'Teen Mom' Amber Portwood Admits: 'I Am Going To Rehab' After Suicide Attempt

Wed, June 22, 2011 10:49am EST by 13 Comments

Amber spoke exclusively to Star magazine about seeking help for anger issues and depression: ‘I’m in a vulnerable state right now.’

After her June 14 suicide scare, Teen Mom star Amber Portwood has personally decided to check into a California rehabilitation center to receive the help and support she needs during this tough time. Do you think she’s doing the right thing?

“I am going to rehab for anger control issues and depression,” Amber, 21, tells Star magazine. “I’m on medication at the moment to help me just relax. I’m getting the help I need from friends, family and counseling.”

As for why she attempted to kill herself, Amber has no answers. “I’m in a vulnerable state right now, and I know people want a lot of answers. Unfortunately, I don’t have those answers yet, and I’m working on myself to get them,” Amber admits, adding of rehab, “It’s something I need to do to get better.”

Her on-again-off-again beau and baby daddy Gary Shirley talked to a disturbed Amber before she was found in a semiconscious state by police in her Anderson, Ind. home on June 14. Although she has never admitted to having a drug problem, a source close to the MTV star says while she was on a 72 hour psychiatric watch she told hospital staffers that she had taken pills.

“Before I go to California, I’m pursuing help with a psychiatrist,” Amber explains, saying, “I’m stable, doing OK and getting the help I need.”

Amber lost custody of her 2-year-old daughter Leah last month and is only allowed “a supervised visit with Leah one day a week” according to a family friend. And she missed that one visit last week after her suicide scare.

“It’s hard enough on little Leah because her time with her mother was already so precious, but when Amber didn’t show up, she kept asking, ‘Where’s my mommy?’ It was heartbreaking.”

We’re glad Amber is seeking the help she needs.

–Leigh Blickley

More on ‘Teen Mom’ Amber:

1. Exclusive Interview With Amber’s Step-Grandma: I Don’t Approve Of Her Lifestyle!
  2. ‘Teen Mom’ Star Gary Shirley Is ‘Pro-Amber’ After Her Scary Suicide Attempt
  3. Amber Released From Hospital After Suicide Attempt

Selena

Posted at 12:44 PM on July 25, 2011

Who is this ugly woman and who really cares??

Elizabeth

Posted at 1:00 AM on July 24, 2011

I don’t think amber is doing it “just for attention.” You have no idea what it’s like to be in her position, and you wouldn’t want to be. If she is on depression medication, she is legitimately depressed, doctors don’t just put anyone on meds if they don’t need them. And also, if my boyfriend was as lazy as Gary is, and as rude as he is (Like in the episode where he wouldn’t let her go out ON HER BIRTHDAY), i would always be aggravated with him too. And for the person who said if people like her, they’re idiots, I’d like to say you’re the idiot, for judging people you’ve never met, and know nothing about. You know what you see on TV, and MTV obviously plays the most dramatic stuff that happens…I don’t necessarily like her, but i’m not going to judge her and hate her when i don’t even know what she’s gone through.

RiceMartha

Posted at 7:50 AM on July 14, 2011

I paid $32.67 for a XBOX 360 and my mom got a 17 inch Toshiba laptop for $94.83 being delivered to our house tomorrow by FedEX. I will never again pay expensive retail prices at stores. I even sold a 46 inch HDTV to my boss for $650 and it only cost me $52.78 to get. Here is the website we using to get all this stuff, PennyOrder.com

lil glo

Posted at 12:47 AM on July 10, 2011

Mojo U r so right!thats what is going to happen to that Tot Mom Casey Anthony,at least Amber didnt kill her baby she was found not guilty!not innocent!exactly what one lady on the jury said….I think they do fall in love with being in the limelite!Please everybody go sign Caylee’s Law!Please sign it.in her memor

mojo

Posted at 8:54 PM on June 30, 2011

Glutton for attention ……

momma

Posted at 3:30 PM on June 29, 2011

i totally support her with her decision… we all went through the same thing having a child at that age… not exactly the same thing., but she’s just a kid herself… give her a break guys…

newnew

Posted at 6:32 PM on June 28, 2011

i feel yo amber its good that you are gg beter i hope i see you on the show.i hopre you wrk on your problems. and be blessed

just me

Posted at 3:07 AM on June 26, 2011

i just saw her with gary today at the local anderson mall.
they both kept walking around and going back and forth between 2 jewelry stores.you should have heard some of the comments people were making.
one thing i did notice is that she did not look or act depressed.it was like she wanted the attention,or for people
to notice that she was in the mall.it was pretty sad really.

lizzy

Posted at 11:31 PM on June 22, 2011

this whole thing just bad i feel bad for her but she did put her self here. Her family blames MTV for it all that is they had just didnt air her beating on her kids dad it would ahve been ok, like really maybe hse shouldnt have been beating on him and i mean he no better he worthless lil boy that baby should be in a good home he nor she are good parents most of all i feel for that little girl who grow up seen all of this seen both her parents cheat on each other yell at each other fight run away try to kill them selfs and then play fame whore congrates to there parents

April

Posted at 6:26 PM on June 22, 2011

I believe amber is just trying to b like that other rehab worthless mom. She is doing it for publicity. And for the public to stop criticizing her. She’s just plane nuts. If she is so unhappy maybe she should get off tv and get a real job. And stop dating every guy she met at Walmart. She’s a loser for life.

Erin

Posted at 2:05 PM on July 22, 2011

Totally. I hate Amber. And I don’t like Gary either. Honestly, the only one I like out of that family is Leah. Amber is a spoiled, self centered, BRAT, and anyone that has seen the show and doesn’t think so is an IDIOT, who is probably also a spoiled self centered brat. She has ruined Leah’s life already, because someday, Leah’s going to grow up, watch reruns, and be like, ‘Oh my gosh. My mom is a horrible person. And some guy that I don’t even know has seen my vagina.’ yeah. Mother of the Year every body, let’s give it to her.

sabrina

Posted at 2:09 PM on July 25, 2011

well i think she is a good person rehab is something is want’s to go to let her u never know if it will help her anger and its not our chooses to judge her and i dont why u guy say thing’s about her when its who she is press is not going to change her or what she did

?

Posted at 11:30 AM on June 22, 2011

I feel for Amber and what she is going through, but I think the answer is withdrawing from Teen Mom and going to therapy! Rehab is not the answer for any time someone has an issue. If she has an addiction then yes go to rehab, but anger issues does not warrant a stay in an inpatient rehab. If MTV cameras make a special about it, I will never watch the network again!