'The Voice' Stars Weigh In On Why Blake Shelton Chose To Save Xenia, Shocking America

Wed, June 15, 2011 5:44am EDT by 48 Comments

Blake Shelton and Christina Aguilera each send two contestants home on tonight’s episode of ‘The Voice’. Did they make the right decision with their saves?

Today was tough on The Voice judges Blake Shelton and Christina Aguilera, they had to choose who to save from their respective teams while America’s saves were announced. Christina cried right from the start and said quite a few words about how hard of a decision it was while Blake says he “hate[s] this moment” and was “dreading” the elimination. Ultimately, he chose to save Xenia after Dia Frampton was saved by her voters for her Heartless rendition by Kanye West. (She told us she felt “dizzy” when she heard her name called.)

“I can’t affect change with Jared Blake or Patrick Thomas like I can with Xenia, so I am going to pick Xenia,” Blake said, and you could hear an audible gasp from the audience. Many fans thought Patrick would score a save from Blake, especially since the talented young singer had a focus on Blake’s country music and has much more stage presence than the ever-shy Xenia.

But not everybody was as surprised about Blake’s pick, especially those close to the show. Social Media Correspondent Alison Haislip explains, “I was shocked but in a way, not shocked because I know Blake thinks of Xenia as his little sister. He really wants to show what she can do.”

Cee Lo‘s contestant Nakia, who sang Kings of Leon‘s “Sex on Fire”, agrees that Blake is “very protective” of Xenia. Nakia even names her as his biggest competition yet! “You haven’t heard anything like her and she’s only 16,” Nakia points out. He also made sure to say, Patrick’s already a “country music star”, a sentiment Curtis Grimes echoed as well.

One contestant who does admit she was surprised? Beverly McLellan, the singer on Team Christina who was saved by America before Frenchie was saved as well. “Patrick [leaving] shocked me, but it’s a competition. It could happen to any of us,” she said matter-of-factly.

Meanwhile, Patrick assured us he’s going to keep working on his solo career and said he’s even spoken to his sister about doing a Lady Antebellum cover in the future. He also mentioned he’d like to work with Carrie Underwood, a singer who he points out has done well with a country/pop crossover.

And as for Xenia — how did she feel when Blake said he’d save her? “It was so relieving, yet I was so shocked. There were so many emotions, I just wanted to run off the stage … screaming,” Xenia admits to HollywoodLife.com. “[Patrick and Jared] are like family, it’s sad to see them go. It’s so hard.”

What did you think of Blake’s decision? Are you glad Xenia stayed or did you think he should have chosen Patrick? Or even Jared? Xenia definitely has pipes and it is supposed to be all about her voice, not how outspoken she is. Is Blake smart to keep her on so he can showcase her a little more while Patrick and Jared launch their careers? And how about Team Christina saving Frenchie and eliminating Raquel Castro and Lily Elise? Thoughts?

And what did you think of the episode as a whole? Team Adam was going strong with Jeff Jenkins and frontrunner Javier Colon and Cee Lo’s Vicci Martinez gave a beautiful rendition of ‘Jolene’. Stay tuned for more interviews and thoughts from tonight’s episode!

Lorena O’Neil

Loading video...

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Tyler

Posted at 11:28 PM on June 21, 2011

Really?!? I was really dissapointed in Blake tonight.I thought that Xenia was going home for sure. i was surprised that she made it that far because she seriously can’t sing! I mean yes she has a unique voice, and you can have a unique voice but that doesn’t mean that you can sing. i think you guys are getting confused, this is a singing competition, who can sing the best. she wont stand a chance up aganist the people competing with her. blake let a lot of people go that could have, possibly won but then again it really doesnt matter who he picks cause his team will never win, its between vicky,javier,frenchie,and beverly, in all honesty. the real reason why blake chose her because he wants to be the one who says ” i made that girl” even though she will never get anywhere. Personally and i think i would speak for most people, i would never go see xenia at a concert, she cant sing, cant get up on stay without looking like shes confused and doesnt know where she is, i mean c’mon be honest with yourselfs.

Paul

Posted at 9:08 PM on June 21, 2011

UNIQUE VOICES……..Jared and Patrick are dime a dozen voices…. Listen to the other teams…..the singers sound like simple copy cats of other artists on the market. New talent is needed….NOT karaoke singers.
XENIA AND Dia are unique!!!!

Annia

Posted at 8:42 PM on June 21, 2011

Xenia has a unique voice, whereas Patrick oversung his song, uh, he sang as if his tonge was swelled up all of the sudden. I would rater listen to my dog howling along with the siren than to listen to him. There are much more talented country singers out there, than Patrick Thomas, case in point, Ty Herndon, Skip Ewing,Steve Warriner, Ronnie Dunn, Mark Chestnut, Keith Urban,a 20 something guy named Hunter Hayes, and ah-hem, Blake Shelton. The other country singer guy on the show, well, he’s pretty bad, too. Just because a guy is wearing a cowboy hat, doesn’t make him a good singer. I think Blake made the right choice to saved Xenia. I would, too.

NONE

Posted at 3:12 PM on June 21, 2011

I think Blake wanted Patrick and Xenia for his finalist! after Dia won he wasn’t going to just let Xenia go like that. I like Dia, but I think he wanted Patrick and Xenia and not Dia!

Anna

Posted at 2:02 PM on June 20, 2011

She is terrible! Patrick had talent, I mean really!! She is so awkward on stage and she can’t sing, she totally ruined pricetag whereas Patricks I hop you dance for his sister was so adorable!

hank

Posted at 8:44 PM on June 19, 2011

I admire Blake and think he’s a sweetie, but The Voice touted itself as being different from Idol because all of the contestants were strong from the get-go. So The Voice should be someone who really is based on where their vocals are now, not 5 years down the road. Patrick is awesome, but Xenia is nowhere near there yet. Put her up against Nakia and Vicci and it could be a slaughter.

George Ghadanian

Posted at 12:42 PM on June 19, 2011

Personally I’m addicted to this lovely young lades voice. Blake may be protective of her, but hell I’ve only seen the girl on TV and I would be too. Dia’s performance was wonderful and creative but i didn’t tune in to hear her sing. I wanted to see the girl with an amazing unique voice, thats shy and laking any ego. Everyone that was on that stage was talented, but it all comes down to who people want hear and see. I keep watching the show to hear sing another son. If she doesn’t make it after the next round I really don’t think I’d watch anymore and I bet a lot Xenia’s fans would do the same. The girl is no slouch on the talent front, and truly deserves to be there. I know I’m going to buy whatever she puts out when she’s done with the show.

Jose

Posted at 10:33 PM on June 18, 2011

Blake said: “Dia and Xenia feed off each other. They are a team”.

In my Opinion, Blake knows that Dia is the strongest member of his team (we all know it), and he knows that she will be more confortable having Xenia around instead of Jared or Patrick.

By choosing Xenia, Blake is putting all his money on Dia. He’ll do anything to enpower Dia, even sacrifice the second best: Patrick. Like a chess move: sacrifice a bishop to give the queen some advantage!

And it’s already working, you can see how happy Dia was when Xenia was saved, she hugged her and looked happy for the first time on the show.

Blake showed us that he’s smart and that he really wants to win this thing.

Hooligan

Posted at 5:58 PM on June 18, 2011

By picking Xenia, Blake picked the same type of performer as Dia. One with a unique voice, shy personality. He needed to diversify his team. Patrick has a voice, more personality and would have been a better choice.

michael

Posted at 11:55 AM on June 17, 2011

I think blake wanted either xenia or patrick to win the vote and he would pick the other. He looked mad when carson said Dia wins the vote.

None

Posted at 3:13 PM on June 21, 2011

Yep!

Tom

Posted at 8:36 AM on June 17, 2011

Xenia has a unique voice, she’s adorable and the reactions of her little sister this season has been priceless. I have really enjoyed watching her. Having said that, she would have a difficult time winning the lead in her high school musical. She’s way out of her league and so many stronger performers than her have been sent home.

hronay@mac.com

Posted at 4:02 PM on June 22, 2011

oh really? Maybe if the show was called “The Performer” you’d be right. But i think it’s called ‘The Voice” AND Xenia is the only one on this damn show worth listening to.

Aub

Posted at 7:16 AM on June 17, 2011

Jim whoever you are you need to be ashamed of yourself. That was a gross comment. Should not have even been posted. Xenia has a tremendous voice. Yes, the vote likely came from his heart, but yes she was so worth it. Blake made the correct choice and I will always admire him for doing so. As for yourself, check out the definition of a loser in the dictionary.

Katya

Posted at 10:58 PM on June 16, 2011

I was really hoping Jared would be the 1 saved cuz he was very good. Xenia has a nice voice to start with but I would have chosen Patrick or Jared instead. I mean it is like the semi finals. For each team y the heck wouldn’t u chose the person with the best voice..not the “unique” one. I dnt think Xenia is going to win against Dia…TEAM ADAM all the way!!!

CJK

Posted at 10:42 PM on June 16, 2011

Wow Blake has no idea on the huge mistake he made -trust me Xenia will be gone within the next week. He might be able to change her, but she has no chance in making it to the next level.

Wayne Humbyrd

Posted at 10:18 AM on June 16, 2011

I am a jazz musician. Blake made right choice. Xenia has a voice that is unlike anything out there. His challenge will be finding the right songs that will showcase that voice. Patrick and Jared are a dime a dozen. Xenia has something very special. Remains to be seen if Blake Shelton is the guy who knows what to really do with it, but he absolutely made the right call.

laura

Posted at 4:46 AM on June 16, 2011

The show is called “The Voice.”

As for Blake’s decision, he made the right call. Dia performed the best of his team and of the three remaining, Xenia has the best voice, hands down. The show isn’t called “The Performer.” Jared and the country guy are better performers, but she has the more original sound. She makes them sound generic. I was very glad to see Blake make the right choice. I was suprised… but he was right. She has a refreshing sound the others don’t.

catherine

Posted at 10:26 PM on June 15, 2011

I was hoping Blake would choose Xenia. I think it was the right decision, because although Patrick and jared are VERY TALENTED they have a rather generic sound, typical of the genres they represent. Xenia is timid, and young but she has a very unique sound so I think it was the right decision. .

rene

Posted at 8:28 PM on June 15, 2011

Try to remember what Jared or Patrick sound like, you can’t can you? I have so much respect for Blake Shelton who chose the best singer, Xenia is a total breath of fresh air.

Grace S

Posted at 4:44 PM on June 15, 2011

I also agree that Blake made the right choice. Xenia has been my favorite since the beginning. She has a very unique voice that can’t be copied. Yes, Jared and Patrick are better “performers” but remember that the competition is called “The Voice.” Stage presence can we worked on and improved. Patrick is a great country singer, but country is a very limited genre. Patrick can’t do much outside of that. Jared is a rocker, and as someone else said, they don’t do well in these competitions as it is also very limiting. Blake can teach Xenia so much and I see her going far! Great choice!

Cherri

Posted at 11:35 PM on June 15, 2011

Xenia will be gone in a week from now

kate

Posted at 11:44 PM on June 15, 2011

You’ll be mad in a week from now when Xenia doesnt leave.

Beverly

Posted at 3:52 PM on June 15, 2011

Xenia is absolutely the right choice. Right now Blake has the two singers with the most memorable voices. The only thing missing with Xenia is stage presence. Dia and Xenia were #1 and #2 in voting results. Since America’s doing the voting, Blake made the right choice.

Jessica

Posted at 3:12 PM on June 15, 2011

She looked so pretty yesterday on the voice…but the poor thing just doesn’t have THE VOICE…Team Beverly all the WAY!

Anna

Posted at 2:12 PM on June 20, 2011

Beverley stinks just like xenia and have u seen what Beverley wears??? Blech…. I’m just sayin!

sol

Posted at 11:22 AM on June 15, 2011

I think Blake made the right choice. Xenia has this Nora Jones quality about her voice. She needs to pick the right songs that reflect her voice, not like last week, where she was flapping her arms left to right.

Boomkin

Posted at 11:01 AM on June 15, 2011

I think he made the right choice. I love Xenia’s voice and with a little more polish that Blake can give her I believe Xenia will be a HUGE recording star!

Dave

Posted at 9:51 AM on June 15, 2011

Jared should’ve been the pick! Rockers never seem to do well on these reality competitions, or at least not as well as going all the way. Chris Daughtry was eliminated way too soon on that other show, and Bo Bice may have actually won it had he not been up against the strongest Idol singer in the show’s history. But those are the only two rockers that have gone very far in their respective seasons. Hoping that Jared somehow finally makes it in the business! Even Patrick would’ve been a stronger choice than Xenia!

Kim

Posted at 2:10 PM on June 15, 2011

I count David Cook at a super talent and success. I was so hoping that Jared would make it as well. he’s one of the few people on the show that I would actually buy an album from

Wayne

Posted at 10:20 AM on June 16, 2011

David who?

Ben

Posted at 8:55 AM on June 15, 2011

I am totally disgusted with Blake’s choice. Jared or Patrick would have been the right choice. The show isn’t called “the coach” it is “the Voice”. Xenia doesn’t have the voice to carry this competition. I am so sick over what happened last night! Someone’s career could have gotten started but Blake allowed his emotions to rule, not reason!

Amy

Posted at 7:52 PM on June 15, 2011

Winning the Voice isn’t the only way to launch a career. Each of the singers on this show have been given the chance to be seen and other things will open up for them.

Jim

Posted at 9:15 PM on June 15, 2011

That was the worst decision saving xenia blake is definitely a child molester

C Smith

Posted at 10:05 PM on June 15, 2011

That is just disgusting. He made the right choice, she will get better and better and her voice is great and she was no. 2 and Dia was no. 1 on ITunes sales for The Voice. Today, however Javier is catching up as he was almost in ITunes top 10 today.

Lorena O'Neil

Posted at 7:43 PM on June 17, 2011

Completely disagree Jim! Don’t rag on my man Blake, he’s great and always has a plan. Plus he’s been retweeting Elenowen and helping them with their career. This isn’t the end of his help for Patrick or Jared.

tnsmoke

Posted at 7:51 PM on June 18, 2011

I agree. Blake is constantly tweeting with all of his team members, even the one who left weeks ago. They all seem to adore him and he will still do whatever he can to support them. He posted an adorable picture posing with Xenia’s little sister, the one who was crying.

C.J.

Posted at 11:57 AM on June 18, 2011

That sick, unthoughtful, pathetic, immature, disgusting comment will be back to haunt this jim psycho…geezzz get a life and learn the business as Blake completely made the right choice based on the music industry and Xenia’s unique voice. She is amazing at 16 and anyone with half a brain can see a great future in her ability to grow….Duhhhh

Cherri

Posted at 11:39 PM on June 15, 2011

I Agree, Blake forgot what the purpose of the show is….not his favorite singe r that feels like a sister to him….but the Voice. He will remember this one day when he sees Patrick accepting a CMA award.

CM

Posted at 4:58 AM on June 18, 2011

Patrick may be cute, but doesn’t have reliable enough pitch or control to ever end up w/a CMA award…. Use your ears, folks. Jared solid performer, yes (and true that rockers aren’t always favorites on these shows), but I agree that Xenia’s voice more interesting (though doubt she’ll beat Beverly or Javier).

Anna

Posted at 2:15 PM on June 20, 2011

I totally agree you are so right! Go Patrick!!!

Annia

Posted at 8:49 PM on June 21, 2011

Oh, just take two aspirins and call your doctor in the morning. It’s just a show, for peace’s sake!!!

hronay@mac.com

Posted at 4:03 PM on June 22, 2011

what show have you been “listening” to? Xenia’s voice puts all the other copy cats to shame