'Falling Skies' Series Premiere Recap: The Aliens Have Landed — And We're Hooked!

Mon, June 20, 2011 12:27am EDT by 6 Comments

One dad’s search for his alien-napped son was the perfect way to end Father’s Day! What did YOU think of the premiere?

If there’s one thing I learned from the June 19 series of premiere of TNT’s Falling Skies, it’s that I would be the first person killed upon an alien invasion. In case you missed the two-hour opener, Falling Skies is the story of Tom Mason (Noah Wyle), a history professor-turned-refugee who must survive following the invasion of robotic alien creatures known as “mechs” and “skitters.”

And while the show may have been produced by Steven Spielberg, these aliens were far from the cute-and-cuddly E.T. I was secretly hoping for. Nope, these guys were enormous, metallic, and armed with enough lasers to blow Tom and his merry band of refugees — known as the 2nd Massachusetts — to pieces.

But what surprised me the most about the two-hour premiere was that, underneath all the gunfire and explosions, was a show with a lot of heart. In some ways, I felt like I was watching an alien version of The Walking Dead, as we were given a pretty solid glance into the lives of Tom and his fellow survivors.

The focus on Tom’s relationships with his three sons made it oddly appropriate for Falling Skies to premiere on Father’s Day. While Tom’s middle son, Ben (Connor Jessup), was kidnapped by the aliens, his other two sons — Matt (Maxim Knight) and Hal (Drew Roy) — were right there by his side, hoping to learn enough about the “mechs” and “skitters” to kill them.

Also to the show’s credit, I wasted a TON of time on its surprisingly addictive website. (Click here to check that out.) If you find yourself obsessed with the show’s theology — or just its intense soundtrack — you’ll probably get lost surfing it as well.

But now that I’m sucked in, there are a ton of questions I want answered. What happened to the characters between the invasion and the formation of the 2nd Massachusetts? How do you kill those stupid things? And, dear God, will Tom & friends ever find Ben?!

— Andy Swift

Mr. Big

Posted at 12:17 AM on June 26, 2011

Wow, Capital H for Horrible.

Where o Where is story telling talent gone…….

beep

Posted at 6:55 AM on June 20, 2011

was bored from start to finish! am not going to watch the rest of the series anytime soon~!

Johnny Reb

Posted at 3:25 AM on June 20, 2011

Falling Skies reminds me a bit of War of the Worlds (the series), and it’s not too bad. I will give it a few weeks to make a full judgment on the show BUT I think it will get better over time.

I did note that by the general population exercising their second amendment right to keep and bear arms the population was able to form a reasonable resistance against the occupiers. I don’t think that Steven Spielberg ever intended for the connection between general population gun ownership and rebellion against oppression from space, foreign or domestic entities to be so crystal clear.

The show also showed how there will be groups that have, and groups that have not, and that the group that have must be able defend what they have.

Overmind One

Posted at 2:44 AM on June 20, 2011

OMG, this is worse than Stargate Universe. What is wrong with Hollywood lately? Why do they think that a crappy soap opera dressed in a space suit is gonna fool science fiction fans or draw in drama fans? This show is the epitome of formulaic writing, with recycled character elements, tired dramatic plotlines, and too many people in the cast. Where are the aliens? I give this show a single season before cancellation.

christine

Posted at 2:14 AM on June 20, 2011

Brian so right. I seen better alien movies.

Brian

Posted at 2:05 AM on June 20, 2011

This was so horrible! I now have lost 2 hours of my life I can never get back. I will not watch again. What a disappointment!