Lorena On 'The Voice': Blake Shelton Is The Most Dedicated Coach And Dia Frampton Might Win It All!

Tue, June 28, 2011 3:55pm EDT by 15 Comments
Courtesy of NBC

I love Javier Colon but I think Dia Frampton has what it takes to beat the frontrunner, and a lot of it has to do with how amazing Blake Shelton has been as a coach.

The Voice finale is tonight and I can’t wait to see what the final four contestants have in store for us! I’m especially excited to hear Dia Frampton‘s song tonight, since I’m pulling for her to win tomorrow. Dia has proven to be not only a singer, but a uniquely talented artist capable of compiling original renditions of popular songs. She’s a joy to listen to, especially live. Dia has raw talent, but I still think the reason she is at the top has much to do with her excellent mentor, Blake Shelton.

Let’s face it, anybody who is competing against the magical pipes held by Javier Colon is facing a bit of a struggle. Javier has been a favorite since the beginning of the show, and I think I’ve made my adoration for him quite clear. But Dia shocked me with her beautiful version of “Heartless” and I’ve been paying close attention to her ever since, as has the rest of the viewers. I’ve been struggling between Team Adam and Team Blake (and not just because I have a crush on Levine that I try to mention every chance I get) but now that it’s down to the wire and the finale is tonight, I’d like to throw my (oh so important) support behind Dia and Blake.

Adam’s been a great coach to Javier, but even Adam himself has admitted the singer is easy to coach with his natural talent and experience. Dia was quiet towards the beginning, known more for her awkward duet with Serabee and less for her voice. But with the help of Blake she has skyrocketed to success, and last week she ranked #7 on iTunes while Javier trailed behind at #12. In addition to Dia’s vocals and her talent at arranging music, I really do think Blake has been integral in her path to the final four.

Here’s why I think Blake has proven to be the most dedicated coach out of the panel of four:

• He is constantly focusing the media’s attention on Dia (and Xenia when she was in the competition) and making almost all of his Voice-related interviews about the singers he coaches.
  • He used his own Twitter to urge more followers towards his contestants, even long after they’d been eliminated from the competition. Dia now has the most of all the final four with 69K followers!
  • His country music background differs from Dia’s music genre but he works hard to make sure he can help her with her unique arrangements. He listened to “Losing My Religion” on repeat to make sure he could provide her assistance.
  • He chose Xenia to stay on, despite criticism, because he genuinely felt he could help her career more than Jared Blake‘s and Patrick Thomas‘s careers which he thought could do great on their own.
  • Last week he stayed after The Voice taping on Tuesday and made a point of speaking to every single reporter, walking the full press line which no other coach did, in order to fully promote his girls.
  • He brought Dia and Xenia on tour with him, and also performed “Honey Bee” on the show last week with the girls, again putting them on stage in order to divert the spotlight away from himself and onto his mentorees.
  • As soon as the voting polls opened Blake checked his phone multiple times while backstage and stays glued to iTunes, where Dia and Xenia both performed phenomenally last week.
  • Blake even has his new wife involved, asking the Grammy winner to sing a duet with Dia Frampton on stage tomorrow! He’s made his team a family, and Dia and Xenia are close friends and still stay in touch.

So tell me, do you guys agree? Do you think Blake is the most dedicated coach? Or do you think Christina Aguilera, Cee Lo Green or Adam Levine has him beat? And do you think Dia will win tomorrow night? Sound off below!

Lorena O’Neil

Love ‘The Voice’? Follow Lorena on Twitter

Check Out More Dia!

1. Click here to see why Dia is jealous of Xenia
  2. Check out what Dia will be doing with Miranda Lambert
  3. Click to hear Dia sing ‘Heartless’

clara

Posted at 8:19 PM on April 13, 2012

dia is one in a million. she makes me remember the days i used to listen to 10,000 maniacs.
her voice is unique, true, unpackaged.
blake has a really good ear.
it’s cool how he gets so excited hearing dia & xenia’s very unique voices. it was a bit of a surprise because he’s a country singer (not that i know much about country music), which made me realize good music and true talent transcends genre divisions.
i used to hate country music, but this show made me love blake shelton and miranda lambert. and opened my mind (and ears) to country music.
thank you blake shelton for bringing heart and soul to reality tv.

NewYorker

Posted at 10:39 PM on June 29, 2011

You people realize all of these singers have had singer careers prior to coming The Voice right? Vicci alone has had 8 albums to herself alone! Stop picking on Dia. She’s awesome and talented. All 4 are wonderful and deserved to be in the final.

Dale

Posted at 11:57 AM on June 29, 2011

What I think people look over is that Dia has had a contract in the past with her sister Meg and had success. Her band released two albums on WB Music before being dumped a year and a half ago. She released an album before going on the show which her and band produced in her home. She’s always been talented and has a unique voice. Blake Shelton has been the best coach on the show period. He takes great care of team and puts the focus on them. I’d say CeeLo has done a good job himself. Plus people forget the power of country music in these competition, just look at idol this year and in the past. He’s promoted his artists on twitter and the country music radio. She will get votes from that sector of music fans, thanks to Blake. It will be close and will be between Dia and Javier. It will probably come down to the itunes votes, which currently Dia is at #1 and Javier at #3. Doesn’t matter what happens, all will get record deals with some label somewhere.

Bizu

Posted at 2:48 AM on June 29, 2011

Here are the real talents

Adam lambert and James durbin. Can’t beat those two!

Bizu

Posted at 2:45 AM on June 29, 2011

Kris Allen sucked. Dia sucks. Period

dj

Posted at 1:27 AM on July 1, 2011

U SUCK! Dia is awesome!

Ricki

Posted at 8:01 PM on June 28, 2011

I also like Dia and love that sort of unique vibe. But let’s give credit where it’s due. Kris Allen was the first to do that re-arrangement of “Heartless” while on American Idol. That was probably what won him the season over Adam Lambert, in fact. Dia did a great job, but she was NOT the one to come up with the idea.

Kevin

Posted at 9:26 PM on June 28, 2011

I’m not sure why people are so stuck with the idea Kris Allen did it before Dia. Who cares!? Kris also is not the first person to do an awesome rendition of it. The Fray’s did it first. Dia never heard Kris’ version, but she did hear The Fray’s version. That is why her version is more similar to The Fray’s than Kris’. Again, who cares!? Just enjoy the music!

Sil

Posted at 11:07 PM on June 28, 2011

The Fray were first, not Kris, not Dia. To pull off a rendition as striking as any of them, though, is a huge feat. Each artist’s version is their own, and Dia knocked it out of the park.

That said, Dia deserves this. If she loses to Javier tomorrow, my faith in televised American singing competitions has been lost to the ruthless voting of tween girls. American Idol has been plagued by them. So, so sad.

Ralph

Posted at 1:13 AM on June 29, 2011

Not true.. If you listen th Kris’s Heartless version in its entire length and Dia’s, you will see several differences.. She adds vibrato, she has changed it around.. The only similarity between the two is that they sing it slower than Kanye.. Nothing else.

umm...

Posted at 1:27 AM on June 29, 2011

It wasn’t Kris Allen’s!!! It was The Fray’s!!! The Fray’s and Dia’s version was far superior to Kris Allen’s anyway

Leah

Posted at 5:28 PM on June 28, 2011

I totally agree Blake really has helped mold his team/Dia! Seriously 3 of his 4 girls in the final eight had such stage freight. He really had to work one on one to help them. No other coach had to really deal w/ that at all. I think that all of the coaches have done a good job, but Blake has really gone above and beyond to create a strong fun vibe w/ his team. The other coaches and their teams are like we have to beat them, we are going to win. Blake has consistantly told his team to go out there and live your dreams and have fun! Funny how many thought this team was one of the weakest, when actually his final four artists were best sellers on itunes.

dj

Posted at 1:29 AM on July 1, 2011

i couldn’t more… blake and dia are the best.

dj

Posted at 1:30 AM on July 1, 2011

i couldn’t agree more… blake and dia are the best.

Jim Boatright

Posted at 7:16 AM on July 2, 2011

Blake Shelton is a nice guy period. A rarity in the music business. I saw him at a baseball stadium in Port Charlotte, Florida six years ago. He was great then and great now. You’ll see his girls on CMT because Blake will see they get record contracts and videos.