After all the evidence we’ve seen against Casey Anthony, this doesn’t come as a surprise — now it’s her defense team’s turn!
Casey Anthony‘s trial continued today and Judge Belvin Perry did NOT grant the accused mother an acquittal. The judge said the state had presented “substantial, competent evidence for this jury,” which means that the trial continues when the defense attorney present their case tomorrow, Jun. 16. Much like her demeanor throughout the rest of the trial, Casey showed no reaction.
Defense attorney Cheney Mason claimed that the prosecutors failed to prove that a murder had even taken place, premeditated or otherwise, and that there is only proof of one thing: “the child is dead.” Photos of 2-year-old Caylee’s remains, including a duct-taped skull were shown to the court room last week.
“There has been a stacking of inferences. A stacking of speculation. No evidence. . . There is no evidence to suggest when she died, where she died, how she died, who if anyone was in attendance with her when she died,” said Cheney. However, there are still many people convinced of Casey’s guilt at this point in the trail, and they want to see her brought to justice.
Assistant State Attorney Linda Drane Burdick responded, “It is our position that a reasonable jury can conclude that Caylee Marie Anthony died as a result of three pieces of duct tape applied to her nose and mouth, as a result of poisoning by chloroform [and] as a result of a combination of the two.”
The next half of the trial is going to be intense — can Casey possibly convince the jury that she told countless lies and covered up her daughter’s death all because her father allegedly molested her as a child? What do you guys think of her acquittal being denied? What are her chances going forward?