Kody Brown & His Sister Wives Are Fighting To Make Polygamy Legal — Good For Them!

Tue, July 12, 2011 4:31pm EDT by 22 Comments

Many may disagree with Kody’s lifestyle and personal decisions, but that doesn’t change the fact that the government should not have the right to arrest him and his wives for the way they choose to live their lives!

Kody Brown and Lady Gaga may have more in common than one would ever think — they are both campaigning for equal rights when it comes to marriage! Kody’s lawyer Jonathan Turley wrote on his blog, “I will be traveling to Salt Lake City today to file (on Wednesday) a challenge to the Utah statute criminalizing bigamy and cohabitation. The lawsuit will be filed on behalf of my clients, the Brown family.” Go Kody!

The Brown family may seem like the nation’s most unlikely civil rights fighters, but they make a completely valid point. Just as homosexuals are (slowly) being granted equal treatment with heterosexuals in the marriage arena, polygamists too should be given equal rights.

To that end, the Browns are even invoking Lawrence V. Texas, the now famous overturning of Texas’ anti-sodomy law, which stated the government had no control over the intimate and private acts of consenting adults.

Now some will of course think this will lead to child brides and cite the all-to-frequent problems of women held against their will in some polygamous faiths but, to be honest, it seems like far less of a worry once it is being monitored. As much as this is about the government not being involved in the personal lives of the Brown family, it also means the government will have an official record of these unions should they occur — and no 14-year-old girl is going to be able to sing a marriage certificate to a 50-year-old man.

It remains to be seen how the Browns will fair, but as anyone on the show has seen, Kody and his wives appear to have a completely healthy and upstanding relationship. Just because it may not be your choice does not mean others should not have the option. And don’t forget that this would be a two-way street — a woman could take a couple of husbands for herself.

Sadly, we will not get to hear the famous gay quip that the Bible says polygamy is against God’s will should this become a national argument. Jacob, Esau, Gideon, and our old pal Solomon collected wives like Carrie Bradshaw did heels.

What do you think HollywoodLifers?

Bieber Obsessed? Read More!

1. Justin Bieber Visits Cheesecake Factory Again…So Much For Healthy Eating!
  2. Justin & Selena Make Beautiful Music Together…At The Voodoo Karaoke Lounge!
  3. Will Justin Bieber’s ‘Baby’ Music Video Get Deleted Off YouTube Forever?a>

-Chris Spargo

El Larson

Posted at 12:08 PM on June 25, 2012

I just read all the other posts on this site….and I find I am more confused…I don’t have a TV so I can’t watch the shows… all I get is what I read and what I see on the internet….I guy I am with has felt this way since his early 20’s and he has been married 3 different times…to separate women. not all at the same time…but he did tell the last 2 that at some point he felt that he would take another wife….his wife now has some medical issues. and she had known before they where married 17 years ago that he would one day take a new wife….being me….she has been supportive in this, even helping him pick me as the wife…now she is hesitant to the point of not wanting us seen together anymore…we live in a very rural area…this has really hurt me…..like my daughter told me the other day I am a very high priced bought and paid for ?????. and that really does hurt….he has not even come forward and told his family…and that hurts…I feel like that dirty secret in the closet…what am I to do…

El Larson

Posted at 11:55 AM on June 25, 2012

I would like to know how the fight is going to legalize pologmy….I am in a relationship with a man who has another wife….we live in seperate homes….we are in our 50’s…and he has always felt that he would one day have 2 wives…we have been together for 5 years now…and I did change my last name to his….that is as legal as I could get…but I would love to be able to marry him….and be his real wife….can you help me….

Melissa

Posted at 7:18 PM on February 12, 2012

Only if u legalize polygyny! Goes both ways boys- watch what u wish for, loyalty gives what loyalty gets! Brother husbands! How bout it?

Angel

Posted at 3:43 PM on December 23, 2011

SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK! If that is ever disgusting! If that happens I am MOVING TO A DIFFERENT COUNTRY because not only is it shovenistic and empowering idiotic men who think they are all that, its crazy and hard for children and INSANE! @jodie wolfe Ok you’re a weirdo I mean SICK AND INSANE CREEP! stay away from the world.

Edith

Posted at 5:54 PM on December 2, 2011

Robin has been taking more than her fair share of Kodys time she is a whining sniveling instigator he should soon be getting himself the next wife now that the baby is born,Robin will have to deal with it.The kids are upset because they have enough children but Kody just cant keep it in his pants.yet they complain about money.WHAT are they NUTS..the kids keep talking about university …..who in blue blazes is going to pay for it? I figure they should soon be on the run again when the next teenage wife joins them ( Kody seems to find them younger) soon he will be old enough to be the wifes dad.

jodie wolfe

Posted at 1:24 AM on November 29, 2011

i want to be the fifth wife. I want to live the way god intended it to be. life filled with love and childern, I think that I would be a great fit with the rest of the sister wives. I have wanted to do this for a long time. Please consider this.

Bonnie

Posted at 12:20 AM on May 15, 2012

You need to read the New Testament.. That is not the way GOD wants us to live our lives. Are you smoking crack?????? Your ignorant.

Don

Posted at 11:49 PM on June 12, 2012

What Bible are you reading? As far as I can find there is nothing is all the Bible against polygamy. What I can find tells me it is very exceptable. Right now some people are saying that Jesus isn’t divine because there is proof that Christ was married and had children. A Greek thinker of the time claims that he was living polygamy. That was part of the reason for his crucifiction. He was going against the Roman/Greek culture which followed monogamy while attending orgies. But even if Jesus was not married at all, there are no scriptures forbidding polygamy in the New or Old Testements.

Josie

Posted at 9:33 PM on October 5, 2011

I think polygamy and same-sex marriage should be legalized in the United States. It boggles my mind that we are still following legislation that was established based on religion. What happened to the separation of church and state?! Let consenting adults marry whom they wish to marry. End of story.

Bonnie

Posted at 11:00 PM on December 25, 2011

END OF YOUR STORY.

zainab

Posted at 12:04 AM on August 9, 2011

The last 3 are not even registered with the state, so how is he even contravening state law. Why is it that we don’t mind a man having mistresses, but gut forbid he would want to sanctify it.

zainab

Posted at 12:06 AM on August 9, 2011

that should read “god Forbid”

Ella

Posted at 4:14 PM on October 13, 2011

Teh law says that marital like cohabitation is included.

Edith

Posted at 5:57 PM on December 2, 2011

wondering if your hubby decieded to bring his girlfriend home to share the house how you would feel.other than Meri they are not married so its just a new girlfriend coming to share the home.

Alice

Posted at 7:21 PM on February 12, 2012

Ok zanib… Hope ya don’t mind your wife bringing home her boy toy hehe :)

kd

Posted at 3:43 PM on July 13, 2011

Hell, I have one husband and I don’t even want him. I wish I could afford to divorce him.

Bonnie

Posted at 11:01 PM on December 25, 2011

HA HA, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. THEY ALL SUCK.

kd

Posted at 3:41 PM on July 13, 2011

You say that a woman would be able to have more than one husband. Why would she want to have more than one? Just more idiotic, immature crap to have to put up with.

Edith

Posted at 6:03 PM on December 2, 2011

to bad they cant have more than just old Kody.Why should they have to be alone all the time.boy would kody yell if he ever found one of them with another guy.

Annette

Posted at 11:34 PM on July 12, 2011

I watch the show and they arent hurting anyone they arent asking anyone to agree with their life style they seem to be happy and healthy and everyone should leave them alone!!!

Edith

Posted at 6:01 PM on December 2, 2011

are you not listing to the kids?you think it was ok to just pull them from friends and family? they said they didnt want to move ,they say they have enough kids. robin whines because they dont like her kids and they are yelled at by Meri.to many mothers not enough law clearly some of them would be better of with the father.

Courtney

Posted at 10:59 PM on June 12, 2012

Also why is it legal for a man to get multiple woman pregant and pay each of his children child support. He works a minimum wage job and each child only gets $1.50 a month in child support…. that’s not illegal. The Browns are taking care of their children, but its because he is married to the women… so what the law is saying is that he can get them pregnant, live in the same house, raise a family with the woman, but he cannot legally be married to more than just one… Meri. It dosen’t make sense to me as to why it is illegal when either way they would have families. He is just trying to make it legal. Their family shouldn’t have to live in fear of separation and jail.