Selena Gomez Admits She Can Be Vain: 'This Is A Very Superficial Job!'

Thu, June 16, 2011 5:24pm EDT by 13 Comments

Even though we think Selena Gomez always acts humble and mature, the 18-year-old Disney starlet says in her E! Entertainment Special even she finds herself buying into being a ‘celebrity!’

When we think of Selena Gomez, we imagine the gorgeous, cheerful and refined 18-year-old actress and singer from Disney Channel’s Wizards of Waverly Place. However, Selena opens up in her new E! Entertainment Special, which airs June 29, and says she’s not always perfect — especially when it comes to being so famous.

“This is a very superficial job. I sit in a chair for two hours and get hair and makeup done and talk about [myself] in interviews. That’s a very vain thing to do. And I do get caught up in it sometimes. I do,” Selena says.

But when she catches herself believing too much of her own press, Selena says she tries to come back down to earth because she knows her fans look up to her.

“I never really said I want to be a role model. But then when it happened I was so down for it. Once I realized that I’d have a little girl come to [me] and say she wants to be just like [me]. It [is] beautiful and I accept it,” she explains, adding, “I’m human, I’m not perfect. I make mistakes all the time, but I guess my job is to keep those mistakes to myself, which I’m already fine doing and just try to be the best I can be for those kids.”

We cannot wait to hear all the inside scoop on Selena’s life during this special on E! — everyone from her mom, to her cousin have contributed to the piece, which means we’ll get the full story!

Get More From Our BFFs at Glamour.com

1. 12 Ways to Flirt Without Saying a Word
  2. 53 Swimsuits That’ll Make You Look 10 Pounds Thinner
  3. How to Find Your Body’s Sexiest Swimsuit
  4. 21 Pretty Nail Polish Ideas to Try This Summer

annoying

Posted at 11:46 AM on June 17, 2011

hollywoodlife, why are you not showing my comment?

Lover

Posted at 11:09 AM on June 17, 2011

Stop the hate towards Selena gomez just becuase she is dateing Jb they look really cute together and i hope they stay together they are not going to break up because haters are saying bad things……..DONT GET MAD AT THE HATERS EITHER………it’s they job to hate they just don’t know that it is bad for them to hate and good for the people that they are hateing on i think Selena got atleast 130 haters I say she get more before fall either way she will still have more fans and still make good music i love my haters because they don’t know why they hatein. selena is the most prettiest and sweetest girl she is very lucky LUV U SELENA

patrick hong

Posted at 9:06 AM on June 17, 2011

Selena i am not your fan any more because u are with jb and i don’t like u kissing him if u do i will kill jb

Nadia

Posted at 7:46 AM on June 17, 2011

Selena is fake for not sharing her mistakes?
Miley is a whore for the fact that her mistakes are going public.. people make up your mind..

Selena is in the spotlight of hate for dating justin..
but not so long ago it was Miley because of her bong video..

they are human.. let them be.. don’t expect impossible things from these girls..

it doesn’t matter what they do.. there always gonna be haters at the end..

i love them both !

M

Posted at 10:25 PM on June 16, 2011

What’s up with all the hate? I love Selena Gomez!

patrick hong

Posted at 9:11 AM on June 17, 2011

i hate Selena cause she is with cry baby sucker balls jb

tired

Posted at 8:04 PM on June 16, 2011

Your job is to keep your mistakes to yourself? I always knew you were fake.

YeahYeah

Posted at 6:56 AM on June 17, 2011

Keeping your mistakes to yourself is not fake. She’s doing it for many girls who look up to her… if she goes down the road that Miley took you’d still call her fake. She’s sacrificing her own feelings and insecurities and tries to appear confident and good-natured to take care of the hearts of many others. That;s not fake… it’s ‘improving’ and always changing yourself for the better. Call it what you want, but you know that whether she’s a good or bad girl it doesn’t matter. People like you will always think of her the same way.

Oh and about the Miley thing, it’s not like I hate her or anything, but even if that’s who she ‘really’ is, she should at least try to be decent enough for the younger generation of her audience. I remember my shock and dissapointment in her attitude coz I thought she was mature and sensitive to many things.

marwah majid

Posted at 6:45 PM on June 16, 2011

OMG!!!! can she look anymore pathetic.I HATE HER SOOOOOOO MUCH

Pickley

Posted at 6:47 PM on June 16, 2011

Go away, little Bieber fan.

patrick hong

Posted at 9:09 AM on June 17, 2011

Selena she better get away from jb

Patricia hongogaho

Posted at 1:31 PM on June 17, 2011

Hey patricia hongoga STFU UR not the boss of selena … She can date whoever she wants ur not her dad so go away… If ur a true fan then ur gonna support her no matter wat sooo bye bye bye now go!!!!!
Sincerly ur first hater

Patriciaada hongolong

Posted at 1:34 PM on June 17, 2011

Ohhhhh patricia honggogogo got BURN ohhhhh tssstssstsss:D
Hahah i agree with ur hater hahah lol lmfao wat u gonna say now huh:)
Oohhhhh BURN