Is Joe Jonas Apologizing To Demi Lovato In His New Song, 'I'm Sorry'?

Thu, June 16, 2011 8:56pm EDT by 154 Comments

Joe Jonas says his new song, “I’m Sorry,” is about one of his relationships. Is he finally apologizing to Demi Lovato, or is it an ode to one of his other celebrity girlfriends?

We all know Joe Jonas isn’t exactly going to win the “Best Boyfriend” award. From Taylor Swift to Ashley Greene, Joe has famously fallen out of love just as quickly as he falls in. The notorious play boy says he’s about to apologize to one of his sweethearts in his new song, “I’m Sorry” — but will it be about the one girl he hurt the most?

“‘I’m Sorry’ is really honest,” Joe, 21, told E! Online’s Marc Malkin June 16. “It’s saying, I screwed up. I didn’t cheat on the person, but just I messed up and I wanted the person back. I’m just putting it all on the table saying, ‘I’m sorry. I wish I could have you back.'”

Joe dramatically dumped his girlfriend, former best friend and co-star, Demi Lovato, last year, only to join her on tour months later and bring along his new girlfriend, Ashley Greene. Demi, 18, subsequently, suffered from a breakdown, quit the tour and shipped off to treatment in Chicago for “emotional and physical issues.” Although Joe didn’t technically do anything wrong, it’s widely presumed he played some role in Demi’s problems.

“Those kind of songs are really hard because you know that person is going to hear it,” he said. “[But] I’ve never really reached out to somebody about a song. I feel every artist is entitled to write honestly. So I’ve never reached out to them unless they reached out to me.”

Out of all the girls he’s dated, I think Joe owes Demi an apology most. She was more than just a random girl he dated — she was a family friend, a co-worker and most importantly, she considered him one of her best friends. Even if he didn’t actually cheat on her with Ashley, he disrespected her by flaunting his new girlfriend in Demi’s face while they were on tour. It was insensitive and rude!

Hopefully we’ll hear “I’m Sorry” soon — but regardless, it will be on Joe’s first solo album, which is set to drop Sept. 6. Are YOU excited to hear it?

Read More About Joe Jonas!

1. Joes’ First Solo Single ‘See No More’! Is It About Ex-Girlfriend Ashley Greene?
  2. Producer Brian Kennedy Reveals An Exclusive Look Of Joe Jonas In The Studio!
  3. Joe Jonas’ New Older Woman — Now He’s Chasing After Olivia Munn!

andrea

Posted at 8:25 AM on November 22, 2011

it better be about demi

Aleisha

Posted at 3:30 AM on November 21, 2011

I reckon its for taylor i disagree i dont think for one second joe had anything todo with demis break down she said so herself it was from years of bullying she suffered

Lovatic

Posted at 2:18 PM on November 12, 2011

I don’t hate Joe for this, I love his music. But I will always be a Lovatic, no matter what. <3

Lovatic

Posted at 2:15 PM on November 12, 2011

I honestly believe that it is for Demi. I mean he wrote Much Better for Taylor which means its not her. Camilla ya he was hurt but no. With Ashley he broke up with her because of his busy schedule so she’s out too. He DEFINITELY owes Demi an apology he didn’t just lose a girlfriend, he lost a best friend. <3

Lovatic

Posted at 2:16 PM on November 12, 2011

I also don’t hate Joe for this, he’s talented and I love his music. But I’ll always be a Lovatic no matter what.

Lovato

Posted at 12:31 PM on November 10, 2011

They were a perfect couple but that bithch ashely destryed evry thing do u know what I hate her with all my hart …
HELLO Joe were are ur eyes don’t u see that demi is an angel u make her sad for whaTTT hëë ???? for ashelyy green ughhhhh u u just don’t deserve her demi is beatiful outside as beatiful inside so just only remember those moments with demi and say what did I do uuohh god help me ?
Demi Lovato the best for ever in the world a princess love ya demi

zara

Posted at 9:17 PM on November 2, 2011

I jst luv to c dem together again I hope dey get bck caz dey make a cute couple we all knw Wat dey been thrw but dey nyd to give a nothr chance to one another luv u both

Lily

Posted at 12:20 PM on October 12, 2011

A insider have told that Joe only was together with Demi to promote thère new Movie “Camp Rock 2″ and because Demi Got so pissed of Ashley, Joe and his dad told Demi, and that was what really broke her.
But i Think the most evil thing hé did, was hé also stopped her friendship with her other Best friend Nick. They can’t be together now, because of Joe.

sarah

Posted at 1:36 AM on October 9, 2011

yeah,i really think its for demi… he hurt her so badly ..that song is really meant for demi …listen to the song very carefully…

mary

Posted at 9:31 AM on October 7, 2011

mary

Posted at 9:30 AM on October 7, 2011

i totally agree with you saying “he disrespected her by flaunting his new girlfriend in Demi’s face while they were on tour.. it was insensitive and rude”… so for sure demis deserves an apology ..HUGE apology.

perla

Posted at 8:47 AM on September 28, 2011

pfffffff!I wish I don`t think that joe gonna do somthing like that!

Manny

Posted at 7:54 AM on September 8, 2011

Joe’s producer officially announced on twitter that this song is for Demi.

Jasmine

Posted at 6:37 AM on November 3, 2011

Imma need some proof of that lol cuz I honestly keep hearing that he’s officially said it was for Demi, but no one has showed me where to see that for myself.

MHM

Posted at 4:05 PM on August 29, 2011

I am 100% positive, I’m Sorry is for NO ONE! It’s just a song with deep lyrics, it’s not really meant for anyone, do you think every deep song is meant for someone, think again! He said the song is about saying he screwed up and wanted the person back, that’s the description of the song, what the story of the song is, not that it happened in real, every song has a story, well some, because the song these days make no sense. Did he say “I wrote this song for one of my ex-gf and i screwed up, i didn’t cheat and i want her back, I’m sorry, I wish I could have you back” in exact words, I haven’t heard the interview. I would say it’s a publicity stunt.
Joe clearly goes looking for love, you don’t look for love, you fall in love. I think she’s beautiful, lemme date her. Uh I don’t really like her too much. *DUMP* Byeee, Movin’ On!
He’ll find his princess some day.

tuggerina

Posted at 7:41 AM on September 5, 2011

he said himself that he was apologizing to one of his former girlfriends. I guess you missed that part in the article ? ” The notorious play boy says he’s about to apologize to one of his sweethearts in his new song, “I’m Sorry” — but will it be about the one girl he hurt the most?”

cutesajeep

Posted at 11:30 AM on August 28, 2011

line from Im sorry ;
you were in a rush, you forgot yourself

i think it’s about demi cuz, she lost herself and went to rehab.

Alyssa

Posted at 5:20 AM on August 28, 2011

I agree that Demi deserves an apology the most but the sing is for someone he wants back. He said he broke up with Demi because he thought they should just be friends. I don’t think he wants too get back together. He broke up with Ashley Greene because of busy schedules. Not his fault and she’s been seen with other guys. Camillia Belle broke up with him and might of cheated. My guess is the song is for Taylor Swift or someone else. Maybe a secret or less know relationship?

Alyssa

Posted at 5:20 AM on August 28, 2011

I meant song.

Sheba

Posted at 11:19 PM on August 26, 2011

this is about Demi.. Taylor is not the kind of person joe would want to apologize to. he didnt diss taylor… demi on the other was his best friend for years and he was very insensitive to her. she’s not even immature like taylor to try and slam him abt it. she deserves an apology and the entire Jonas clan whos… so, i will bet $1000 that it for Demi!

Bayan al-faraj

Posted at 1:40 AM on August 19, 2011

100% it’s for demi ,, if they back together i’ll the happiest person ever <3_______<3 i love jemi <3

Voice of reason

Posted at 10:15 AM on August 18, 2011

I do believe that this song is about Demi.
Demi had a bigger role in Joe’s life. She was his best friend for almost 4 years. Taylor was a summer fling.
Around the time Joe wrote this song, It was directly after his break up with Demi. Yes, he was with Ashley, but that doesn’t take away the feeling of losing a best friend who was always there for you during the highs and lows.

The possible reason he said “I never cheated on anyone,” could be due to the rumors earlier last year where Joe was cheating on Demi with Ashley Greene.
In the song, he states that he “used” the girl [whomever the song is about].

Now, we don’t know what really happened behind closed doors. For all we know, it could have been anyone. He could have used one of the lovely ladies to make himself feel better.

Me

Posted at 5:14 PM on August 9, 2011

So in conclusion, Joe is a douche who uses situations to his advantage not much different from Taylor Swift. His daddy is his biggest supporter and enabler in his douchebaggery ways.

me

Posted at 5:57 PM on August 11, 2011

It’s not like he goes and posts videos ripping people’s heads off of a doll…. so not quiet like Taylor who also puts the guys’ names in the songs. I think he may have written a blog, but it was taken down hours or days later, if I remember correctly.
Joe, nick, or Kevin have never put a person’s name in a song or out right said who it was about. Yes, Much Better was probably about Taylor, but she did deserve it and it wasn’t really rude imo. It was just a song, just like she wrote a song about him.
The best musician or screenwriter writes about what they know. Musicians often know best what they went through, including relationships. Songs are almost like closure. It’s the last word.
And even the songs that he does write about people, they aren’t rude songs like Taylors are sometimes (or depressing), imo.

tuggerina

Posted at 7:45 AM on September 5, 2011

his dad is a minister. he would not support that. JJ is not a douche, he prob just has some.. problems going on in his life. obviously he just needs to slow down and stop looking for the right one, and then she will come along. we all want to find love, the celebrities too.

Me

Posted at 4:54 PM on August 9, 2011

It’s funny how Taylor and Demi fans care so much about who this song is about and think they know the inner and out of each relationship. I will say this though, about Jaylor, when Joe dumped her he dated someone else [Camilla] immediately after and didn’t seem like he wanted Taylor back in his life as he wrote Much Better [She deserved it imo] for her. After Camilla broke up with him he was heartbroken but he didnt seem like he wanted Taylor back either as he made fun of her back in Nov 2009 in Europe while singing Much Better. Later on he reconnected with Taylor in Jan. When he wrote I’m Sorry it was around the time he was dating Ashley he wrote it with Rob. He said about a month ago that at the time he wrote this song he wanted that person bak in his life so it wouldn’t make sense that he wrote it thinking of Taylor because he was already on good terms with her and the way he spoke of the song seemed like he was on bad terms with that person while writing it. Maybe this is publicity, that or this song is about Demi but the last bit throws me off from it being about Demi because of the cont

amanda

Posted at 10:34 AM on August 6, 2011

“I didn’t cheat on the person” Taylor claimed Joe cheated on her/left her for Camilla.
“So I’ve never reached out to them unless they reached out to me” Taylor has written COUNTLESS songs about him, basically reaching out to him through music.
I DEFINITELY think I’m Sorry is about Taylor, I hope so anyway. But Demi was one of his closest friends for years.. I think both Demi and Taylor deserve an huge apology.

Martina

Posted at 4:13 AM on August 3, 2011

He really owes her one BIG apology even though I think he should stay away from her ’cause Lovatics will kill him :P

JM

Posted at 4:34 AM on August 2, 2011

lololololl he should say sorry to all the girls he effing hurt.

Maria

Posted at 12:38 AM on August 2, 2011

Its definetly for emi. Why in the name of hell would he want Taylor back? You know? He really loves Demi and won’t ever let that go.

Voice of reason

Posted at 10:09 AM on August 18, 2011

You’re correct

SomeoneWhoSupportDemiLovato

Posted at 3:26 PM on August 24, 2011

I know. Why would he wrote a song about Taylor if they broke up over phone call… Demi was his best friend for years and now they’re not even frineds anymore :(

ashley

Posted at 5:22 PM on July 27, 2011

i honestley belive its 4 demi :)he says he didnt cheat or anything cause that means its obvously not about taylor cause he said that and really taylor would be the last one he would want back he even sang her a song saying that some other girl was much better so really taylor i dont think so and what he means is this is the first time he is reacing out 2 someone who has not written about him if u read it right SO IVE NEVER REACED OUT 2 SOMEONE UNLESS THEY HAVE REACHED OUT 2 ME whitch he is doing in this song this is defenetly 4 demi he misses her so much and really still loves her u could see it in his eyes when they were still on tour and feels really bad 4 letting her down not only his gf but his bff <3