Baby Josie Duggar Rushed To The Hospital! OMG!

Wed, June 15, 2011 9:27am EDT by 40 Comments

On last night’s episode of 19 Kids and Counting, Jim Bob and Michelle had the scare of a lifetime when baby Josie was rushed to the hospital while they were out of the country!

Miracle baby Josie Duggar, who was born three months early in December 2009, has struggled to survive over the past year. And on the June 14 episode of 19 Kids and Counting, the thought-to-be thriving Josie gave the entire Duggar family a BIG scare. “Josie spiked a high temperature,” Jim Bob said.  “She had a seizure and it lasted for a long time.” Oh no!

Since Jim Bob and his wife Michelle were in El Salvador at the time, sister Jill had to take little Josie to the ER. “There is nothing to do and we feel totally helpless,” Jim Bob said., with Michelle adding, “I was shocked and I was in tears.”

Michelle prayed over the phone, “Father, we ask that you would give doctors wisdom to find a cure for little Josie.”

Check out this clip of the Duggar’s frightening experience!

–Scott Galina

19 Kids and Counting airs Tuesdays at 9pm on TLC.

More Duggar on HollyBaby:

1. Miracle Baby Josie Duggar Thriving One Year Later! Watch Video!
  2. The Duggar Kids Will Battle Mom & Dad In The Kiddie Department — They All Want Huge Families Of Their Own!
  3. Josh & Anna Duggar: ‘We’re Going To Have 25 Kids!’ Um, Seriously?

Crystal Kleist Lea

Posted at 2:25 AM on April 5, 2013

I WELL BE PRAYERING FOR HER SHE WELL GET BETTER SOON

Poetry

Posted at 11:59 AM on May 1, 2012

I am now not sure where you’re getting your info, however great topic. I needs to spend a while studying more or figuring out more. Thank you for great information I was on the lookout for this info for my mission.

razor electric scooter reviews

Posted at 9:32 AM on March 31, 2012

I will immediately seize your rss as I can’t find your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me recognize in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

KitMit

Posted at 7:26 PM on December 13, 2011

Josie is awesome and I hope she is doing awesome and I hope and wish good luck to them in the future.

New Christian

Posted at 5:50 PM on October 22, 2011

Hello I wish people would realize that having big families does not make you good parents nor TV stars. I wish and pray that they would spend more time thinking of the children. When the first quintuplets were born the government raised them and they were treated just like a side show. These kids being on TV all the time are the same. What a shame……

paula

Posted at 1:44 PM on November 8, 2011

I agree with all of the comments about the parents not taking responsibility for their youngest child by going off to a foreign country. To think of an 18 month old having a high fever and also a seizure is something not to be taken lightly. Now that Josie will be two years old next month I am wondering if she is developing the way two year olds should. When this show started with “17 Kids and Counting” I thought it was interesting to see a large family taking care of each other. However, it looks to me like the older children are doing most of the taking care and the mom spends a lot of her time lately getting her bed rest which, of course, is normal in most pregnancies. My bet is she will be needing to do that more because of her age and the strain of a 20th pregnancy. Jim Bob said because Michelle had had a miscarriage one time they quit using birth control at all. It’s sad to think that as long as this family is getting attention – hey they made sure they showed up on the network program with their news – they will keep in the public eye. Jim Bob makes good money from his property and investments I’ve heard but there’s a lot being paid to the whole family by the show’s sponsors.

Lissa

Posted at 3:35 PM on September 10, 2011

Yes, she’s a high-risk child because of the circumstances surrounding her birth. However, she was doing well and thriving at around 18 months old. She had a seizure brought on by a fever. Something like that could have just as easily happened to Jordyn or Jennifer or any one of their children. Sometimes, kids get sudden fevers- and even normally healthy kids. This time, it just HAPPENED to occur with Josie.

marge

Posted at 5:07 PM on September 10, 2011

Yes children get sick, but Josie is a high risk infant with an extensive medical history. Such a child should NOT be left in the care of a sibling barely out of her teens, no matter how much she is “thriving”. What a terrifying experience for Jill as well. Infants like Josie are at greater risk for illness than are full term babies. At least one parent should have stayed home. Josie is the responsibility of her parents, not her older sibling. Its one thing for mom and dad to leave Josie with Jill to take a trip into town for dinner and a show, quite another to leave the country altogether.
They demonstrated appallingly poor judgment and I am repulsed by their snivelling about their “helplessness”.

marge

Posted at 9:35 AM on September 10, 2011

Judgmental? As a medical professional I am appalled at the Duggars leaving a high risk infant in the care of a sibling barely out of her teens while they leave the country! Obviously this was very poor judgment, just look at what happened. What a terrifying situation for the sibling responsible for her care.
Patient, caring parents? Sure, because she foists her toddlers onto older siblings to care for while she enjoys her pregnancies and newborns, not to mention the attention and adulation it brings her from an adoring media and fan base.
The Duggars have to realize that Josie is not an infant that can be foisted off on an older sibling, as the others have been, so mom and dad can leave the country. I don’t give a damn what their “reason” for going to El Salvador was. Their first and foremost responsiblity is Josie and her special needs.
I’m very much with the “judgmental” people on this board.

Snuffaluffagus

Posted at 9:42 PM on August 25, 2011

Poor little josie i hope shes feeling better

NM

Posted at 11:41 PM on August 22, 2011

WOW-a lot of judgemental people on this post. Unless you live with the family 24/7 and know their every move, judge not!

amana

Posted at 3:10 PM on June 26, 2011

OMG!!I cant believe that this happened. Michelle will never want to go on vacation again!

Peter

Posted at 9:40 AM on July 12, 2011

She probably won’t leave the house. We should pray for the baby’s safety and recovery. Jim Bob Duggar…hang in there man.

colleen

Posted at 7:31 AM on June 18, 2011

Again, the Duggars do not ask for anything nor are they on government assistance. They make their money in a variety of ways, (both Michelle and JimBob are licensed realtors, they own commercial property they rent out, they have written two books and they have a reality show). There is nothing wrong with any of those things and they are providing for their family. To some of you who are critical, why are you critical, nothing of what they are doing affects anyone else. You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye (Matthew 7:5). Go Duggars!

KrishnaReddy.

Posted at 3:36 PM on June 16, 2011

I watch the Duggar’s every episode on TV,
I’d say they should do what they plan to do.
On Tues. 6-14-11 I saw the one where they took
little Josie to hospital by knowing what they
post to do in that case by calling 911, and I wish
them all best in the future. P.S. I am also very
happy to hear that you’ll be having your second grand-
child. again I wish you all the best, mainly little Josie
going to A aunt. KEEP IT UP DUGGARS!

a person with an OPINION

Posted at 10:33 AM on June 16, 2011

I think it would be really irresponsible if she were to get pregnant again. I mean the baby was born premature and she almost didn’t make it. So what would make them think that if they were to have another kid he/she would come out okay? I know they follow the bible or w/e about their kids but I didn’t think that it meant that having kids that were born with problems and making them suffer was ok too. Josie has been struggling since she was a baby, just because they follow some religion doesn’t mean the children should suffer the repercussions of their parents actions, it’s not fair to the child. Also, I know they do mission trips but AT LEAST one of them should have stayed home with Josie, I mean last time I checked THEY were the parents, not their kids.

alison

Posted at 8:32 PM on April 24, 2012

I work with children who have severe needs and yes parents need breaks, as long as the older children understand Joises health problems.
Who are we to stop them from going to El Salvador. I would welcome anyone to work a day with a child that could have significant learning problems .

Edie

Posted at 10:18 AM on June 16, 2011

I was reading some of the comments on the duggers. My question to everyone who has commented is Who are you to judge? In my opinion I think Michelle and JImBob are doing a fantastic job raising their children and I think we as parents could learn something from them. If it is GODs will for them to have more children then I say ” May GOD bless them ALL”

colleen

Posted at 8:43 AM on June 16, 2011

It is not your problem, so stop trying to analyze.

sandy

Posted at 8:30 AM on June 16, 2011

I just don’t get it why would you be out of the state when you have 19 kids and a grandbaby on the way stay home and take care of all your children do not make your older children care for them you had them take care of them your self…….

Colleen

Posted at 8:20 AM on June 16, 2011

Jim Bob and Michelle had gone to El Salvador to meet with the mayor in regards to changing their law on adoption. So many children in El Salvador are in orphanages and it takes six to seven years for the adoption process to be completed. They were not vacationing as some of you have stated. They have alot of children because the Bible states that Children are a heritage of the Lord. They are not on government assistance, nor do they ask anyone for anything, as a matter of fact, they give constantly. All of you who feel the need to judge them need to look in your own backyard before pointing a finger at them.

chrisrose

Posted at 2:53 AM on June 17, 2011

yeah probably the only reason theuy arent on assistance is because they make money to do the show, publicity, etc. She doesnt work, an none of their olderkids work, so how else do they do it?

NM

Posted at 11:41 PM on August 22, 2011

They do it, because have NO debt. Everythhing they purchase is done by cash or debit card!

Grace

Posted at 2:06 AM on September 6, 2011

Even without debt you need a source of income. Just because you have no debt doesn’t mean that you have money? That’s odd logic. So, they obviously get their money to sustain themselves from their reality show and appearances. I think that was the previous poster’s point.

ashley24

Posted at 11:28 PM on June 15, 2011

Some big announcement is going to be on the one of the morning shows tomorrow. I think Michelle is pregnant again….

Corina

Posted at 11:01 PM on June 15, 2011

First of all why are you leaving out of the country when 1. you have so many kids 2.many of the kids are still babies 3. little josie was born premature and still not out of the woods like seriously what is up with that…i have a daughter who is 2 years old and i have not spent an entire weekend without her because i feel she is too young…if i were them i wouldve gotten on plane as soon as i found out that my daughter was rushed to the hospital or as soon as i found out that she was sick at home..it just made me VERY upset watching this it just goes to show you that it doesnt matter if you have one child or 19 you still make DUMB choices as parents regardless of how much experience you have…all i had to say when that part came out was WOW!!!!…very upset with the duggar parents

NM

Posted at 11:40 PM on August 22, 2011

Because they were on a mission there, HELPING other people, less fortunate!

Grace

Posted at 2:04 AM on September 6, 2011

Helping other people is wonderful and admirable, but it is questionable to choose to do so in such a far away place when you have a sick infant. Why not help people locally until your child is older and more stable?

AARKIEAM FIELDS

Posted at 10:36 PM on June 15, 2011

Wish the baby the best but enough babaies already they are grandparents now knock it off

Hayleys momma

Posted at 10:18 PM on June 15, 2011

I commend the Duggars. They were and are not ashamed to tell their story. They have many ways of raising their children I agree with. Not everyone has to agree with their Christian ways. They are not forcing you to believe what they do. If you get so sick at watching them then turn the channel. If they want that many children then thats them. Your not the one paying their bills, you dont have to live with them do you?

Anita

Posted at 4:37 PM on June 15, 2011

She/they need to STOP having kids at this point! Like seriously, I really dislike when people take the bible to be so literal, when indeed it’s not! Please stop, for the sake of you and your family.

Heather

Posted at 8:00 PM on July 14, 2011

You hate it when people take the Bible literally???? You mean the part where it says not to judge? Oh I know… you mean the part where it says everyone has free will, or maybe you’re talking about the part where it says to love your neighbor as yourself? That’s the wonderful thing about the Bible… If you read it then you realize that if you follow some of the rules you really are a hypocrite, you have to follow all of them or none of them. (BTW- I know you were talking about the “be fruitful and multiply” bit but don’t single out one verse, the Bible is full of good rules, most importantly do NOT judge, lest you be judged. That one gives me chills!

carrie

Posted at 4:30 PM on June 15, 2011

Why don’t Jim Bob and Michelle find some other sport instead of having soooooo many kids. When you have a child one right after the other eventually something will happen. I feel sorry for all those kids. I just hope Josie makes it
without any complications. They have to do a reality show to
take care of all those kids. I think they all need counseling. Their kids are starting to take after them having a lot of kids too.

emily

Posted at 11:55 AM on June 15, 2011

y where they in el savadore they hav e so many kids to take care no time for vacation

danielle

Posted at 1:20 PM on June 15, 2011

i dont think they were on vacation you jackass? im sure they were on a mission trip.

Jenni

Posted at 3:22 PM on June 15, 2011

They have 19 kids they deserve a break anyway

Anita

Posted at 4:48 PM on June 15, 2011

True enough they do have 19 kids, 19 kids that were PLANNED! So, if they get no vacation oh well! Not to sound harsh, but I see more important things that they need to be doing besides vacationing. (And how does anyone know if they were vacationing or on a mission trip or not… YA DON’T!) So. . . *Kanye Shrugs*

grumphis

Posted at 1:44 AM on June 29, 2011

those kids were not planned, they basically just happened.

zeus

Posted at 1:14 AM on June 16, 2011

they’re busy working on making another baby…

NM

Posted at 11:38 PM on August 22, 2011

They go to El Salvador on missions to help the people that live there, NOT for vacations!