'Basketball Wives' Star Shaunie O'Neal: 'I'm Not Happy Right Now'

Mon, July 11, 2011 5:52pm EST by 116 Comments
Courtesy of VH1

The executive producer and star of ‘Basketball Wives’ tells us what we can expect for the rest of the season and why she’s less than pleased with her hit show!

Basketball Wives may have a major following, but a large audience is not the only goal Shaunie O’Neal had when she became an executive producer on the popular reality show. In fact, she’s upset with the direction in which the show is going and is ready to make some big changes this season!
“I want to show us being loving girlfriends/mothers/sisters, not just what’s going to spike the ratings,” Shaunie O’Neal tells HollywoodLife.com exclusively at the debut of Shaunie’s 7 “Must-Haves” from the Spring/Summer 2011 Chinese Laundry collection.

This on the heels of a controversial blog she wrote for CNN.com complaining about the way African American women are portrayed on TV.

“The problem for me is when black women are portrayed as only being that way and labeled different than their non-black counterparts for the same type of behavior,” she writes. “That’s when it becomes negative and damaging to our image.”

That’s not to say her show isn’t doing the exact same thing she’s condemning, she tells us. “I agree that unfortunately our show is one of the reasons that black woman are portrayed how they are,” she admits. “My vision was different and I’m fighting to have it done correctly and in a more positive way.”

One of the biggest things she’s doing to stay true to her vision is keeping the fighting to a minimum for the rest of the season. “I’m hoping there will be less drama!” she says, adding, “But you can expect to see a very exciting moment in Rome in the upcoming season so keep an eye out for the Rome episodes.”

Regardless of what happens for the rest of the season, Shaunie has a positive outlook on the show in general. “I’m not happy right now, but definitely trying to work with the show to put as much positivity on Basketball Wives as I can.”

We’ll be watching!

Get More Basketball Wives:

1. ‘Basketball Wives’ Star Jennifer Williams Blogs: I Need Time To Heal Before Dating Seriously Again!
  2. ‘Basketball Wives’ Recap: Evelyn & Tami Have a Relationship Like…Ike and Tina?
  3. Basketball Wives’ Recap: Evelyn Gets Foul Mouthed & Out of Control At A Polo Match!

lanakai

Posted at 10:26 PM on May 14, 2012

too late shaunie, the image is etched in stone, these women are low grade trash acting like jr high gang bangers threatening violence every tieme there is a disagreement

low IQ level is a factor, that is why african americans are always protrayed as solving issues with threat and violence”ladies lieke you

joyce coates

Posted at 12:49 PM on May 8, 2012

It is sad to watch this show and how it portray mothers with daughters and how the bullying, disrespect, profanity, jealousy, evil, hatred, self-obession, selfishness, and all sorts of character defects that is continue regularly week after week after week. This show should be taken off the air. How are we to grow collectively as beautiful Nubian Queens and ask for the respect from our Kings when grown middle age women like you profit off such disgrace. Shauna, I fault you for promoting this mess. How do you expect any good to come out this? Remember, what goes around comes around and you have children and should be setting an example on how God’s children should be treated and not profit off of others weaknesses. I don’t respect any of you!!!!!!!

nakomas

Posted at 4:36 PM on February 28, 2012

Good to know that Shaunie is considerind some changes to the show ’cause it has become a real train wreck with all the physical fighting,the over the top language(especially Evelyn); what is the objective with this show?As the mother of a young black teenage girl,I really hate the picture depicted as to how these women of athelets carry themselves ’cause eventually it can affect black women and how the public sees them.I really liked this show early on but now it’s really geting ugly;this is like the worst kind of behavior to see in women of any race so Shaunie, I really hope you bring about some changes. Sincerely,Nakomas

deborah e.

Posted at 3:36 PM on September 13, 2011

I watch the show and I like watching it. I can see Shaunie being a little disappointed. She acutually like some of these people and in some way they are loyal to her. I like seeing how they live the good life. What I dont like is a person who is not sure of who they are. Suzies’ only problem that she need to make a decision and be woman enough to own it. She is not responsible for anybody else but herself. As a woman and a human being noone could or should ever be able to have powers over your decisions. This is the thing that I like about Royce and Tammy. They stand by their convictions right or wrong. As I read more and more about these women, I find that some of them, maybe all are educated. This is what I am looking for is who you are outside of being a basketwife. I see how you enjoy the lavish life, now show me what you are working. Good luck to you Shaunie O’neal.

Labrea Austin

Posted at 10:17 PM on September 12, 2011

Show was ALOT BETTER when it was jus Shaunie,Jen, Evelyn,Tammi, and late great Meeka. this season the women are judgmental and act as if everything has always been roses for them.. You would think because their grown they would have a better sense of judgment, their only mad because Draya is young she is pretty and is a threat.. I dont understand y Imani feel lik she should know n e thing. WHO ARE YOU?? ugh i use to watch the show but i now ive changed my mind unless its the original crew i will no longer watch this…

Sharon

Posted at 3:25 PM on August 31, 2011

I understand Shaunie but if you want to make that change, you better make it fast because it’s exactly how I portray majority of the African American women on TV.
It seems as though you allow drama to keep happening.
I see the problem is Suzie for having the symtom of “diarrhea” of the mouth. Though she states that she is only providing information because she is scared that the girls are going to eventually find out but I think she yaps and yaps because she wants to stir the pot. Suzie does it well, though, she victimizes herself and uses particular words to act as if she has no choice but to talk. She can just shut up and think before she speaks: If she has the ability to think.
Second, I think soon to be Mrs. Ocho should calm down and stop acting like a thug. She is such a beautiful woman with potentials but still chooses to be a Puerto Rican thug.
Jennifer can get over herself. I like her to, yet I like all the members but all of them have flaws and problems. Jennifer needs to get over herself and get her head out of her @$$. You’re beautiful but not that beautiful.
As for Meeka, you just made yourself a fool by trying too hard. You could have been your self and done good.
Tammy, took a cheap shot. I love her the most but it was a cheap shot.
All in all, I do like the show but Shaunie better really look into who is stirring the pot—> hint hint Suzie.
Yes, reality TV show needs drama but you can do it another way. :)

Rawlings

Posted at 11:17 AM on September 2, 2011

This is what I have been saying all along. Suzie knows exactly what she is doing. Keeping these black women fighting all the time acting like she is trying to keep them friends, that is a lie. Actually she loves to see these women fighting, she probably go home with her family and laugh. They all need to wise up and see that she is a trouble maker put her off of the show. I can’t understand if these women are supposed to be so intelligent why can’t they see what Suzie is doing. If Suzie was so concerned she would keep her mouth shut!! You don’t start trouble you stop trouble before it get out of hand. I bet if one of them jumped on her she would keep her mouth closed then. We as Black Women let us come together stop allowing other race to cause us to battle all the time, we are beautiful women we need to stop being jeolous and competing with each other we don’t need to do that all of us have our own unique beauty.. Basketball wives wake up and see what Suzie is doing to each one of you! She is not your friend.

Dawn

Posted at 2:29 AM on August 30, 2011

I no longer find any of these women half-way likable but petty, tacky, vicious, mean and evil. I and my circle of friends are done with this kinds of Reality shows.
Good luck with your Junior High-school viewers!

Annie

Posted at 2:24 AM on August 30, 2011

All of this what I said and didn’t say Tammie and Meeka crap can be settled by showing a repeat of the episode when it was said to squash it once and for all!

I no longer find a single one of these women a Mother Fu..king Factor! Sign me an tuned out ex-viewer!

Kay is Sick of this!

Posted at 2:20 AM on August 30, 2011

Shaunie O’Neal needs to call Tyra Banks asap and find out how Tyra has produced her Reality show, America’ Top Model with the least amount of trash-less gutterful drama!
If the show does not become more positive and the women more likable they all will be a None M.F. Factor!
Too bad we have a show by the same title in LA with more of the same trash. Do you honestly think intelligent viewers will
keep watching. Don’t fool yourselves ex-basketball women you the viewers you will be left with are the Maury and Springer viewers while decent people will be AWOL!

Very Concerned

Posted at 4:57 AM on August 22, 2011

I’m up late and decided to look at the part 1 review show again. Wow this is really sad. Is this what black women in America have become? Talking about diary of a mad black woman +2. These women know what they were getting into when they married the basketball players. Well I guess only 4 are real basketball wives, Meeka, Shaunie, Tammy, and Jen. They knew the men were not faithful. These women wanted the fame and fortune. Then they holla adultry after they become famous and get a little attention from the media. Poor examples for their daughters, and all the young women in the world.

db

Posted at 5:30 PM on August 20, 2011

YES HONEY LEARN HOW TO SPELL. ITS THIS KIND OF DUMBNESS THAT FOLLOWS

D

Posted at 2:32 AM on August 30, 2011

What are you the grammar Police? A typo is nothing compared to these stupid Reality shows!

FAJIER

Posted at 3:12 PM on August 18, 2011

I think Shaunie is full of it. She can’t be saying she expects the show to take a different direction. It seems to me that she likes the drama. Even when Evelyn was playing her self out about Meeka’s earrings Shaunie, smiling, found it amusing. She even commented to watch the Rome episodes, and that was more drama than anything. The way she read that letter out after the fight with Meeka was tasteless and inappropriate. Furthermore, Shaunie stop!

Skylar

Posted at 2:39 AM on August 30, 2011

I kept hanging in there for 2 Seasons like you continue to watch a bad movie hoping it gets better. Too bad it only got progressively worst. These Basketball Wives are a fraud anyway they are mostly all Ex’s and their men has-beens!

In my world this Reality show trash is now a NONE M.F. Factor!

You blew a chance of being influential,likable, positive role models for women. So long, farewell!

maggy

Posted at 10:35 AM on September 6, 2011

I am so with you on this SHAUNIE is not fit to be in charge of anything .A two years old can manage these ladies better than she does.any one can see Suzie is the problem with her big mouth instead of calling it for what it is they all take pleasure in it including shaunie you fail big time.

paul w

Posted at 7:39 PM on August 17, 2011

I think these girls are ridiculous they should be ashamed of themselves. Street punks thats what they are they make african american women look bad.That one who threw her drink at Eric ghetto girl that one horse head of course he should have thrown a drink back in her face and now they make him look like a women beater. Got you back Eric

Willa

Posted at 11:25 PM on August 16, 2011

I expected to see the headliner of the show at least step up and take control of a bad situation when Tami kept her bullying up. Instead, she joined right in with Evelyn, Tami, and Jen against Meeka. She participated in laughing at Meeka at the dinner table while Tami made faces and noises when Meeka tried to talk. It’s childish and ridiculous behavior. I can’t seem to understand why everyone gets on Meeka for doing the same thing they all do? They all participate in talking about each other, behind each others’ backs. I just don’t get it. Why are Evelyn, Shaunie, and Tami so mean? Why would they accuse Meeka of being thirsty when they all utilize the show as a platform for their own careers? Why is it such a double standard? And lastly, for the life of me, can someone please enlighten me on why being in the circle is so important? Meeka can stand on her own. Royce can stand on her own. Jenn could learn to stand on her own, and Susie needs lessons. If anyone is trying way too hard, it’s Susie. Give me a break, this is high school mean girls all over again.

Pam

Posted at 2:35 PM on August 17, 2011

Well said!

db

Posted at 5:23 PM on August 20, 2011

I AGREE, I WISH I COULD SEE EDUCATED BLACK WOMEN MAKING OR HAVING A SHOW SOMETHING LIKE DONALD’S TRUMP SHOW. WHO CAN LAST THE LONGEST WITHOUT BEING FIRED. TEACH BLACK WOMEN WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW IN THE BUSINESS WORLD. NOT THIS IGNORANT GHETTO SH_T.

maggy

Posted at 10:46 AM on September 6, 2011

I have said that the first week Meeka came on.all of these ladies are bullys and back stabbers.Tami it does not matter how real you claim you are I think you are a coward stop picking on Meeka, Suzie is your problem ,all of you ladies problem,she does not know how to stop the gossip

Non-Basketball WIfe

Posted at 10:54 PM on August 15, 2011

I totally agree!!!

Wanda

Posted at 10:18 PM on August 15, 2011

This show needs to be off the air.

TeaCup

Posted at 7:52 AM on August 12, 2011

Why is Shaunie acting surprised by the turn of events.She is sitting there when the camera is rolling.The show is high-school drama.Royce is the realest one there and unliked.They are nothing but a bunch of bullies. Meeka should have pressed charges on Tami. The show should be called Basketball Bimbos. Meeka is the only wife there. Jennifer isn’t a wife , She’s Evelyn’s puppet.

FAJIER

Posted at 3:16 PM on August 18, 2011

EXACTLY

AtchisonKS

Posted at 2:03 PM on August 11, 2011

It is inevitable that there is so much cattiness and squabbling… with the exception of Shaunie, you’ve got oversexed, wannabe basketball groupies on the air and they are all jealous of each other for one reason or the other. The only two that I really like on there are Tami and Royce… Evelyn and Jennifer are real b*****s!!

Alisa

Posted at 11:55 AM on August 11, 2011

i love the show but i do agree that it is getting a little otragageos wth the messy ish!!! i would lke to see a lttle bit more sophistication because yall really making yall self look stupid when none of yall really aint hood but everybody tryna act like they are just be yall self and enjoy yall luxorous life but other than the bs i love the show!!!

Kay is Sick of this!

Posted at 2:45 AM on August 30, 2011

You love the show? Really? Does your mamma know you are sneaking to watch this show?

sunsninenerson

Posted at 12:54 AM on August 8, 2011

I love the show, i have nothing negative to say. If youre seeking role models, find a church, or family member you hold in high regard, and mimick them. Basketball wives is a strictly for adult entertainment. The ladies have different attitudes, ans backgrounds. Whether fabulous or ghetto, we can all identify with each one. I may not always agree, but keeagree, but Im glad to sed my sisters in the media. Shaunie, keep ut coming, boss lady. Peace

Dave

Posted at 2:54 AM on August 30, 2011

What you don’t get is shows like this ADVERSELY influence culture. Unlike a Church it comes right into our living rooms via our television sets and our teens think this is normal behavior and try to behave this way, then society is worst for it! Get a clue! Do you have kids and want them to model this trashy low-life behavior?

gottfried

Posted at 3:31 AM on August 31, 2011

my goodness…tami is a ghetto rat. too much fussing and fighting. was the same way her ex-basketball player. need to get out of ghetto mode. meeka is cool. they try hard to make her a black sheep. old girl desreve drink in her face. she asked for it. susie is like a kid. needs to grow up in bunches. for the show, think they are all beautiful women

Rawlings

Posted at 2:38 PM on September 2, 2011

That was silly you don’t have to be in a church to be a role model. Where do you come from? How can you identify fighting as entertainment? Ladies with nice attire fighting? WOW I hope you don’t have any children… Who are you mimicking? then you have the nerve to say Peace…LOL

Renee Smalls

Posted at 11:47 PM on August 7, 2011

Grow up……

Whatever Shaunie...

Posted at 9:37 PM on August 6, 2011

Dear Shaunie, you’ve already exploited women just to make a few $$ so you sold yourself to the devil already…knock it off oh fake one!!

Nia

Posted at 9:17 PM on August 6, 2011

The show went into a different and negative direction they didn’t give the new girl a chance. Isn’t the show about BBW’s the lifestyle and professional women of color? The way they treated the new addition was awful it kind of turned me off from the show.

FAJIER

Posted at 3:19 PM on August 18, 2011

I agree

maggy

Posted at 10:52 AM on September 6, 2011

I totally agree with you,they are bunch of bullies.they all know suzie is the problem,and they chose to attack meeka.

Thelma

Posted at 2:55 PM on August 6, 2011

I really like the show in the beginning, but now it seems like group of females just baggering each other. Then one person on the show has anger management issues, I dont think I need to call names. I would watch the show every week, but now my feelings have changed. Meeka the new girl on the show, I feel bad for because she really seems nice and I thought she was a good addition, but now I feel bad for her. This show is suppose african american women to have a show that can show ooff their strength now their ingorance towards one another. Before I watch it again somethings has to change. Susie does keep confusion happening all the time, tami does also. Clean up the act, show maturity.

tune out

Posted at 7:31 PM on September 3, 2011

Don’t tune in

Toz

Posted at 3:06 PM on August 5, 2011

I just don’t know how these broads hang out with each other and obviously cannot stand one another. Go all the way to Rome, Italy, but cannot appreciate what such an opportunity as Rome could offer, all the culture, all the history, and beautiful people a place like Rome possesses and they stink it up with foolish gossip, rhetoric and physical confrontations the entire trip! Utter blasphemy. I, too, agree that Shaunie knew that she was starting ISH by inviting Meeka, someone they all barely know! And knowing that Tami wasn’t feelin’ her as any of them weren’t. They are all flaky, snake, broads and need to concentrate on making their lives better and stop spending up their exes money on lavish trips that they are not sophisticated enough or worthy enough to appreciate!

angeldust

Posted at 11:30 PM on August 8, 2011

This show needs to be off of the air I agree with all the comments.