Michigan Mom Kicked Off A Bus For Breastfeeding!

Thu, June 30, 2011 10:21am EDT by 15 Comments

Afrykayn Moon was nursing her two week old son Zomon when the FEMALE driver told her to cover up or get off. When she refused, the driver arranged for security guards to board the bus and question her!

Other moms in the area are so outraged by the way she was treated, they’re gathering to protest — by organizing a breastfeeding ‘nurse-in!’

“I had him in a football wrap. She wasn’t seeing much,” Mom Afrykayn Moon says of the frightening confrontation which took place this week in Taylor, Mich.

Afrykayn stood her ground and her treatment has spun into a major media debate across the US.

Reassuringly, everyone seems to be outraged by the driver’s actions, including her own bosses, who have suspended her; fellow passengers who say “we weren’t offended” and even a Michigan senator who insists it’s NOT ILLEGAL to breastfeed on a bus!

Senator Rebekah Warren even plans to reintroduce legislation to protect women from discrimination while breast-feeding in public.

But angry Afrykayn isn’t satisfied. She’s rallied together members of her Black Mothers’ Breastfeeding Association to stage a ‘nurse-in’ at the bus company’s headquarters on July 1.

What do you think HollyMoms? Did you breastfeed in public? Did people complain? Perhaps you think moms should be more modest and nurse in private!

Weigh in!

– Ian Garland

Read More Real-Life Stories Here!:

1. Mom Arrested For Beating 12-Year Old Son To Death – Over Percocets! Can You Believe It?
  2. Dumped Boyfriend Takes Out Billboard Ad Accusing His Ex Of KILLING Their Unborn Baby!
  3. Five-Year-Old Drowns Toddler In Bathtub For Crying! Can You Imagine?
  4. Babies Born In The Spring Could Be At Risk! Shocking New Study!

Laurie

Posted at 12:23 AM on July 3, 2011

This is discrimination against whites…is there a White Mothers Breastfeeding Association????

Nina

Posted at 8:48 AM on July 1, 2011

I am a new mother and I can’t imagine whipping my breasts out in public to breast feed. There is a time and place to do it and many bathrooms now have a nice sitting area to do it in. Grow up and realize this isn’t the old days.. you have a lot of creeps and pedophiles looking at you when you can go somewhere usually within walking distance to breastfeed your child. I think it’s just a reason for women to show their tits in public.

Me

Posted at 9:21 PM on July 4, 2011

Then how about you go eat in the bathroom so Theban can eat good that isn’t in the room where urine and keel movements are the main reasons for.

ME

Posted at 1:22 PM on January 15, 2013

I would eat in the bathroom if my eating required flashing everyone.

ME

Posted at 1:18 PM on January 15, 2013

Completely agree!

ME

Posted at 1:19 PM on January 15, 2013

Completely agree to Nina’s comment at top that is!

Courtney

Posted at 8:24 AM on July 1, 2011

even though I don’t have children yet I can still see this is wrong on so many levels. the female breast was designed for the purpose of nursing a child not as a sexual object. that bus driver should be fired not suspended

Michelle

Posted at 7:10 AM on July 1, 2011

This shouldn’t even be an issue!
We are fortunate in Australia that finally it is legal for women to breast feed in public legally!
Why this is an issue, I just can’t comprehend. It is the babies food for goodness sakes. Especially with a 2 week old.
We are still living in the dark ages.
Yet everywhere we turn, breasts are being exposed in ads, on facebook on the streets. NOt for breastfeeding mind you.
Facebook and other public forums are so quick to take down breastfeeding photos yet half naked women and spam links are floating around all over the place in the view of children.
Yes I have breast fed all five of my children, yes I have popped it out discreetly when they are hungry, yes I would do the same all over again.
LEts support women in their right to feed their baby when it is hungry in whatever manner they choose :-)

Dragonfly

Posted at 10:11 PM on June 30, 2011

Terrible. My friend and I were both breastfeeding our babies in the mall and nobody looked at us sideways. Until a security guard walks 5-10 feet PAST us, then turns around to come express his disaproval of us nursing in public. We stood our ground and let him know it was our legal right to do so. Why should my baby have to be fed in the car or a dirty bathroom stall, or even under a hot blanket? We both ended up with phone calls of profuse apology and promises of more ‘training’. Why? Because they didn’t want a sit-in OR a lawsuit. That was my one bad experience in my 1 year of breastfeeding. It is a wonderful & beautiful thing and SOME people need to get over their issues;-)

Dragonfly

Posted at 10:19 PM on June 30, 2011

Oh. I forgot to add, buddy got transferred to another mall. My friend actually ran into him again! Can you imagine his face? LOL!

Liz

Posted at 1:29 AM on July 1, 2011

As a woman who also breastfed, I’m a little disappointed in hearing that. I personally feel that although it is a natural thing, I do not wish to see a naked breast when I am shopping. Your body is incredibly private in my opinion and I don’t think it’s very polite to us who don’t want to see it. When I nursed my son, I simply bought a “FeatherWrap” which was like a thin piece of cotton that fit over my shoulder and still allowed my baby to breathe. My mall has a small enclosed room that you can go to to breastfeed.

zeliasgrand

Posted at 8:32 PM on July 12, 2011

I respectfully disagree. You have every right to feed your child but I do not think you have a right to expose your breast publicly. Asking you to use a light cover is an appropriate compromise in shared spaces. Nursing may be a natural process but it is not a spectator sport.

Jenny

Posted at 1:00 PM on July 14, 2011

I will respectfully disagree with you. Your personal ethos is wrong-headed and harmful babies. I suggest you re-evaluate your position. It is not a mother’s right to breastfeed, but the child’s right to eat. Breastfeeding is the best food for a child for first 2 years of life according to the World Health Organization and a child should have no other food for the first 6 months. My son wouldn’t put up with anything over his head. He would cry and fuss and flail if I tried to use even the lightest blanket. When got old enough, he simply the yanked the blanket away – every time. He wanted to see me! So what should I have done? Not left the house? Fed him in bathrooms? When you post a picture enjoying your lunch on the toilet, we can talk. Furthermore, men don’t have to cover their breasts, why should I just because mine are active and bigger and have a dearth of Y chromosomes. The hyper-sexualization of female breasts, whose sole function is to feed babies, is huge problem in the USA. It puts stupid, harmful barriers between mothers and their babies. Your ideas reflect your acculturation in an environment that treats nipples like vulva. Understand that your cultural point of view should not prevent from me from making my son’s lunch as easy and pleasant as possible.

Destiny

Posted at 7:04 PM on June 30, 2011

This story disgusts me. Babies have been breastfed since the very first baby was born so why do people have such a problem with it now? The fact that it was a woman that had her kicked off just makes it that much worse.

Kate

Posted at 1:29 PM on June 30, 2011

As a mother who never breastfed, I’m offended by this story as well as other stories involving mothers being bashed for this. What is wrong with people these days? I, for one, don’t have a problem with a woman breastfeeding her child in public. Why should she deny her child nutrition? What’s more important: stopping mothers from breatfeeding their child or stopping childhood obesity? Seriously…this woman did nothing wrong but fed her child. At least she’s not one of these mothers that don’t feed their children.