'The Voice's' Dia Frampton: 'I Still Don't Know Who Kris Allen Is'

Wed, July 6, 2011 4:29pm EST by 48 Comments

Dia Frampton put herself on the map when performing Kanye’s ‘Heartless’ on ‘The Voice’ this year, and she reveals she still hasn’t checked out former ‘Idol’ contestant Kris Allen’s version!

Dia Frampton is in the midst of launching her singing career to new heights after her stint on The Voice. She sat down for an interview with our sister site TVLine.com and spoke about her future career and how scary it was to perform her own rendition “Heartless” for the first time. She also chatted about American Idol‘s Kris Allen again!

A month ago, Dia told HollywoodLife.com she hadn’t heard Kris Allen’s famous rendition of “Heartless” which he performed on Idol. She said she’d only listend to The Fray’s version. TVLine.com asked her about the Idol contestant’s season 8 performance and Dia answered, “Honestly, I still don’t know who Kris Allen is. I haven’t watched ‘Idol’ since Kelly Clarkson’s year, when I was a lot younger.”

She explains why she chose the Kanye West song to cover, “I wanted to slow down a hip-hop or R&B song, and “Heartless” was the best choice because of its lyrics; you can play with them. They’re still so emotional. It’s not like slowing down a Snoop Dogg song or something.” Dia played hers on the piano, while Kris had performed it with his guitar, which was her original intention. “I first started playing “Heartless” on the acoustic guitar, and Blake was the one who wanted to switch it up,” explains Dia, who reiterates that Blake Shelton introduced her to The Fray’s cover, from which she drew inspiration. “I was happy to do it, to get a little creative.”

Before Dia performed “Heartless” she was known for being part of the uncomfortable Serabee duet in the battle rounds. Did Dia know her Kanye cover would be a game-changer? “I didn’t know how anybody would take it. I liked it, but it’s scary to wonder what other people will think. I’m kind of eclectic and I like weird things, and on a lot of these types of shows, people want to hear someone belting out a Celine song,” confesses the singer. “The thing is, “Heartless” had to be changed. I don’t rap, obviously, and it was so not my style, the Kanye West way.”

Dia also said she doesn’t know if a deal with Universal Republic is imminent, but reveals she’s focusing on playing and writing at the moment. We’re sure she’ll continue to gain momentum and success, and can’t wait for a new album!

The last time we asked you, most of you preferred Kris’s rendition of “Heartless” over Dia’s cover. Do you still stand by that decision? Or are you more accustomed to Dia’s voice and tone now that you’ve heard a variety of her songs?

Lorena O’Neil

Love ‘The Voice’? Follow Lorena on Twitter

Carol

Posted at 3:23 PM on July 31, 2011

I don’t believe she never heard of Kris Allen. Its funny how they sang a song he did and did a song of Adam’s but never heard of the artist.

Randy

Posted at 6:45 PM on July 14, 2011

The Voice is over, let’s stop bringing up things like this.

PS: Kris sang “Heartless” on Idol, he won!
Dia sang “Heartless” on Voice, she came in second.

Oh yea… let’s continue talking about this!

Hank

Posted at 1:23 AM on July 12, 2011

I actually liked Dia well enough back on the show. Not so much anymore. She needs to get over herself.

I thought she did a fine job on Heartless, even though I much prefer Kris’s version of the song.

Sorry Dia, I need a little more character in my artists.

gardenia

Posted at 5:55 PM on July 10, 2011

I really think Kris Allen’s is the best. They’re all pretty good, though.

Douces, you kinda gave yourself away when you worked AL’s name into your comment! Funny!!

Douces

Posted at 1:37 AM on July 10, 2011

I had no idea who Kris Allen was either until people started mentioning him in connection with the Heartless performance. I haven’t watched that show since the 3rd season. Only ones I’ve heard of since then are Adam Lambert and someone named McSweeney (he has a first name too which I don’t know lol)

I looked up Kris Allen’s cover and it is AWFUL. By far the worst out of Kanye’s, the Fray’s, and Dia’s versions. And anyone who has listened to all these versions should be able to tell Dia’s is obviously a new arrangement. Not a revolutionary arrangement, but definitely different.

Carol

Posted at 1:57 PM on July 10, 2011

Come on Kris’s version is The BEST. Dia’s is AWFUL. Give me a break, yes hers is a new arrangement, and I dont’t think it is good at all. Sorry all u Dia lovers.

TTT

Posted at 5:51 PM on July 10, 2011

Come on, everyone can tell you’re just a glambert. You’re all always so obvious.

MGP

Posted at 11:11 AM on July 11, 2011

Isn’t it so funny how obvious they are… “I haven’t watched AI since Kelly”, yet i love Adam Lambert… Hilarious!!!