'Toddlers & Tiaras' Recap: Alaska, 8, Gets Her Eyelashes Dyed & Lori Makes Her Son Braxton, 5, Compete In The Pageant!

Wed, June 29, 2011 11:43pm EDT by 9 Comments

Momager Lori needs to chill out — she is so obsessed with her children’s looks that she bleaches their teeth every week!

Each episode of Toddler’s & Tiaras is getting progressively more shocking. The June 29 episode definitely takes the cake thus far and had our reporter Chloe and intern Scott stunned in disbelief.

Chloe’s Take

I think I had my mouth wide open for the entire hour of the TLC reality show. I cannot believe that some of the things on this show aren’t considered child abuse.

This may sound a bit extreme, but I don’t think Lori bleaching her daughter Alaska, 9, and son Braxton’s, 5, teeth is okay. Let alone every week?! Come on, someone needs to step in and do something. Lori needs to back off before she ruins her children’s self-esteem, lives, and enamel!

But besides the bleaching, eyelash dying and constant negative attitude from Lori — it was something else that bothered me. I was utterly disgusted that Braxton was forced to get up on the stage and compete against the other girls. What is wrong with these people?!

The little boy truly is adorable but he couldn’t have looked more uncomfortable. I’m sorry, [no I'm not] but if you’re going to force your kid to prance around on stage in strangely mature outfits with full-on hair and makeup — leave it to the girls!

I’m in awe that Alaska and Braxton don’t appear to be more emotionally traumatized. Well at least Alaska seems okay — it’s too soon to tell with Braxton.

Bottom line: these kids are going to have MAJOR issues one day and someone needs to restrain Lori.

Scott’s Take

There were a lot of shocking things in tonight’s episode. I thought I’d heard it all on Toddlers and Tiaras, but when Olivia said, and I quote: “We butcher the pigs on our farm. Sometimes, it makes me sad that I lose my pig but it makes me a little bit happier when it tastes good,” I had to actually rewind to make sure I’d heard it correctly.

However, even more shocking, and slightly less grizzly, was when Lori and Jay brought their 8-year-old daughter Alaska to get her eyelashes dyed. Is that legal?! It’s times like these I wish I had an intern of my own to research the law when it comes to eyelash dying. Does it vary state by state or is that federal jurisdiction? I’ll have to get back to you.

In the meantime, my question is this: Sure, these pageant parents get a little zany when it gets close to the big show, especially something as prestigious as Stars & Cars I’m just assuming it was prestigious. Correct me if I’m wrong.

However, what rationally thinking, sane cosmetologist would actually dye an 8-year-old’s eyelashes?! Is she eligible to have her license revoked?! Don’t worry…my intern is on it. Also, while they were making things darker around there, couldn’t they have penciled in some eyebrows on the girl? Wait a minute!! What has this show done to me?!

Was anyone else as enthralled by Alaska’s story as I was? Watching the (borderline abusive) way her parents treated her throughout the episode made her big win even that much sweeter for me. I actually found myself tearing up with little Alaska as she was crowned.

However, the main thing I took away from this episode? If I had known boys could compete in beauty pageants, my life might have turned out a lot differently…

— Chloe Melas & Scott Galina

holly

Posted at 5:43 AM on December 15, 2012

I can’t believe she is not letting alaska the child hood she deserves she will now turn into a spoilt brat

Mandi

Posted at 12:03 PM on October 11, 2011

I watched this episode again last night as a re-run. Alaska just broke my heart. I wanted to adopt her and take her away from mommie dearest. The mom blantantly favored Braxton over Alaska. Braxton just wasn’t that special. Sure he was adorable but he didn’t have any personality. That poor little girl is going to need a lot of therapy to get over her mom. What I really want to know is…..what happens AFTER the family watches the show? I wish they would show the reactions of the moms after they watch how crazy they are. I am hoping that Alaska’s mom is horrified at how she acted and changes. But I realize that’s just wishful thinking. I really would like to hear from the moms to see what they thought of everything. Some of the moms are clearly abusing the girls and should be arrested after their episode airs. I don’t know why I watch. I guess it’s the shock factor because I can’t imagine acting like that. I am a mom and I actually did enter my daughter in two pagaents about 22 years ago. I did it because a friend wanted me to do it with her. We didn’t do all the crazy stuff and my daughter didn’t like it. That was the end ~ no problems. I realize that everybody has a story and that maybe the women were lacking something in their lives and are trying to get what they need from their daughters. I have seen a couple of adorable girls on the show who really want to be there and they are doing well. The rest will need therapy for the rest of their lives. Alaska ~ I am soooooo proud of you for winning despite the lack of support. I AM YOUR SUPPORTER!!!

frankie

Posted at 8:24 PM on October 8, 2011

WOW…..Alaska’s mom is the worse mom ever.She said when she was pregnant with her son she wished for a child with nice hair(not a healthy child ,,,but one with good hair!!!!what a witch!!!!She needs to get her teeth fixed!!!!

Shae Williams

Posted at 11:12 PM on July 20, 2011

It hurt my heart to watch this episode, you can clearly see how Lori singles out her son. I started to tear up when Alaska got crowned because she didn’t think she was going to win anything.

linda

Posted at 9:50 PM on August 28, 2011

Sorry but Braxton appeared druged up and who said taht he was so beautiful expect his parents Hello parents usually think their children are beautiful The one that got to me was Alaska what a adorable mature young lady shes like the only stable person in that family I work with children I would love to tell her how beautiful she is to help her confidence which she at this time seems to be doing okay, Okay really Braxton kept turning aroung asking where his crown was his parents have made him feel he doesnt have to do anything to win a title.Some of the comments these parents made about Alasaka and the hurt look on her face.Alaska is adorable. Go Alaska God bless you

Mary

Posted at 11:49 PM on July 10, 2011

She’s just living her dream through her daughter but doesn’t give a sh** about her ACTUAL daughter. I cannot stand ‘mothers’ like her. All she is doing is ruining her daughter and exposing her to pedophiles. She must be so proud to see her daughter strutting onstage inappropriately in a skimpy swimsuit, and her daughter doesn’t even have a choice. Goddammit.
And seriously, wtf is up with her putting her SON in pageants?! Really?! Talk about ruining a kid’s self esteem! When he’s in school if he tells people he was in beauty pageants, he’s going to get laughed right off the playground. Way to go you f**ing a**hole worthless mother. Yeah Braxton is cute, but so are a lot of little boys. That doesn’t mean you put them in beauty pageants. I mean, does that kid looks like he enjoys being onstage?! Didn’t think so! I can guarantee he’d rather be at home playing with toys or outside like all the other kids his age.

Alexia jones

Posted at 4:46 PM on July 11, 2011

Mary is absolutely correct. The only thing she missed is the thought that Lori should spend the money she allots for the kid’s tooth whitener on herself and replace all of her own missing teeth.
Lori obviously favors the boy…Seems like a horrible Mom who hates Alaska’s father.

Mary

Posted at 11:31 PM on July 10, 2011

Alaska’s mother is the face of the devil! My God! She was putting her daughter down, telling her she wasn’t going to win the entire time and then making her do all this sh*t! She doesn’t deserve to be a mother, the f**ing lunatic! And it broke my heart when Alaska said she had no supporters! She seems so so sweet, but she is being damaged by her psychopathic mistake of a mother! A perfectly good kid going to waste! Poor thing!! If her mother doesn’t even support her and puts her down, then why put her in pageants and damage her for life? She is going to grow up thinking life is all about looking perfect, always having the approval of others and always being the best. And what’s sad is she can’t even tell her mother that she doesn’t want to do all this, because her mother has the ultimate authority. Since she’s only 8, she probably thinks everything her mother does and says is right. What a shame!! I hope the best for her, and the worst for her stupid worthless mother.

Paige Johnson

Posted at 3:58 PM on July 5, 2011

What thats crazy but she also told her daugter she wasnt going to win. The when they ask Alaska who her suporters were of course she said no one im not a mother but I will never tell my daugter to do that crap they are crazy and Alaska she dosent have any one so that moma is just crazy!!!!!!!!!