'The Voice's' Dia Frampton: 'I Still Don't Know Who Kris Allen Is'

Wed, July 6, 2011 4:29pm EDT by 48 Comments

Dia Frampton put herself on the map when performing Kanye’s ‘Heartless’ on ‘The Voice’ this year, and she reveals she still hasn’t checked out former ‘Idol’ contestant Kris Allen’s version!

Dia Frampton is in the midst of launching her singing career to new heights after her stint on The Voice. She sat down for an interview with our sister site TVLine.com and spoke about her future career and how scary it was to perform her own rendition “Heartless” for the first time. She also chatted about American Idol‘s Kris Allen again!

A month ago, Dia told HollywoodLife.com she hadn’t heard Kris Allen’s famous rendition of “Heartless” which he performed on Idol. She said she’d only listend to The Fray’s version. TVLine.com asked her about the Idol contestant’s season 8 performance and Dia answered, “Honestly, I still don’t know who Kris Allen is. I haven’t watched ‘Idol’ since Kelly Clarkson’s year, when I was a lot younger.”

She explains why she chose the Kanye West song to cover, “I wanted to slow down a hip-hop or R&B song, and “Heartless” was the best choice because of its lyrics; you can play with them. They’re still so emotional. It’s not like slowing down a Snoop Dogg song or something.” Dia played hers on the piano, while Kris had performed it with his guitar, which was her original intention. “I first started playing “Heartless” on the acoustic guitar, and Blake was the one who wanted to switch it up,” explains Dia, who reiterates that Blake Shelton introduced her to The Fray’s cover, from which she drew inspiration. “I was happy to do it, to get a little creative.”

Before Dia performed “Heartless” she was known for being part of the uncomfortable Serabee duet in the battle rounds. Did Dia know her Kanye cover would be a game-changer? “I didn’t know how anybody would take it. I liked it, but it’s scary to wonder what other people will think. I’m kind of eclectic and I like weird things, and on a lot of these types of shows, people want to hear someone belting out a Celine song,” confesses the singer. “The thing is, “Heartless” had to be changed. I don’t rap, obviously, and it was so not my style, the Kanye West way.”

Dia also said she doesn’t know if a deal with Universal Republic is imminent, but reveals she’s focusing on playing and writing at the moment. We’re sure she’ll continue to gain momentum and success, and can’t wait for a new album!

The last time we asked you, most of you preferred Kris’s rendition of “Heartless” over Dia’s cover. Do you still stand by that decision? Or are you more accustomed to Dia’s voice and tone now that you’ve heard a variety of her songs?

Lorena O’Neil

Love ‘The Voice’? Follow Lorena on Twitter

kitkat

Posted at 8:37 PM on July 9, 2011

She’s everything I hate about reality TV. She totally ripped off a song already rearranged by others (and a song which someone else on a reality show had already had a “big moment” with) and completely acted as if she had come up with it. The idiot judges on The Voice believed that she had arranged the song. The Voice started as a viable alternative to American Idol & then bit the dust. It’s even more boring & stupid than any other singing/dancing/performing show. Most of the finalists were boring, and the “judges” ended up looking like they didn’t know anything about popular music.

KNA

Posted at 12:12 AM on July 11, 2011

Dia has a nice voice, just not on this song. Kris Allen rules Heartless.

piiggywifey

Posted at 7:16 PM on July 9, 2011

It’s possible she hadn’t heard of Kris’ version before she sang it on the show, but I find it strange that she hadn’t found out who he was by now. I mean, I would.

As for the version — hello. No contest there. Kris Allen’s acoustic version simply ROCKS.

teeks

Posted at 12:51 PM on July 9, 2011

And how is that a dis to Kris Allen? newsflash: not everyone has to know a person you know, celebrities included.

artie

Posted at 11:31 AM on July 9, 2011

So, Dia does not know who Kris Allen is. Ok, I can accept that (sort of). Now we learn she didn’t copy Kris’ guitar driven cover but copied The Fray’s piano driven cover. You can’t really compare iTunes sales of the two songs since The Voice uses iTunes sales as votes.

I think now this is a case of using this little controversy to keep you name out there.

Angelina

Posted at 3:36 AM on July 9, 2011

Every time I think of Kris Allen, the lights flicker in my apartment. I think he is the Antichrist.

Lily

Posted at 11:15 AM on July 8, 2011

I love Kris Allen & his version .. I don’t cate about Dia, like at all, i don’t think she is a good singer in the first place & i won’t even bother after her comments.

sillygrrlz

Posted at 8:53 PM on July 7, 2011

Kris probably doesn’t know who Dia is, either.

muller

Posted at 2:12 PM on July 7, 2011

Duh, if I was her I would have at least checked out the version everyone is comparing mine to.

Leslie

Posted at 12:36 PM on July 7, 2011

It doesn’t say much about Diva, sorry, Dia, if she didn’t take the trouble to look up Kris Allen’s Heartless after her performance. Even if she didn’t do that, after all the articles comparing the two performances, there is no way she doesn’t know who he is – unless of course she doesn’t read her tweets or any of the press about her.

Lea

Posted at 9:49 AM on July 7, 2011

Love Dia! I don’t know who Chris Allen is, so why should she? He sure hasn’t been on the charts lately like she has that is for sure. Why are so many so quick to think the worst of people? Anyway, can’t wait to get her new album when it comes out!

Lori

Posted at 10:23 AM on July 7, 2011

It proves Dia is a liar and an idiot. Her sister goes to the university of Arkansas, so the bee0tch lied.

Lori

Posted at 10:24 AM on July 7, 2011

Plus she came in second…and did not win. So she will be history.

craig

Posted at 3:56 PM on July 7, 2011

youre a moro, its possible, she doesnt know who he is. a lot of peopel didnt know who dia was and seh was more famous than Kris at one time.
all you conceited cuonts without the O nedd to stop hating on this sweet innocent girl.
Ehr band was constantly touring so its possible and liek i said before, why would her sister care about some in her school being on american idol when she had 2 sister who have been on MTV since 2004??
the only peopel calling dia a liar are girls. gee i wonder why?? jealous much

anon

Posted at 4:23 PM on July 7, 2011

Weird that the headline says “Kris Allen”…and yet you spelled with “Chris Allen” which tells me it’s not an honest mistake. I know who tends to do this. Troll alert.

tia

Posted at 7:16 PM on July 7, 2011

However, she also misspelled moron (“moro”). lol

craig

Posted at 7:38 AM on July 7, 2011

Kris allens imo was the worst cover.
Fray
Dia (BTW been a huge fan of meg and dia since 2004)
Kanye
many youtube covers
my dog
than kris allen

Ana

Posted at 6:12 AM on July 7, 2011

FROM WIKIPEDIA: Under “Dia Frampton”:

“The family of the Frampton sisters is composed of Meg, Dia, Jade, Rena, Nikki, Misty. Jade plays tennis for the University of Arkansas and she aspires to be a professional in the near future. [3]”

Dia may never have watched American Idol, but if Jade plays Tennis for the University of Arkansas…surely her sister heard of him. I can’t imagine her sister didn’t tell her who he is.

When I don’t know a fact, I’d turn to Google or Wiki. But whatever.

It’s Dia’s life and if she chooses to keep her head in the sand, that’s her prerogative.

IMO, Kris Allen’s version of Kanye’s Heartless…still the better.

craig

Posted at 7:41 AM on July 7, 2011

u gonna believ everything u read on wiiki
also its possibel she didnt know about kris
if she doesnt watch the show why would she care???
her sister plays tennis so why would she care that someone from her school was on american idol, her sisters were on MTV and sold more records than Kris allen

Iska B. Bell

Posted at 11:46 PM on July 8, 2011

@Craig: LMAO.

David

Posted at 8:04 PM on July 8, 2011

It should be understood that Kris Allen went to the University of Central Arkansas, not the University of Arkansas.

jos

Posted at 6:48 AM on July 12, 2011

Kris Allen’s wife went to University of Arkansas, and where he proposed to her. I think the story was on American Idol? Anyway, it doesn’t matter. Her sister going to the school doesn’t mean Dia should know.

To be honest, I actually used to like Dia near the beginning (with reservation, wasn’t sure how her voice would play out in other songs yet). After she performed “Heartless,” she said didn’t know about Kris Allen. No big deal, not everyone knows him. Now that she has denied it again, after the show is over and everybody have been talking about it, I’m now a little put off by this.

anonymous

Posted at 5:27 AM on July 7, 2011

I do love Kris Allen’s version from two years ago, but I’m not going to accuse Dia for lying! I’m not a big fan of hers, but I believe she did the best she knew how and thought she did fine job with what shew how. I do believe her she did not copy Kris, because I know not everyone watches American Idol.

I think what bothers me is her saying “I still don’t know who Kris Allen is.” How can she say that after being questioned and interviewed about him and his version before. I’ve seen people tweet her about him. Of course she has heard of him after the fact, why is she choosing be oblivious?

If she was gracious, she would have made the effort to find out who he is, and acknowledge that he exists. I think that’s the part I find hard to believe. Dia, I think you’re nice, did good, and I believed what you said before. This time I don’t, and I see why some fans find it hard to believe especially with this.

Mario

Posted at 3:52 AM on July 7, 2011

Who is she?

heartless

Posted at 3:01 AM on July 7, 2011

I dont care she said truth or not. I think Kris’s version is the best. The song will be the best when it find out the right voice. Kris’s voice is not high, not the best voice. But his voice is really suitable with Heartless. Feeling of Kris’s version is different. Like you’re travling inside the sad story of the man. I felt the song when listented Kris’s version.

baby

Posted at 1:05 AM on July 7, 2011

I agree with the person who said KRIS ALLEN OWNS THIS SONG.

I don’t even care to listen to Dia’s version (whoever Dia is).

Kevin

Posted at 11:16 PM on July 6, 2011

To me, it’s like this:
Dia > Kris > Fray > Kanye

I believe she is telling the truth. Why does anyone expect anyone else to watch American Idol and know who is who? I don’t know. I watched only parts of one season of AI, and I never watched again, so I don’t know all the winners. Her version of “Heartless” is her arrangement with the influence of The Fray’s version. There’s no doubt about it. Of all the version, The Fray’s version and hers match the most. For anyone else who think Kris’ version and hers are similar, you guys need to get your ears checked. The only thing similar between those two are that they’re both covers of the hit song from Kanye. Also, why would Dia knowingly wants to be compared to Kris? That’s stupid. His version is definitely awesome. I downloaded it and have listened to it tons of times. They’re both different, and both are great.

Jane Multhopp

Posted at 11:07 PM on July 6, 2011

Who is Dia?

Hope Felice Zane

Posted at 10:06 PM on July 6, 2011

I think Dia is probably not telling the truth. First she says Heartless is her original arrangement. Then she said she only listened to The Fray’s version. Then she says she doesn’t know who Kris Allen is. Then she accepts accolades from CeLo again that her REM duplicated arrangement of Losing My Religion is original.

Phony Balony through and through. I hope Dia’s counting her minutes. One, two, three….

craig

Posted at 4:00 PM on July 7, 2011

its still her original arrangmetn its differtn from all 3 versions.
Dia isnt disapearing anytime soon, shes been a bug hit on the indie scene wiht her band since 2004, and just as her label contract was up she hits it big agina, sorry honey but shes gonna be everywhere

Cory

Posted at 9:24 PM on July 6, 2011

Dia should check out a few of Kris Allen’s tunes. He really changed things up, and she could learn a thing or two. She is good, but most of what she did sounds the same…soft voice with words running together. I even find that the couple of pre-Voice you tubes that I’ve listened to were pretty much the same. Too much of the same does not bode well for a long term career.

craig

Posted at 7:45 AM on July 7, 2011

why would she need to learn fomr Kris, shes been in the music buisness since 2004 or ealrier, she sold more records been on more tours and wrote more songs (she actually writes most of her songs, her and her sister meg).
You didnt listen ot enough of there songs if u think they all sound the same.

Nina

Posted at 6:09 PM on July 8, 2011

So, if she was in the business for so long, why she needs to go on the reality show to revive her career? I don’t understand why producers cast people who already had a recording contract and failed to succeed. If people didn’t like them the first time around, they are not going to catch up again. Unless they are willing to learn, which Dia appears to be too cool to learn from anybody. Also, Dia should try to gain fans instead of pissing off fans of other artists. Just not smart business decision.

jonins

Posted at 9:22 PM on July 6, 2011

Kris… And I don’t believe Dia’s saying she hasn’t heard Kris’s version. She’s says that so she can get some buzz and she is quite succeeding.

lauren

Posted at 10:55 AM on July 7, 2011

My thoughts exactly. She bugs.

dude

Posted at 8:38 PM on July 6, 2011

Like Dia, but Kris owns this song!!!

Nina

Posted at 8:37 PM on July 6, 2011

Kris!

lz

Posted at 8:33 PM on July 6, 2011

Kris’s is much better and his mashup with Gangsta’s Paradise and Heartless is awesome live

mike

Posted at 4:06 PM on July 7, 2011

u serious that was horrible

spike

Posted at 8:25 PM on July 6, 2011

Yeah, still prefer Kris over Dia, not going to change my mind on that. Ever.