'The Voice's' Javier Colon: I Had To Fight Hard To Sing 'Angel', Adam Levine Didn't Want Me To!

Thu, June 16, 2011 10:00pm EST by 17 Comments

‘The Voice’ front-runner reveals to us he almost didn’t sing the Sarah McLachlan song on Tuesday and talks about the special suit Adam Levine gave him before his performance! Watch our exclusive interview.

At this point in the competition, it’s pretty safe to say Javier Colon is the top contender to win this season’s The Voice. He still has great competition (Dia Frampton, Vicci Martinez and Jeff Jenkins to name a few) but even his fellow contestants all think he’s the one to beat! The suave singer wooed fans with a beautiful rendition of Sarah McLachlan‘s ‘Angel’ on Tuesday, and afterward Adam Levine hinted that Javier really worked to sing that song. HollywoodLife.com spoke to Javier and he revealed, “I had to fight for it.”

“I’ve been singing for a long time, I’ve been struggling for a long time, there’s certain songs that work in shows I’ve done in the past, and certain songs that don’t. When I would sing this particular song, when I would sing ‘Angel’, it always seemed to get a good response. I always told myself, you know what, if I get a chance to perform in front of a lot of people and I only have one song to try to move people with, there’s a short list of songs and that is on it. And I had to fight for it. There was a list of folks that didn’t want me to sing this song. Adam definitely didn’t love it at first. He wanted something else …” Javier explained. He couldn’t tell us the exact song since he might sing it in the future! But he had a lot of praise for his coach.

“The great thing about Adam is he is just a great coach. He gives great advice and if we take it, he is happy, but even if we have some dialogue about it, he just wants us to be happy. He knows how important this is to us. He knows that if we pick a song that we are not in love with and then we go home, we are going to go home saying you know I don’t like that song choice. If I go home next week … I went home singing a song I absolutely loved and I can’t be mad. If I went home, I went home. That’s what I love about Adam. He lets us be who we are and listens to us, which is awesome.”

Javier has been a favorite since the beginning of this season, and the other contestants are definitely starting to feel the competition. Casey Weston tells us, “Oh man, Javier is amazing!” and Curtis Grimes acknowledged, “I think he’s the one to beat.” Social Media Correspondent Alison Haislip even pointed out that Javier was the only contestant to trend on Twitter before he even performed. But Javier stays as humble and sweet as ever. “That’s flattering, but I look around and I see a ton of competition. I look to my left I see Jeff Jenkins, I see Dia over there, Nakia, Vicci, Casey…there’s just so many talented people that you can’t get caught up in if you’re the front-runner .. I mean its some pressure because people are looking to you to perform. There are expectations — people are looking for you to go up there and beat what you did last time. And that’s my only goal is to do that every time. Frenchie’s to my right, I think anybody that’s left can win this so you gotta get up and do your best every time.”

Javier also revealed that Adam wanted to “dress him to the nines” but that he insisted on wearing a hat and jeans and snakers, but he relented on the blazer. But Adam gifted all of his singers with a personal present before the show and he gave Javier a suit. “It is awesome,” Javier laughs. “I think you are going to see the suit at one time. He gave it to me, and I gotta wear it.”

(Sidenote: Adam also gave Casey guitar picks with her name engraved on them, gave Jeff a vintage watch, and Devon a jacket from his own closer, which Devon snuck on stage to wear during his performance without getting it approved through wardrobe.)

So what do you guys think? Is Javier going to definitely win or do you think there’s a chance somebody else will take home the honor of being the first Voice winner?

Loading video...

Read More About The Voice!

1. Christina & Adam Are The New Paula & Simon — But Better!
  2. ‘The Voice’ Paychecks Revealed: Christina Makes A Whopping $225,000 Per Episode!
  3. ‘The Voice’ Stars Weigh In On Why Blake Shelton Chose To Save Xenia

brettrossi

Posted at 10:43 PM on February 25, 2014

Your style is unique compared to other people I’ve read stuff from.
Thanks for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I will just book mark this site.

Alejandrina

Posted at 6:24 AM on February 23, 2014

Have you ever considered publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other websites?
I have a blog based on the same topics you discuss and
would really like to have you share some stories/information.

I know my readers would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free
to send me an e mail.

Karina

Posted at 9:48 PM on June 8, 2012

mannn i feel bad for herr,,all this ppl r calling her name,! wow iwish i can bmcoee famous but den wen i see justin bieber and miley cyrus how ett gets wid dem,dammn i thibk twice!

christopher

Posted at 7:46 PM on June 24, 2011

What kills me is that the majority of people lack the ability to judge this thing for themselves. All they can do is repeat what the judges say. They have no opinion of their own, until they are told what there opinion should be.

If the judges had said all along that Javier was not so good, how many of you would have disagreed and said WOW! He is sooo great!!

About 2 of you, I would imagine. You are afraid you won’t be “right” when there is no right or wrong. It is just a matter of personal preference.

I want you all to buy Javier’s albums when they are released. Put your money where your mouth it.

In the real world, do you really think he has what it takes? (obviously the answer is no, because he has already had a record contract and lost it because, apparently, he didn’t have the “voice” then.)

Suzie

Posted at 9:51 PM on June 29, 2011

sour grapes?

Jessica

Posted at 3:44 AM on June 23, 2011

Seriously, Javier is very talented. & he deserves to win. He IS the best. They all have their flaws, but Javier has something about him. I seen it from the minute he opened his mouth to sing Time After Time.

Rick

Posted at 1:13 PM on June 22, 2011

Whoever said that Colon should get rid of the hat is spot on! It’s so annoying.
As for his singing, it’s good, but not unique or memorable to the point of making me want to hear him sing yet again. But, honestly, none of the contestants, or judges for that matter, inspire me. It’s pretty much blah.

S. Frank McKoy, Ed.D.

Posted at 10:34 AM on June 20, 2011

When I first heard Javier Colon on YOU TUBE, I
couldn’t believe the sound coming out of his mouth:
an angel was singing. The words are just right. I am
hoping that he wins.

Beverly

Posted at 11:51 AM on June 19, 2011

I don’t know why everyone thinks Javier is the one to beat. All the buzz has been about Dia, Vicci, Beverly, … in fact, none of the guys except Javier has generated much attention.

I totally agree with Mida, Javier is generic. He may be a great voice on The Voice, but he will fade out quickly in the real world…pretty much like he did before. There is a reason he’s a has been already. He really needed to listen to Adam more…stop the rifts, sing something that doesn’t remind everyone of dead dogs, and please, please lose the hat.

Chris

Posted at 7:38 PM on June 24, 2011

Thank you! Javier is already a has been.
There’s nothing fresh or unique about him. He will quickly fade away once he is off the show.
And those endless rifts. Really?? That is soooo annoying. A few, okay, but every note does not need to rifted. That is so not artistic, that is trying too hard to be something that doesn’t come natural.

r

Posted at 5:08 PM on June 18, 2011

Vicci is the one to beat. Javier oversings and always sings in the same genre. He is not versatile!

KP

Posted at 11:35 AM on June 18, 2011

Javier is ggreat, but a little too self-confident. He can get carried away with giicky runs. Vickie Martinez is the one to beat. She’s natural and feels every beat of her songs.

vbncg

Posted at 8:53 AM on June 17, 2011

“Mocha & Milk” is a perfect matc h like “black & white” people

—- Black’ White ‘Fli rt ” C óM —-

The most s uccessful interra cial da t ing c lub. If you are still waiting for your sweet “milk” or “mocha”, don’t hesitate to check it !! Don’t let your babie s wait too lon g for you !!

zhengttp

Posted at 3:41 AM on June 17, 2011

◎★◎

believe you will love it.

====( w w w )( jordans forking )( c o m )

BEST QUALITY GUARANTEE!!

psiri

Posted at 12:55 AM on June 17, 2011

Xenia is unique. Maybe young but OMG she is a diamond in the rough

rance stoddard

Posted at 11:14 PM on June 16, 2011

Javier will definitely win…it’s been set up for him to do so. When Patrick was thrown under the bus for a nice little girl who cannot sing on pitch and has zero stage presence, most of America realized that the show is a total fraud.

mida

Posted at 11:08 PM on June 16, 2011

Colon has a great voice and yet he has that generic r and b style that I hear nowadays with a lot of extra notes. It’s like hearing someone play a piano with all the right technic and yet lacking feeling that will move a listeners. A bit overated, I’d say. That night, in Cee Lo’s group, I’d say Nakia and Martinez are the stand out. In Lavine’s group, Casey and …..wow….I guess, Casey.