Chord Overstreet Will Not Get Killed Off On 'Glee' — Here's Why!

Wed, July 6, 2011 12:57pm EDT by 21 Comments

Don’t fret Chord fans! Sources tell us Ryan Murphy won’t allow death to be a factor in Chord departure from the show.

News that Chord Overstreet won’t be a series regular on Glee next season shocked and disappointed his fans, who started a “Don’t Cut the Chord” petition to keep him on the show. We spoke to Glee sources to confirm that Chord will have an opportunity to return in the future. “Ryan Murphy and fellow showrunners won’t kill off the character of Sam,” assures our source. “Death is not an option at all.” Phew!So how will Sam’s absence be explained in the new season. “Nothing has been determined yet,” explains the insider. “I know Ryan would like to keep the door open for Sam to return and reprise his role, even if it’s just as a guest star in one or two episodes.”

A second source confirmed it’s “not even in the thoughts of the writers to kill off Sam” and adds that they are also focusing on “making room for the new character that will temporarily join the cast after winning ‘The Glee Project.'”

Are you guys happy to hear that Ryan Murphy won’t kill off Chord so that he has the chance to come back? Or would you like to see him go out with a big dramatic ending? Are you still really upset he’s leaving?

Reporting by Russ Weakland

Sara

Posted at 1:35 PM on October 4, 2011

NOO!!.. i fell like i want to cry :( .. Glee is not the same without Sam!

Jasmin Overstreet

Posted at 7:23 AM on September 26, 2011

I dont want sam to leave :(

he has always been a great addition to the show

i hope he comes bac soon for good saying that his parents found a job and he doesn’t have to live in that hotel anymore

ILOVE CHORD OVERSTREET!!

ariana

Posted at 6:12 PM on September 21, 2011

i always looked forward to tuesdays for sam and now he’ll only be a guest onec or twice. there goes my life

beep

Posted at 3:08 PM on July 8, 2011

glee’s not going to be same for me without sam .. i’ll still watch the series, but i feel like my tuesday nights will be more open to other activities than watching glee. nothing final has been reached on this shocker. i like to think that it’s only a gimmick to rattle and rally gleeks around the world. finger’s crossed, sam will be around longer than what is being reported.

Archana

Posted at 4:19 PM on July 7, 2011

I DONT CARE IF YOUR NOT KILLING HIM
I JUST WANT HIM ON THE SHOW!! I LOVE CHORD SO MUCH AND I STARTED CRYING WHEN I FOUND OUT.

Kristen

Posted at 10:53 PM on July 6, 2011

Chord Overstreet is leaving Glee!?!? This. Will. Not. STAND!!!
EFF YOU, RYAN MURPHY! YOU SAID SEASON 3 WAS GONNA BE YOUR BEST SEASON!!Why must you cut out my favorite character on the show? First you make him homeless and now you’re just cutting him out like that!? I was really excited when you said Sam wasn’t gonna be a senior cause he wasn’t gonna graduate in season 3 then he would be in season 4 but you’re just gonna make him leave the show out of nowhere!? UGGGHHH! :'(

samantha

Posted at 3:54 PM on July 6, 2011

NO WAY!!! I hope this isnt true! the show wouldnt be the same without him. Great u stole his house in glee now this. i SOOOOO DO NOT WANT HIM TO LEAVE!! my friend even said if he leaves she wont watch glee anymore!! JUST DONT GET RID OF ANYBODY ON THE GLEE CLUB OR SUE OR BLAINE OR KURTS DAD OR FINNS MOM OR EMMA OR BECKY!

Morgan

Posted at 3:00 PM on July 6, 2011

I don’t really want a new character. I think there is enough already and It sucks that they wont show Sam. What is going to happen to Sam and Mercedes now? Sam will be missed from his absense.

fran

Posted at 2:10 PM on July 6, 2011

Damn this site is dumb. No one thought they would kill him off.

He will transfer becasue his parent got jobs in another district or state or whatever.

God this site likes to make crap up.

erika

Posted at 1:48 PM on July 6, 2011

i couldn’t care less for the glee project winner because this person will get 7 episodes storyline, i would prefer if they create a story for the original cast. i think they are doing this to get the public used to the cast leaving the show, because they will graduate the original gleeks on the end of the next season. but when the original leave the show i’m out.

Shelby

Posted at 1:46 PM on July 6, 2011

I love the character of Sam Evans and would love to have him as a regular on Glee however, after reading the quotes from a show source, iI would advise Chord Overstreet tell them politely were they should put there half-hearted offer of a possible guest role.

Obviously he was let go to make room for the Glee Project Winner, which is about making Ryan Murphy and FoX more money, not making Glee a better show.

I wonder how long this decision was in the works? My guess is quite a while, but since they had Chord working hard on tour so they figured
they would get the most from him before they let him go. Chord and Sam fans deserve so much better. I am also very disappointed in the rest of the cast. Where is their support of Chord? I don’t expect them to question their bosses, but they could make a statement enouraging him in his future endeavors. I recall Chord being quick to defend Lea when she took some heat in the media.

Oh well, I am confident Chord will have a long and sucessful career. Thanks for this article. It has helped me come to terms with the fact that although I selfishly want Sam Evans on Glee, Chord needs to cut his losses and move on.

Goodbye Glee.

Chord and Sam fans deserve so much better.

renne

Posted at 1:55 PM on July 6, 2011

all the cast is silent about it, my guess is the producers didn’t allowed them to say something about this situation (probably this is on their contract, i wouldn’t be surprise with ryan murph). chord didn’t really explain just said on twitter that was a good year but now is time for a new beginning.

Shelby

Posted at 2:03 PM on July 6, 2011

I hope my comment isn’t dismissed because of my typos or my use of there instead of their! A small phone and too much emotion and not enough brain!!

gabe

Posted at 2:04 PM on July 6, 2011

Chord (and others involved with Glee) may not be responding to fans about the news for legal reasons.
don’t start point fingers when we don’t know what is really going on.
all i know is chord is really close in real life with the cast, mainly mark salling, lea michele and diana agron.
and he was defending lea on this site about a lie that hollywood life itself created about his friend (lea).

Please

Posted at 2:14 PM on July 6, 2011

1. Nothing official has been put in the press yet.
2. The other actors cannot comment on this especially if nothing official has been said..
3. Even Chord know it would be stupid for the other actors to comment on this. Even he has not said anything solid.
4. Videos from the last concert show that the cast is being supportive of Chord.

Really don;t start judging the cast for something that probably can’t respond to any way.

blue

Posted at 1:45 PM on July 6, 2011

RIB are bunch of liars. They said that Chord is the 1st step of new generation characters and he is writing him off?

Thank you very much Ryan Murphy you’ve done a great job loving us his character. Now, how do you expect us to watch glee when we know that you’ll be cutting them off in no time. :/

Nathan

Posted at 1:40 PM on July 6, 2011

Are you kidding me?

how am i going to survive watching glee if sam will appear in 1 or only 2 episodes.

i don’t care watching the show anymore

Manuela

Posted at 1:38 PM on July 6, 2011

I don’t understand how Ryan Murphy can expect us to care about some new character from Glee Project when he is so flippant about erasing a character that has been developed for an entire season.
How do we know that he won’t do the same to any new character that is going to be introduced in season 3?

not cool move

Posted at 1:30 PM on July 6, 2011

this is a mess, ryan murph making a room for someone from glee project is wrong because noone is interested in a new character we love the ones we alredy have. when lea and chris leave at the end of the next season i’m done with glee.

J.R

Posted at 1:28 PM on July 6, 2011

I hope Cameron wins the GP

Biba

Posted at 1:18 PM on July 6, 2011

O.o … now I’m P*ssed off! Ryan Murphy must have hit his head or something… We didn’t even think he was going to literally kill him! We want him back full time. Not “ocasionally guest star for an episode of two”! Is this a joke? please Ryan, tell us it’s a joke!
You don’t pick Chord as a regular because you have to make space for yet another random kid who will be there for something like 7 episodes? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT MAN?????

Just get Chord back on the freaking show and get him back full time.

“Making room”? And you choose Sam to “make room” for the new kid? I wasn’t even part of the DontCutTheChord campaign but after this I’m really furious.

There’s gotta be something seriously wrong with those writers. Sam was a character with two storylines… interesting storylines… This is absurd… I seriously hope his fans find a way to let their voice heard ’cause this statements are incredible and just… bah… I’m at loss of words.

Definitely not gonna watch season 3… I was hoping those 3 would have realized they made a mistake… apparently not… they are clueless what they could do with Chord. One or two episode. That’s crazy.