'Desperate Housewives' Could End Next Season… And I'm OK With That. Are You?

Tue, July 12, 2011 5:32pm EDT by 9 Comments
Courtesy of ABC

Do you agree it’s time for ‘Desperate Housewives’ to join Mary-Alice in the great beyond?

It’s hard to believe we’ve spent seven long years with the ladies of Wisteria Lane, but it really has been one heck of a ride. That’s why TV Guide‘s report — that Desperate Housewives‘ upcoming eighth season could be its last — comes as neither a surprise, nor a disappointment.

Don’t get me wrong: Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman, Marcia Cross and Eva Longoria will always have a special place in my heart — and my DVR — but at some point, we all need to realize when a good thing has simply run its course. I used to get excited for Sunday nights, anxious to see which new piece of the overall puzzle creator Marc Cherry would deliver to his captive audience. And while the show hasn’t become unwatchable by any stretch of the imagination, its pieces just don’t seem to fit the way they used to.

Like most things on TV, the show’s renewal next spring comes down to ratings. With Paul Young out of the way, Susan and her gang of girlfriends will have to face two new enemies — NBC’s Monday Night Football and CBS’ The Good Wife. (And it’ll take more than a few poisoned casseroles to take them down!)

If this really is the beginning of the end for the Housewives, are you ready to say goodbye?

Hartley Services Soakaways

Posted at 5:33 PM on May 15, 2012

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this publish and if I could I want to suggest you some attention-grabbing things or suggestions. Perhaps you could write subsequent articles regarding this article. I desire to learn even more things about it!

buy microsoft office 2010

Posted at 5:20 PM on May 14, 2012

Valuable information. Lucky me I found your web site by chance, and I’m shocked why this accident didn’t came about earlier! I bookmarked it.

oldsoul25

Posted at 9:55 AM on August 3, 2011

I agree it’s time for the show to end. I thought Season six was pretty bad at times but this past season improved a lot. I just hate that Marc Cherry won’t make a decision that this will be the last year instead of waiting to see how it does in the ratings. If it doesn’t get picked up they will hastily throw together a finale that will likely unsatisfying for fans. All great shows should spend their whole season preparing for the end so all story lines should be geared towards giving each character the finality they deserve. The fans who have watched for 8 years deserve a great ending to this beloved show.

James A.

Posted at 3:35 AM on July 31, 2011

I have watched every episode multiple times since it previewed and want it to end on a high note without gimmicks. So,this should be the last season.

Luis

Posted at 12:17 AM on July 17, 2011

Here a fan of the show since season 1…
But yes, the show must end. They are repeating storylines, and wasting actors talent. They are not funny the way they were from season 3 onwards, and yet they are not as amazing/interesting as they were in season 1. Besides, it is a cartoonish show (everyone dies and not in a good way). I’ll love season 9 if it ever happens but I think it’s time to say goodbye.

billy martins

Posted at 1:00 PM on July 13, 2011

i think i’am saddened that this season maybe it’s last but i was hoping that desperate housewives gets a least one more yr on abc i also already knew that they network wanted to get rid already cause u can tell it’s been so long on sundays now they have tough competition being against nfl &the good wife but time will only know if they show will get to see a ninth season.in other in my opinion desperate housewives should have there first run of thirteen episode this season than break it up for the winter then return they reminder of they episodes in they spring

Evan

Posted at 6:00 AM on July 13, 2011

I think it was pretty lame after the third season. Too bad for me that I am such a creature of habit and kept watching…

Michelle

Posted at 7:12 PM on July 12, 2011

Not okay with this AT ALL. I think it could definitely survive a couple more seasons.

TheFlyGuy2

Posted at 5:40 PM on July 12, 2011

No, the show can easily survive two more seasons. Though the ratings have dipped, the show still performs very well for an aging drama. I think that with improved writing, darker storylines and a real season-long mystery, the show may stableize and could work well for ABC over the next several seasons.