Jada Pinkett Smith Gave Up Her Own Dreams So That Her Kids Could Follow Theirs! Did She Do The Right Thing?

Wed, June 29, 2011 6:00pm EDT by 11 Comments

Getty ImagesIn a new interview with Redbook Magazine, Jada honestly admits: ‘I would still be on the road with my band… if I didn’t have the responsibility of a family.’

Talk about dedication to your family! We all know Jada Pinkett Smith is a devoted mother to her three kids, Jaden, 12, Willow, 10, and stepson Trey, 18, but it’s amazing to hear how much she gave up in order for them to pursue their own dreams.

“I had to make choices,” Jada tells Redbook. “Believe me, I would still be on the road with my band, Wicked Wisdom, and making as many movies as I can a year, and doing all sorts of other things if I didn’t have the responsibility of a family. But I have children with their own talents and dreams, and I know I have to be standing next to them for that journey.”

Jada admits that deciding between her dreams and her kids’ goals was “completely excruciating,” especially when she let go of her singing career to be there for her budding actor son, Jaden.

“When Jaden was auditioning for The Pursuit of Happyness, my band had just gotten an offer to open for Guns N’ Roses in Europe. For me, that was unbelievable. But the choice was: I could be a rock star, or I could be on the set with my son to make sure he was healthy and happy,” Jada explains. “We all know how that story ended!”

Yeah — with Jaden’s movie, which he starred in alongside his dad Will Smith in 2007, grossing over $306,000,000 worldwide! And that success led to his role in The Karate Kid, in which he made over $3 million. (Yup, his pay check).

But is Jada afraid of what kind of influence this celebrity lifestyle will have on Jaden and Willow? Not necessarily.

“Let me tell you what I fear most: Them growing up like I did, in a house with drugs in a war zone, where if I walked out my door I could be shot,” Jada admits. “Hollywood ain’t nothing compared to that! Growing up in the streets of Baltimore, or the streets of Philly where Will grew up — I’d rather have my kids here. It still makes me nervous that they’re part of something that isn’t totally real, but it’s up to Will and me to teach them what’s real and what’s not.”

Do you think Jada is doing the right thing? Share your opinions!

–Leigh Blickley

More Smith Family on HollyBaby:

1. Jada Pinkett Smith Worries About The Effect Affluence Will Have On Her All-Star Kids — Is She Right To Worry?
  2. 12-Year-Old Jaden Smith Made Over $3 Millon For ‘Karate Kid!’ That’s Crazy!
  3. White House Easter Egg Roll: Did YOU Have Willow Smith at YOUR Easter Egg Party?

mplo

Posted at 11:16 AM on June 6, 2012

Jada_Dreams thinks she’s somebody, but, underneath that glitzy veneer of hers, she’s a big Nobody Mixed With Nothing.

mplo

Posted at 10:57 AM on May 30, 2012

Jada_Dreams…

You’re so full of B.S. that it’s pathetic! Your kids are going to grow up to be just like you…or possibly worse. I know who you are, you embittered, nasty-tempered, shrewish woman. Thanks for driving me off imdb.com because of my dissenting viewpoints of Ben Affleck’s hyped-up movie, The Town.

I wish to hell you’d go back to where you came from, and I know why the current POTUS was elected to the Oval Office…He represents people like your arrogant, nasty self….beautifully!

m.

Posted at 1:50 AM on May 2, 2012

I think she’s quite arrogant and insulting, and not even that attractive-looking. I feel very sorry for her husband and kids.

Kevin Howard Sr

Posted at 5:39 PM on February 11, 2012

I feel that it’s a wonderful thing she is doing because the fame as well as the fortune has to begin in a early stage. Were as with will he and his beautiful wife Jada has started earlier in their careers. Sure let the kids start young because that shows them how to be more responsible and help them develop people skills as wells other features they need to survive as they did in this horrific past that they once lived in. I feel that once they show their kids how important it is not to follow those who will set them back versus what is more important then what they can do to make their dreams come true. As the late and greatest God Father of Soul James Brown once said ” You don’t work you don’t eat”. The whole family is talentive, funny, adorable and truly an perfect role models of the Huxtables from the hit tv show “Cosby”. What ever Will and Jada do stay together and keep the love in the house because some kids don’t have both parents to live with them and to see this it makes an even stronger bond with her children and will turning the boys to men. I love the style and the who they think. Good Job and keep up what you doing and I wish the hold family good blessing and fortune to come. Will and Jade stay together to because the kids are your heart and it takes all of them to keep your beating.

LIZ

Posted at 2:09 AM on July 1, 2011

JADA HAS ALWAYS BEEN A GOOD ACTOR. I THINK SHE HAS MADE A TONS OF MONEY ALREADY & ONCE YOU BECOME A MOM YOULL GIVE UP ANYTHING FOR YOUR CHILD. GOOD CHOICE SINCE WILL IS ALREADY MAKING THE CASH PLUS JADA STILL COULD BE THERE FOR HER KIDS AT ANY STEP OF THE MOMENT!

renee

Posted at 8:46 PM on February 3, 2012

i love her and she just have too keep her hrad up .

mplo

Posted at 9:56 AM on June 12, 2012

To each their own, renee, but I just can’t stand the woman. She’s a disgustingly arrogant, embittered, nasty and ugly individual, both literally and figuratively, and I already see what’s coming down the pike with her kids; they’ll grow up to be just like her, if not worse, and she and her husband will be separated in afew years. Frankly, I wish people like her would disappear from the spotlight…for good.

renee

Posted at 8:48 PM on February 3, 2012

keep her head up much love

mplo

Posted at 3:31 AM on August 16, 2012

Get out of the spotlight, Jada baby….much disgust!

mplo

Posted at 4:41 PM on May 14, 2012

Ha ha ha! Jada_Dreams is a big hypocrite, if I ever met one online! I don’t care what she and her family have gone through or what she’s supposedly had to give up for her kids…she’s not a decent human being, in my book. Maybe if she nade an effort to become a decent, more civilized human being, she’ll earn my respect, but not before then.

mplo

Posted at 10:51 PM on June 12, 2012

Who the hell cares about Jada_Dreams’ acting career? I sure don’t! I hope her career and her family and the lifestyle that family’s leading all come tumbling down around her. She’s an embittered, hedonistic woman. Don’t let her self-sacrificing veneer fool you!