Kate Middleton's Sheer Stockings: Are Her Pantyhose Practical Or A Fashion Faux Pas?

Tue, July 12, 2011 2:56pm EST by 28 Comments

Sheer pantyhose are still scoffed at in many fashion circles — and while I understand why Kate might be wearing them, does this mean she’s going to revive the trend?

Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, was glowing while making various appearances on the Royal Tour — and we aren’t talking about her face! Her legs gave off a sheen, thanks to sheer pantyhose. The stockings, which were big in the ’80s, aren’t really a big trend especially for summer — but they look like a royal requirement! Queen Elizabeth, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie all sport hose when they’re out and about at official engagements. Considering the material of the countless dresses Kate wore on the tour coupled with all her appearances, it really isn’t surprising that Kate wore something that would smooth her out. While I don’t find her stockings particularly stylish, if there’s one thing Kate can do, it’s start a trend — and it looks like that’s exactly what’s happening!

The Daily Mail reports that Tightsplease have seen a 90% increase in sales of nude tights compared to last year, while Selfridges reported a 40% year-on-year rise.

Apparently Buckingham Palace has a very strict dress code for women! Rita Wilson, Tom Hanks‘s wife, shared the dress code of a recent white-tie event with Harper’s Bazaar, saying, “The palace dress requirements say that women… must wear closed-toed shoes – and get this: stockings! Sheer disbelief – I don’t even own a pair of sheer hose.”

While you may not be expected to follow royal protocol, you can still get the look from the likes of Wolford Naked 8s, Satin Touch 20s, Falke’s Shelina tights, and Pretty Polly’s Naturals range — but are you a fan of pantyhose?

Tami

Posted at 1:58 PM on March 16, 2013

I, too, have never understood the nylon haters. Nylons always make my outfits elegant, polished, and chic. Seriously, bare legs are SO tacky and lazy with a dress, skirt, or suit. In addition, men seem to love the look sheer hosiery gives. I always get looks and compliments from men when I am wearing nylons. My boyfriend tells me men love the look. I think they miss the feminine style and feel of nylons. It’s time the nylon haters get off their soap box and realize glamour and elegance are back in style. Thank you, Kate!

Susan

Posted at 1:22 AM on February 14, 2013

I’ve never understood this new trend. As a women it makes no sense to me why women would think their legs look better bare. I think part of the problem is the quality of hosiery available in the US. I had to start shopping online to get the higher quality European brands. Far superior to Leggs. Trust me ladies it makes a difference! Quality hosiery looks, fits, and feels better on your legs. I can’t tell you how many men comment and or stare at my legs every time I display them in nylons and heels. My husband absolutely loves my legs in hose. I love to take him shoe shopping with me. I’ll wear a pair of shorts, shiny sheer tan nylons and heels or strappy high heel sandals. That’s right it’s possible to pull off sandals with the right pair of hose. The secret is in the sheerness. Men everywhere we go can’t take their eyes off my legs. I get glares from their women like I’m some kind of tramp but I know it’s because I’m dressed the way their man wishes they would. I also get compliments from women and me alike. One guy went so far as to tell my husband he had never seen a sexier pair of legs and feet in heels and asked if he could take a picture of my feet and legs. He snapped a couple quick photos with his phone and then smiled and thanked us. Sweet guy actually. Ladies figure this out!!

Steve

Posted at 12:18 AM on January 3, 2013

I have long awaited the return of hosiery.The first time I saw a pair of heels without hose I shuttered aloud.That being said, I would imagine they are uncomfortable in the hot summer months, and I can understand their absense during that time.But, ladies, many of us find your nylon clad legs extremely appealing!!Something to keep in mind on the cooler nights!

TampaGuy

Posted at 10:51 AM on August 7, 2012

I’ll try to keep this short. Somehow doing some research for nylon (the kind used in plastic nuts and bolts) I came across this. I read it looking to be humored. I ended up thinking about how it affected me. I’m a guy, 45 years old. I was recently on the dating market after a divorce. I tried online dating. I actually ended up using the fact that the women wearing some kind of hosiery were probably better for me than those who don’t wear them. Professionally I’m pretty financially successful. I was also a major in one of the fine arts in college. Being well off, I contribute to some charities and though I’m not on the “A List” of donors I’m known well enough that I get invited to quite a few fundrasiers every year. My fine arts background combined with my charity support gets me season seats to two theaters and the symphony.

So here I am on the dating market. And the women I met were god awful dressers. I asked one to meet me for drinks. Her profile looked like she understood how to dress. She shows up in old faded jeans with beach flip flops. Saying I was embarrased was an understatement. For two months I discovered that all too many women are clueless when it comes to knowing how to dress appropriately. Too mant women think “dressing up” means wearing their cleanest pair of jeans and newest pair of beach flipflops.

One girl told me she had 15 pair of shoes, all identical foam flip flops. Fifteen!! Know why? She liked them so much that was the only shoe she was going to wear for the next few years. She was serious. She showed up at the theater in a sequin dress and the same shoes that she wears when she does yard work!

So as shallow as it seemed, I began to look for women with full length photos who were wearing some kind of hosiery. These women tended to be more intelligent, more self confident and better as a person.

And be honest with yourself. Most of you don’t have the legs to go bare. You have full working lives, your legs get used and abused. You’re not “Stacy”, with a full crew behind you to spray, primp, tease and prepare you for your camera shot. And oh, by the way, I saw her in a commerical a few times. I asked around to some guys. None of us really think her legs is all that attractive. You may think spray on tans or tanning booths are “the bomb”. Sorry, we don’t.

Randy

Posted at 11:13 PM on June 23, 2012

Though it is hard to believe, I am actually starting to see sheer/tan stockings out there again (yeah!!). I mean I would estimate perhaps 1 in 30 or so and summer is here. I can’t get over how much better a woman looks with stockings. Are they all nuts going bare-legged???

I have actually been a little disappointed with Kate lately; quite a few bare-legged shots laely.

Jeff

Posted at 1:12 PM on June 23, 2012

There’s a reasonable time and place for everything.

American culture in general has taken “casual Fridays” to an extreme. There is now almost no reason for men and women to dress like, well – in short – mature men and women. The last wedding I attended – in winter 2012 – in the mountains – 200 + guests – no more than 20 neckties to be found and a sea of bare, pasteu vein covered legs… Not a single lady under 70 wearing a dress had the common good taste to don leg- wear to a winter wedding.

When it’s 80+ degrees – please be comfortable ladies. Common sense and practicality dictates comfort. But if the event is formal – please adjust accordingly.

Aesthetics do matter ladies – please stop pretending they don’t!!

Natasha

Posted at 11:53 PM on May 17, 2012

Look, here’s the thing ladies – 90% of us, whether you realize it or not, have cellulite and/or stretch marks to some degree. I personally have both in spades (and I’m only 23, so it’s not an age thing). A lot of you won’t notice that you have it too because sometimes it’s not obvious until you’re out in full sunlight, but trust me – it doesn’t look good. Not covering that stuff up makes you look lazy, like you just don’t care. I wear black, gray, or sheer tights EVERY time I wear a skirt or dress to really pull everything together. I promise you, it will make you look so much better!

Les Cherry

Posted at 2:32 PM on February 21, 2012

Kate’s beauty is beyond words. Everything about her is so very much what both men and women find irresistable. From her perfect legs, accentuated by those sexy stockings, to that terrific smile.The new dictionaries should simply have this photo of Kate as their definition of Princess.

Tracy Romero

Posted at 9:13 PM on February 15, 2012

Thank God that somebody finally is bringing this back. It is time for the sheer-stocking haters to just drop it (e.g. Stacy London, and the gay guy too).
Kate looks phenominal in her sheer hose. 9940 of 10000 women will look better in sheer hose than bare-legged. Women just don’t care any more. It is LAZINESS.
Somehow, the hose-hating fashionistas like Stacy London, who just don’t like sheer hose IN ANY CASE, started declaring them as a fashion faux pas. Stacy likes to go bare-legged (which she USED to get away with), so you SHOULD go bare legged. Then they all started telling us that “bare Looks Better” than the look with stockings. This woman is out of her mind.
We have been told by fashionistas like Ms London, and of all people – gay men, that we look better with bare legs. Oh, just use some tanning cloths, or some spray-on makeup. Like that is good for the skin…
So we are getting advise from sheer-stocking haters and gay men. I don’t know about you, but I dress the way I do so that I look professional AND attractive to others. That means mostly men in our workplace. Skirts/dresses always look better than pant suits. And I can tell you that legs matched with a proper shade of sheer hose ALWAYS look better than a bare leg. The Gay guys be damned; I want to look attractive to Straight-Men. I am not dressing to impress the other women at work, I am dressing for men AND to look professional.
Gentlemen DO prefer Hanes. The research is just so easy to do. You could take identical twins, dressed in the same outfits, and the one wearing quality sheer hose will win every time (well, I mean with respect to straight men).
So how is it that so many women think that they look better with bare legs? I just don’t get it. Going camping, or the beach…fine. But seeing women at recent formal affairs (even in winter) with bare legs, all I can think of is that they are either Lazy, Cheap, or just brainwashed by the likes of Stacy London. Weddings and dresses equate to stockings – period. Funerals warrant the same.
Now talking about formal “faux pas” events, how about the First Lady going bare-legged to meet the queen. Who the HELL does she think she is? That was such an insult to the queen. Like it would have killed her? I was embarrased as a citezen when that story made news. Yes, the first lady is among the brainwashed.
Look at kate, tell me that she doesn’t look divine? What the hell is wrong with US to think this was somehow something to fault her for.

Kate, Thank You.

Stacy, me thinks that you must be getting pretty blind. I have seen your legs up close. Trust me, they aren’t as nice as you might think. I wonder how bad your legs are going to have to be before it suddenly becomes OK to wear sheer hose.

Myself, I am feeling much better now that other women are getting the hint. They never looked better. I have noticed that they have actually taken the entire waredrobe up a few notches, now that they are wearing quality sheer hose to work.
To all the other women….look at the swinging watch….you are falling into a deep sleep…now you are not to believe the bad fashion advice telling you that sheer hose are wrong…OK when I count to three, you will no longer think sheer hose are bad, and will not listen to any new brainwashing attempts at telling you otherwise…one, two three!

Joe Everyman

Posted at 9:52 PM on December 30, 2011

I basically echo what everyone else below has said with their good comments. Pantyhose (or any form of nylons) always have been sexy and made women’s legs look more attractive. Some women do have tanned, well cared for legs, but they are in the minority. Many of the barelegged women look godawful and unprofessional. These young women need to have a mind of their own about this stuff and not listen to everything that these fashion bloggers tell them. This whole barelegged idea only seems exclusive to the U.S. and our silly media (go figure). Hopefully, the worm has started to turn.

Garrett

Posted at 1:47 PM on December 2, 2011

Ladies, especially the otherwise hot ones, please, for everyone’s sake, wear hose. It looks great on you and does a few things to us.

David

Posted at 9:52 PM on November 19, 2011

Newsflash ladies … the last ten years your legs have looked like hell. No we do not have any right to tell you how to dress, but for God’s sake and all that’s holy, do you have to go out of your way to look gross? Stockings and pantyhose make your legs look much more beautiful and sexy … and don’t pretend that doesn’t mean something, even in the “business world” If Kate is heralding a new age of nylon stockings, then God bless her! I have been noticing ion mid-town Manhattan a distinctive trend back to nylons … and I don’t just mean the opaque thick tights, either … we’re talking sheer nylon, both black and tan. Let’s hope for the sake of Wolford and Hanes that they are finally back to stay!

Ron

Posted at 9:31 PM on November 13, 2011

Tan sheer pantyhose nylon stockings are very sexy and all women should wear them.

SKF

Posted at 8:06 AM on October 13, 2011

Stockings are great when you’re on your feet all day long. I’m guessing that’s part of the challenge. They also keep you from developing blisters and keep your heel from rubbing against the shoe and developing a sore. They also give the leg a finished look.

David

Posted at 9:55 PM on November 19, 2011

God bless you, SKF. Glad to hear a sexy woman finally lead the cheer for nylon stockings!

Quinn

Posted at 12:41 AM on August 6, 2011

Kate is great. She looks hot and knows it without bowing to feminists. Feminists are always ugly girls… why buy into their BS. They just want you to be part of the least common denominator. Men are too kind to tell you, but your legs look like crap without hose in a business world. Basicallly you look like men at the beach wearing shorts.

California

Posted at 7:14 AM on July 23, 2011

Luv those legs!
Especially in her elegant pantyhose!
My boyfriend goes wild for me in silky sheers like this.
Beautiful look and quite sexy!
– Lauren

Joe

Posted at 10:03 PM on July 16, 2011

Kate is gorgeous in pantyhose. She is a true Pantyhose Princess!

William

Posted at 12:16 PM on July 14, 2011

Thank goodness someone besides some knobby bare legged Hollywood actress can show American women/girls how to dress properly.

I have news for you. Bare legs never looked good. Flip flips belong in the shower or beach. Black nail polish belongs in the Gothic club. There is nothing feminine about any of that.

Spend some money on fine hosiery. There is no substitute for a woman’s legs.
You will look totally polished and very sexy.

CMonLadies

Posted at 9:16 AM on July 15, 2011

You said it so well! Ladies, how about dressing like one? Get rid of the flipflops!
Heels and hose.

Terry

Posted at 1:20 AM on July 14, 2011

I Wish Many Women Knew How Important Socks or Stockings Are To Their Feet. Besides Keeping Their Feet Cleaner They Help Prevent Caluses and Blisters A Friend of Mine Who Was a Diabetic Actually Died After Having Her Leg Amputated After Getting a Blister On Her Foot That Wouldnt Heal I Also Think Stocking Feet are Sexy. .

Ron

Posted at 12:58 AM on July 14, 2011

Pantyhose are not just practical, but they are very complimentary to a woman’s legs. It’s nice to see this ‘trend’ is not dying out. Hopefully Kate can bring it back.

Johnny

Posted at 5:34 PM on July 13, 2011

The so called “Fashionistas” need to SHUT UP AND QUIT TELLING PEOPLE WHAT IS COOL OR NOT COOL TO WEAR!!!! I can’t believe how blind, deaf and dumb some people can be. I actually have always thought pantyhose added a sexy touch to a woman and there are plenty of women who have still worn pantyhose without falling prey to the bare-legged trend. Those ladies should be proud of themselves for standing up for pantyhose.
PANTYHOSE NOW AND FOREVER!!!

Marina

Posted at 4:42 PM on July 13, 2011

A comeback?! Seriously?!

Pantyhose (and especially sheer one’s) are “IN” in Denmark (lol) and they have always been. Why freeze to death in shorts and bare legs when you can wear sheer pantyhose underneath, almost invisible?

Mj

Posted at 2:28 PM on July 13, 2011

The emperor’s clothes of the last 30 years has been women wearing bare legs! Now unless your pulling down half a mil a year as a leg model your legs don’t look good enough to run around with bare legs that’s how little girls dress,not grown up.

JLoveshose

Posted at 9:35 AM on July 13, 2011

I love the fact that Kate wears pantyhose I pray they are truly making a comeback! I love pantyhose!

disco

Posted at 3:52 PM on July 12, 2011

Great for the office and concealing fake tan mistakes or spider veins for those of us that have them.

hopefully with out a control top!