Javier Colon: Justin Bieber 'May Have' Helped Me Win 'The Voice'

Thu, June 30, 2011 2:58am EDT by 19 Comments
Loading video...

‘The Voice’ winner Javier Colon acknowledges Justin Bieber could have helped him win the two percent margin over Dia Frampton! Plus he reveals he’d like to duet with runner-up Dia. Watch his and Adam’s interviews!

Javier Colon was on cloud nine today after The Voice results show where he was crowned winner. He beat out Dia Frampton by less than two percent of the vote in an extremely close race. “I was honestly very prepared to hear Carson [Daly] say ‘Dia Frampton’,” reveals Javier. But this season’s frontrunner took home the $100,000 price and Universal Records deal. The force that is Justin Bieber threw his support behind Javier with a tweet last night that the show ended up airing on television, could this have helped Javier get that extra push to the victorious finish line?

“The vote being a two percent difference, it very well could have [gone to either of us]. Hopefully we’ve all won, in a sense,” Javier said of his fellow contestants. “I’m honored to have the official win. But I was honestly very prepared to hear Carson [Daly] say Dia Frampton. I was prepared to hug her and tell her how much I love her because I do. I love her as a person, I love her as an artist.”

HollywoodLife.com asked Javier if he thought Justin Bieber helped him out. “He very well may have,” Javier admitted. “He sent out a tweet to all of his people, and we won by two percent. I don’t know how many of them voted or how many of them just maybe followed me on Twitter. But I’m thankful to everyone who lent their support, who told their folks to give me a chance.” Javier also thanked fellow singer Ernie Halter, his mom and his family. So sweet!

So would Javier be interested in a duet with the Biebs, who is good friends with Javier’s coach Adam Levine? “I don’t know, maybe! We might have to talk,” he exclaims.

Javier’s new single “Stitch by Stitch” soared to the top of iTunes yesterday, something he calls “amazing” and “unexpected”, hitting the #2 mark just under Dia Frampton’s number one spot. He constantly repeated how much he respected Dia and said, “I want to sing with Dia. I want to do duets with everybody. I’d love to do something with Dia, with Vicci [Martinez] …  Nakia would be fun … sing a country song with Curtis [Grimes] or with Patrick [Thomas].

But his favorite duet of all time might be tonight’s performance of “Landslide” with Stevie Nicks. “I almost lost it in rehearsals,” admits Javier. “The nerves were running through me in the first take. We started the couple run-thrus that we did. When I turned to her to start singing the harmony, I realized what I was doing. I realized I was singing this beautiful song with Stevie Nicks and it hit me [...] I just got really choked up. I was like ‘Pull it together, you can’t cry in front of Stevie Nicks you gotta do what she wants you to do and that is sing, not cry,'” adds the singer. “I dont know that I will be able to top that.” (Sidenote: Dia admitted she cried while watching Javier and Stevie perform!)

Tonight was a magical night for Javier who has overcome a lot of disappointments in the music industry, and confessed he almost didn’t audition for The Voice at all, but his brother convinced him to do so.

Coach Adam Levine was just as excited as Javier, speaking to reporters afterward about how “overwhelmed” and “in shock” he was. “Javier from the beginning was the person that deserved to win this. Everybody else was incredibly talented, it could have gone any way, and I’m just happy it went his. The first thing I did was start crying like a baby, just gave him a really big long hug.”

He adds, “I wasn’t sure if I’d be a good coach or a bad coach. I think I was a good coach. I like that about myself.” Adam went on to confirm he is coming back next season, and also revealed the suit Javier wore last night was the one he personally gifted him a few weeks ago. Additionally he said he’d love to duet with Javier again, and commented on the gay-friendliness of The Voice. Watch his interviews below!

Are you happy Javier won? Do you think Justin Bieber’s endorsement helped him out or was it based on his raw talent? Were you Team Adam?

Loading video...

Loading video...

Lorena O’Neil

Love ‘The Voice’? Follow Lorena on Twitter

Jeb

Posted at 1:14 AM on July 4, 2011

If if weren’t for Justin tweeting to vote for Javier there is without a doubt Dia would’ve won.
Justin was helping out his good friend Adam Levine. Whom now I have 0 respect for now. At least Christina, Blake and Ceelo didn’t use their celebrity friends for help.
Dia Frampton will always be the winner in my eyes.
Kudos to Javier for acknowleging the fact that biebers tweet Was the reason he won

allviss

Posted at 9:53 AM on October 16, 2011

for me, javier lucky when he win the games. without bieber, may be Dia is the winner

fbgf

Posted at 10:57 PM on June 30, 2011

Finally this fag bieber did something good!
Javier is the best…by far!

Ash

Posted at 10:14 PM on June 30, 2011

theres no way he would have won w/o bieber. dia should have won!

dfgwer

Posted at 5:27 PM on June 30, 2011

Dia should have won. She was always the best seller on iTunes and they should have just counted the total number of sales to determine the winner. There was a reason why Javier got dropped from his last label.

I guess next season will be the same since Justin will just tweet to vote for whoever is on Adams team in the end. His fans do anything their lord tells them too.

MJ

Posted at 2:18 PM on July 1, 2011

Justin did not support Javier because he was on team Adam…he supported him because Ernie Halter introduced Justin and his team to Javier’s music and they all thought he was extremely talented.

Also, just because Dia had more purchases on itunes that doesn’t mean that she had as many people call and vote online. I know a lot of people who bought songs online but could not be bothered to pick up the phone and vote. And trust me, Dia had plenty of musicians tweeting and voting for her. They are both extremely talented and I think most people would have been happy with the vote going either way. They will both have great careers now. Who knows…maybe coming in second will turn out to be good for Dia. If you look at American Idol, some of the most successful were not the winners but those who came in 2nd or 3rd and didn’t have the added pressure of being the winner. Personally, I can’t wait to see what they both do next and I will buy both their albums when they are released.

Brit

Posted at 2:03 PM on June 30, 2011

Many artists tweeted supporting their favorites…not just Justin Beiber….so to say that Javier was the only one that received votes based on someone’s tweets is ridiculous!

Zoe

Posted at 3:29 PM on June 30, 2011

No other artists besides Gaga have 10 MILLION followers tho! And Justin specifically asked his followers to vote for Javier and #teamadam where other artists just express that they like certain artists. Not saying I don’t think Javier is very talented, but it was very unfair to Dia imo.

wow

Posted at 1:41 PM on June 30, 2011

well there had to be a reason for why justin supported javier. Javier has an amazing and unique voice. i loved dia and i was happy that javier won. but i would have been happy if dia won

Kay

Posted at 11:54 AM on June 30, 2011

Also, Just because the 1st poster voted at Justins request, that doesn’t mean she/he did it BLINDLY! Though I voted for Javier only because of Justins tweet, Justin merely made me aware of this talented singer, and when I listened to him sing “Stitch by Stitch”, I realized he was deserving of the win, and voted approximately 10 times for him. The haters who think something is wrong with that need to focus their energy on something positive themselves, as was already stated. Beliebers support whom they LOVE and their associates based on Justins suggestion…perhaps if you haters did more of THAT, you’d be happier! KIDRAUHL FOREVER BITCHES!

caty

Posted at 3:56 AM on June 30, 2011

be honest I really don’t know those people are but I did vote for them because Justin tweet to vote for them.

wow

Posted at 5:13 AM on June 30, 2011

Nice to know you’ll do something while not knowing what it’s for. Very pathetic

wtf

Posted at 3:46 AM on June 30, 2011

not fair. Way for Bieber to RUIN the whole premise of the show -for people to vote based on the voice and not like a bunch of vapid teenyboppers as they do on AI. Bieber telling his fan club to vote for Javier turns it exactly into the same result as AI! I liked both Javier and Dia, but if this is how Javier won, I am not happy with Bieber at all and other Voice fans should be pissed as well. It ruins the integrity of the whole show.

MJ

Posted at 7:13 AM on June 30, 2011

Justin was simply supporting a fellow artist who he has personal ties to and thinks is talented. Many other celebrities tweeted to their fans supporting other artists from the voice. Celebs are people too and they have opinions that they share on Twitter and Facebook with their fans. You cannot penalize Justin for having a larger fanbase than other people. Besides, even without Justin’s support Javier has been a front runner from the beginning. If he did not deserve to win over the other contestants you might have an argument; however the talent between Javier and Dia was so close there is no way to know what would have happened. It sounds to me like people are just using this as another excuse to hate on Justin…don’t people ever get tired of that? Try using all the energy you spend hating on him and help some people out instead…the world would be a much better place.

Queen Ester

Posted at 9:08 AM on June 30, 2011

Beautifully stated.

Cherie

Posted at 12:01 PM on June 30, 2011

I feel like that tweet made Javier win. I know he was a frontrunner, but look on itunes. Dia is in the top spot and most of her songs are way above his previous ones. Itunes tells a different story.

Zoe

Posted at 3:32 PM on June 30, 2011

Exactly. Dia was the frontrunner on itunes before Bieber used his rabid fan base to help Adam Levine win bcuz they play basketball together. LAME.

Ella

Posted at 7:39 PM on June 30, 2011

Agreed, Zoe.

Ella

Posted at 10:35 AM on June 30, 2011

I agree with you, wtf (don’t know if that’s really your name, but whatever). That was cheating, and it should not have been allowed. If I were the person running the Voice, I would have disqualified Javier. That’s simply not fair. What was Dia supposed to do– pop up with Selena Gomez or Taylor Swift and say, “Hey, vote for me if you’re a fan of Selena Gomez or Taylor Swift!” Honestly.

-Ella