It is a problem that was hard for me to face.I never felt much diffrent though.I went on dates had a large social group and never hated myself.If an outside source tried to come and tell me im too fat and take me from a family who knew i was overweight but thought i was beautiful anyway it would have broken me.

jerseygirl76

Posted at 3:33 PM on July 14, 2011

NR…they don’t mean when the child is born, they are saying when they get older and are overweight. That can be controled. You can’t control how big your child is when they are born, but you can control what you feel them ONCE they are born.

And yes, obese kids should be taken away from their parents.

NR

Posted at 8:35 PM on July 13, 2011

I know this is wrong my children when they were born were considered obese. They were 8 lbs 15 ozs and 10 lbs and 4 ozs. I’m sorry but there is no way to control that.