Penn Badgley Lands Jeff Buckley Biopic Film And Robert Pattinson Is Devastated He Didn't Get The Part!

Wed, June 15, 2011 1:38pm EDT by 72 Comments

‘Gossip Girl’ star Penn Badgley beats out Robert Pattinson and James Franco for the lead role in the much-desired Jeff Buckley biopic movie! A source tells all to HollywoodLife.com

Poor Robert Pattinson! The actor was working hard to score the role of Jeff Buckley, the famous musician who died young at age 30, in a biopic movie about his life. Gossip Girl star Penn Badgley snagged the part instead, a source exclusively tells HollywoodLife.com. “Robert Pattinson is devastated he’s lost out on the one role he really wanted,” says our insider. “It was down to Rob, James Franco and Penn for the part, and Rob was really pushing himself to get it.”

Our source continues, “Rob hasn’t heard ‘no’ a lot lately, so he’s really bummed. He was passionate about this project.” Things were looking good for Rob, who was reportedly “obsessed” with landing the lead. Jeff Buckley’s mother and executive producer of the movie Mary Guibert, 62, even weighed in, saying “Robert is a fine young actor. I’m flattered he’s been linked to this project. When the time comes we’ll give everybody an opportunity to be seen and heard.” Producer Michelle Sy confirmed Rob was “keen” on the part as well, and also revealed they are looking for someone who can “play music and sing”.

Although Rob is disappointed he didn’t get the role, Penn is over the moon. “Penn is thrilled to get this role and thinks it’s the film of a lifetime,” our insider confesses. “He’s been trying to push out of the ‘Gossip Girl’ image and knows this film will be the perfect opportunity to do so.” Congrats Penn!

Jake Scott is set to direct and Ryan Jaffe is writing the script for the highly anticipated movie.

UPDATE: The LA Times spoke with Orian Williams, one of the co-producers of the film, who said Penn hasn’t landed the role at this time. “Penn is not involved in the film at all,” Williams said in a phone interview. “It’s crazy how these stories get out.” HollywoodLife.com‘s source is still standing by the story — but we’ll keep you updated with the inside scoop of what’s going on!

UPDATE #2: There are two Jeff Buckley movies! Sorry for the confusion. Please read our explanation and full update here.

Watch the video below of Penn singing and tell us — do you think he’ll do a great job playing Jeff Buckley? Or would you prefer Robert Pattinson?

Reporting by Kirstin Benson

Loading video...

More on Rob and Penn here:

1. Penn and Blake Back Together? Coachella Hand Holding!
  2. Will Blake and Leo Last Longer than Blake and Penn?
  3. Rob Discusses His Ideal Wedding

jeen

Posted at 7:46 PM on June 17, 2011

Kirstin, I hope you’re not slithering away from what was originally falsely written by HL. This site was the the first who wrote this FALSE article and you should be ashame of yourselves. You misled your readers, young and old alike! You have no hint at all of what journalism is all about! Do you ever care?

“Penn has not landed the role at this time”

You were implying that he auditioned and have considered, where in fact the co-producer of the film has denied his involvement and was not even considered for the role.

William’s ” Pen wasn’t involve at all.” is a clear indication that his name has NEVER entered the producer’s and the casting director’s mind. Now, the fact that this made and no source article (as you’ve been doing for a long time) has originated from you, what were the objectives involved? Do they even worth it? Did anyone advise you that to get majority is to play respectful first?respect and be gets respect!

Geek Love

Posted at 6:24 PM on June 17, 2011

Don’t know if this story is true, but I hope Rob doesn’t get it. Sorry, but he’s not that good an actor, IMO. I know the Twihards are adamant that he’s the best thing ever, but, er, he isn’t. I don’t think James Franco should get it, either. Penn? I don’t know. I haven’t seen him in enough. I’ve seen the other two in several movies, so I have opinions about them. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

a person

Posted at 6:01 PM on June 17, 2011

UHMMM @hollywood life When I voted for Rob 4 times his number is going down, why is that? My reason is because when i vote for Rob 4 times in a row his number goes up NOT down. Well that is what i am use too anyway. Then when I vote for Penn Penn’s number stills goes up.

Rob Weiner

Posted at 2:27 PM on June 17, 2011

The LA Times spoke with Orian Williams, one of the co-producers of the film, who said Penn hasn’t landed the role at this time. “Penn is not involved in the film at all,” Williams said in a phone interview. “It’s CRAZY how these stories get out.”

Kirstin Benson, they are talking about you…..

how do you guys do it?

Posted at 9:54 PM on June 16, 2011

where do you come up with this stuff? the co-producer of the Jeff Buckley biopic stated plainly today they’ve NEVER seen Penn for the part and it’s open casting still. And, they would most likely go with an unknown. This website is nuts. I guess since this is a gossip site you’re free to project any notion about any subject anytime and get away with it.

Readers please stop buying in to this nonsense. If you’re interested in what Rob or Kristen are doing go the fan websites or twitter.

mayra

Posted at 6:42 PM on June 16, 2011

100% agree with you Cami, but anyway I think Robert would have been too much better than penn,
ROBERT IS THE BEST BY FAR.

Halo

Posted at 6:40 PM on June 16, 2011

it should be James Franco!

Al

Posted at 3:17 PM on June 16, 2011

good for Penn, Pattinson is so overrated!

Erin

Posted at 1:44 PM on June 16, 2011

I am closely involved with the production team of the Official Jeff Buckley film that’s in development, and can say with all certainty that Penn Badgley has NOT been cast in the film – nor is Robert Pattinson being considered. They are still conducting a casting search. This is nothing more than a rumor that has been spread, based on bad information. FACT.

Cami

Posted at 1:55 PM on June 16, 2011

Rob would be so much better than Penn, but I hope he doesn’t do it. I don’t think it would be good for his career. From what I’ve read, the script is—well should I just say, not very good.

Sallie

Posted at 10:40 AM on June 16, 2011

Leave Penn alone!

Rodica

Posted at 9:15 AM on June 16, 2011

Rob you are very frost in love…..

jamie woods

Posted at 5:08 AM on June 16, 2011

robert patterson would be better than him in any role ever………….

Kay

Posted at 2:01 AM on June 16, 2011

The only reason Rob would not do this movie is if he turned it down. Until I hear from a credible source not buying this story.

jdoe

Posted at 7:10 AM on June 16, 2011

You need to go back to April 11th when it was announced that the movie was a go. Read the blogs and the comments surrounding the controvery over casting.
Why is it so hard for people to believe that Pattinson lost out on a role?
HL actually got this one right, Rob wanted the part but Buckley fans went ape s–t because they are not Pattinson fans and know him only as the vampire or the teen heart throb.
Too bad for them, cause he would have nailed it!

camila

Posted at 1:12 AM on June 16, 2011

I am so sad for rob but I know that he will get other great role!!!!! but I don’t know penn bradley is he perfect for the role????? I don’t know but I won’t watch this movie

anita

Posted at 12:34 AM on June 16, 2011

Jake Scott is only a son of famous director and not even good director himself. I lost interest in this project since I heard he was on board. Good luck on Penn. I’m not his fan. In fact I’m annoyed his acting but I’ve seen him playing piano and he is indeed musical person. I think this film needed someone not so famous like Rob. He’s too Rob Pattinson for playing Jeff.

bren

Posted at 12:32 AM on June 16, 2011

by the way, how is penn badgely qualified for the buckley role?? is he famous for playing the guitar and for singing? or is he just well known for his role in gossip??? pattinson and franco are famous for good reason. maybe this is just a little movie and thats it.

kaye

Posted at 12:30 AM on June 16, 2011

im quite disappointed about this :(
james franco cant sing im routing for rob even tho i like james but rob blows me away when he sang

bren

Posted at 12:21 AM on June 16, 2011

I heard that the producers believed that a lot of people would see the movie just to see rob. I guess that might be true. I would have gone to the movie to see rob do justice to the role and I also would have wanted to know more about buckley and buy his music but thats not what buckley’s mother wants. she prefers a more low key response. like she will certainly get with badgley. there would have been too much publicity about the buckley movie if rob was in it, too much eagerness to see it. well rob may be disappointed, but I doubt that he is devastated. I’m sure he will have much better projects to pick and choose from down the road.

ShariG

Posted at 11:18 PM on June 15, 2011

I am really disappointed. Rob Pattinson would have been my first choice and James Franco second. This is really a missed opportunity.

Debbie

Posted at 6:26 PM on June 15, 2011

I’m mad that the poll above only included Rob and Penn. James Franco was the obvious choice for this role.

All I can say is that Badgley better bring it! I’m all for him getting the chance to break out of Dan Humphrey mode, but Buckley fans have waited a long time for this biopic, so he better not screw up what Franco would have done so well.

elaine parkinson

Posted at 6:12 PM on June 15, 2011

Im sure that Rob would only have considered playing this role because he respects and loves Jeff Buckleys Music very much ..and he has already stated himself that he wished he could sing and play the guitar like Jeff and so I cant really see him being too upset he has,nt got the Part…. Maybe he will be relieved that someone else will have the pressure of this role thrust upon them …….Robs career will do just fine without him playing this role though ..he will move on to the next project without any problems im sure …he has lots of Loyal fans to support him no matter what role he decides on next …as for Robs musical talent ..i love his voice and his guitar playing and personally feel he has a very unique ,soulful style all of his own and does not need to copy any one else… so as far as im concerned Rob is one of a kind ..a very nice down to earth person who deserves the nicest things to happen to him …oh and I am a huge fan of Gossip Girl and love Penn Bagley ..so well Done to him !!!

what

Posted at 6:12 PM on June 15, 2011

rob has stated a lot would depend on the script of the movie. word is the script isnt that amazing. geesh, hollywood life stop with your bs drama already.

ty

Posted at 5:38 PM on June 15, 2011

real jeff fans dont want rob to play him and jeffs own mum dont want him get over it theres more than robert pattinson in this world some are alot talanted then rob shock there is other actors beside rob

jdoe

Posted at 5:38 PM on June 15, 2011

I was always hoping Pattinson would take the Cobain role, but I think he was holding out for the Buckley part. It’s a shame, he is such a big fan of Jeff’s music.
Oh well, we must remember that no-one wanted him to play Edward Cullen in the beginning————and every one needs their big break so good luck Penn!

jamie

Posted at 5:38 PM on June 15, 2011

lol at this article acting like he beat out Franco or Pattinson for the role. Have people looked up the screenwriter or director for this? This is a total C-list project. There’s no way Franco or Pattinson would’ve ever signed on for it. They’re just using their names to bring attention to a project that will never make it to wide release.

jdoe

Posted at 5:42 PM on June 15, 2011

You don’t know what you are talking about.
Pattinson has discussed his hopes for this part in interviews. You should know what your facts before you comment.

catty

Posted at 6:03 PM on June 15, 2011

yeah but that was long before the director was hired or the script was written…do u really think he will take up this project after wfe success and working with david cronerberg.

smh

Posted at 3:09 AM on June 16, 2011

Rob only discussed this project when he was asked about it. He never said he wanted to play the role. In fact, Rob said he admires Jeff but he was doubtful he was the right person for the project. With this attitude I doubt he even tried to get the role. Producers are simply using Rob’s name to get free publicity. Also, Penn beating Franco? Give me a break. Like that would really happen. If anything, I’d rather believe that neither Franco or Rob wanted to be in the movie. HL as usual full of BS. Try better next time HL and stop creating gossip. It’s getting old and you look stupid every single time.

jdoe

Posted at 6:00 AM on June 16, 2011

Rob saying he couldn’t sing or play like Buckley was just him being his ever so humble self…that’s it.
It is documented that he met with Jake Scott and Jeff’s mother to discuss the role.
There was an uproar by Buckley fans on the internet saying “Anyone but Pattinson, Please!
I beleive Buckley’s mom had the final say in casting and decided to please or at least not piss Jeff’s fans off.
I also beleive Pattinson coveted this part.

Debbie

Posted at 6:19 PM on June 15, 2011

Um, right. This is the same guy who took on Twilight, which is a C-grade movie despite the popularity of the C-grade book series.

James Franco would take it on because he does both big and small projects and Jeff Buckley is a great role.

sally

Posted at 6:40 PM on June 15, 2011

he was nobody before twilight and he needed a break, he took up twilight bc he wanted to do ANY american movie,twilight is his first american movie…now he has sooo many choices.leave rob…Do u really think this penn guy can beat oscar nominee james franco????definately not.

ShariG

Posted at 11:21 PM on June 15, 2011

You can’t really compare Rob Pattinson’s choices now with pre Twilight. I think he’ll be disappointed not to have gotten this part, but it may be a crummy script. I haven’t heard him say anything one way or the other just a lot of speculation.

bren