Selena Gomez Reveals: My Mom's Car Would Break Down & We'd Have To Search For Quarters To Buy Gas!

Thu, June 30, 2011 4:16pm EST by 19 Comments
Loading video...

Selena may wear fabulous clothes and get anything she wants now — but it wasn’t always that way. Selena’s mom used to struggle just to put food on the table!

If you love Selena Gomez, you’re going to fall for her even more now! The 18-year-old Disney star was featured in her own E! Entertainment Special on June 29 and she told shocking stories about growing up in Grand Prairie, TX., — she and her mom Mandy barely had enough money to live!

“I remember my mom would run out of gas all of the time and we’d sit there and have to go through the car and get quarters and help her get gas,” Selena remembers. “Because she never liked to ask my grandparents for money.”

Selena’s mom Mandy adds: “Ya we might have run out of gas – we did have to walk to the dollar store to get dollar spaghetti and make it … so we always had food but if I knew she wanted to go to a concert I would save up for it. You do the best you can with what you’re given.”

Aw, that is so sweet and makes us tear up! No wonder Selena is so down-to-earth and well rounded.

But times have definitely changed for this pop star. Her boyfriend Justin Bieber reportedly gave her a $30,000 Chanel watch when she was in the hospital suffering from malnutrition.

“I remember having a lot of macaroni and cheese but my mom never made it seem like it was a big deal,” she says. “She was really strong around me. Having me at 16 had to have been a big responsibility. My mom gave up everything for me, had three jobs, supported me sacrificed her life for me.”

— Chloe Melas

Want more Selena? Get it here!

1. Selena Gomez Admits She’s Just Like Us: She Still Gets Awkward In A Bikini!
  2. Is Selena Gomez Trying To Be More Like Miley Cyrus?
  3. Selena Gomez Cries: I Blamed My Mom For My Parents Divorce & I Never Feel Good Enough For Her!

Becca

Posted at 4:42 PM on July 9, 2013

Y’all are stupid when u can go from scrapping up money for food and gas to where she is that is amazing so maybe instead of sitting around feeling sorry for your self go do something about it
you rock Selena

Jess

Posted at 9:46 PM on June 4, 2013

Spaghetti from the dollar store?
My family had no food so we ate our pet rabbit.

truth teller

Posted at 3:49 PM on February 28, 2013

O-M-G people calm your titts, she didn’t say that she was the poorest girl on earth, yes okey you had a harder time growing up, we get that, but she was just telling her story. And she knows that there are people who are suffering more than she ever did, that’s why now that she have money, she’s helping out as much as she can, jeez. Some of you just can’t stop hating can you?

Paris

Posted at 6:10 PM on December 31, 2011

This is hard life????????????? Car? Mac n cheese? Concerts?

I strongly believe I live in hell even now,I don’t have a car, never been to any concert, Mac and cheese is good food to me

Heck,I don’t even have money to treat my leg which is disabled for years now
I never went to school cause of financial problems
these are just to name a few, sad much?

Ashleigh

Posted at 2:20 PM on December 31, 2011

First world problems.

Brittany Warren

Posted at 10:28 PM on December 29, 2011

This girl is a fucking idiot. Yeah they were soo “poor” that her mom was still able to save up money for her to go to concerts. Oh they had to go to the dollar store? That’s heartbreaking. Not. This doesn’t make me like her at all. I don’t know much about her but this makes her seem like a joke. Maybe she should try out real poverty sometime instead of being a spoiled brat.

ILHFV;FSdlJH

Posted at 11:45 AM on October 4, 2013

Shut up. Its her life. Like it WAS her life. get over it brat.

Amur Hashtan

Posted at 8:26 PM on June 8, 2014

Let’s face it this was made so that fan girls could say OMG did you hear about Selenas life? It was so hard before she was famous! Get the sympathy rolling in and tell idiots about her one shot for fame! Now I love selena even more!

Sacha

Posted at 12:25 PM on November 30, 2011

… this makes me sad. If this is what celebrities call poverty then what the hell was my family. Forced to buy spagetti from a dollar store? hell, half the time I was lucky if I got to eat anything other than “soup” (hot water, green beans, corn and hopefully a little shredded piece of chicken in the pot). Worried about gas money?!? We never even had a car, hell, we were homeless. I had to walk 4 miles just to get to school. God knows I would have LOVED to have the money to buy macaroni and cheese, let alone save up to go to a freaking concert. Sorry, but that’s not what I’d call “barely having enough money to eat” nor is it “shocking”. I like Selena, she’s quite talented but when celebrities try to throw out sob stories it just pisses me off. Actually it’s probably not her fault, maybe it’s just the way E! news took it that’s making me pissed off

Ann

Posted at 11:51 AM on July 1, 2011

Wow this is news? Really? I remember not having no money growing up. I came from a smaller town in Texas than she did. Wow celebs annoy me with this I am sorry, im not a hater, but everyone goes through their hard times like they did and still are now. There are people that do not have a place to stay and they do not get a story on E news or anywhere else. They do like a few commercials and then thats it. I had to farm and raise cattle where I am from, but I am not Selena Gomez so ya know haha. Do you just comment on her because she is with Justin? I mean all her stories are even under Bieber and not Gomez why is that? She has her own name you know. I applaud her for what she is doing now though for real. I am not big like she is but I am performing and do what I love too, so I am happy for her in this case. She has to keep her head up to be a great actor that adults will love. Selena it takes time and not all your movies will be good enough for some people. Good Luck to you!!

Ryan

Posted at 12:29 AM on July 3, 2011

Wow ur so ignorant and stupid its not her fault they asked her those questions was she supposed to not answer because some idiot person might be more unfortunate then her of course she knows there is and was people less unfortunate and now that she does have money she tries to help as much as she can so if u dont know anything about selena just keep ur mouth shut.

Jaz

Posted at 12:34 AM on July 1, 2011

Justin?! Come on $30,000 on a watch?!!!!
You could have helped out 3 families at the least, dude,
NOT A GOOD LOOK JUSTIN BUT ITS YOUR MONEY…

Liv

Posted at 11:56 PM on June 30, 2011

Really? Because I remember searching for pennies with my brother just so we could pay for gas to get home from school. And we did the walk of shame the other day from a store because we were fifty cents short of buying hamburger meat for dinner.
Tons of people are that way. Life is hard. Sob stories don’t get you anywhere. Selena is where she is, because she’s pretty (and ambitious with her choice of career). I, personally, don’t think she is that great of an actor or singer. Although, she does seem to be a great person. It just annoys me when celebrities tell their “sad” childhoods.

Patricia

Posted at 10:00 PM on June 30, 2011

I love Justin but spending 30,000 on a watch is just ridiculous.

meiner

Posted at 8:15 PM on June 30, 2011

“Her boyfriend Justin Bieber reportedly gave her a $30,000 Chanel watch when she was in the hospital suffering from malnutrition.”

Sorry, these are your own reports … probably just as wrong, as the message over Justin Bieber’s “Someday” , his mother and Selena.

paul

Posted at 8:18 PM on June 30, 2011

A rep for the “Baby” singer tells Gossip Cop that Bieber did not buy Gomez the watch, and calls the story “totally false.

jason

Posted at 5:39 PM on June 30, 2011

Great story.

javi

Posted at 5:35 PM on June 30, 2011

thats an example of the american dream right there from samll town girl to tv/movie actress awesome success story

steliarosie

Posted at 5:10 PM on June 30, 2011

oh gosh that’s why she’s a example for every young women .i’m pround of her she made it this far go selena