Selena Gomez’s Serious Health Issues Explained By Top Doctor!

Mon, June 13, 2011 10:55am EDT by 13 Comments

Poor Selena was rushed to the hospital Thursday and reports of her distressing symptoms include headaches, nausea and blood pressure issues. What could be wrong?

While it’s extremely hard for any doctor but Selena‘s to make a diagnosis, Hollywoodlife.com spoke to top NYC neurologist, Dr. Dexter Sun, at NY Presbyterian Hospital/ Cornell Weill Medical College, about what could possibly be wrong with the 18-year-old.

Based on the reported symptoms, there are three possibilities, says Dr. Sun. “If Selena is suffering from high blood pressure, it could be triggered by persistent stress, but that is unusual but not unheard of in an 18-year-old,” he explains.

Secondly, high blood pressure can be the result of some kind of renal (kidney) problem. There could be an infection or one of many different types of kidney disease, he says.

Third — and this is extremely rare — there could be a tumor in the adrenal gland, he adds.

In any case — “increased blood pressure can cause nausea and headache,” says Dr. Sun. “If it’s really high, doctors will need to reduce it with medication. She needs to be monitored. It would be dangerous to let her participate in activities” like concerts and television appearances. And if the high blood pressure is caused by stress, it won’t be reduced in just a day or two. Changes in her lifestyle will take time to have an effect on her health.

As to why Selena may have spent the entire weekend in the hospital and may be there still, Dr. Sun says that’s exactly what would be the required protocol.

Her doctors would definitely want to keep her in the hospital to observe her and do very detailed blood tests, to determine what is causing the blood pressure issue,” Dr. Sun explained.

As for whether food poisoning could be the cause of Selena’s troubles! Dr. Sun says that food poisoning can both increase or decrease blood pressure.

In any case — everyone at Hollywoodlife.com wishes Selena well and hopefully she’s already on the mend!

— Bonnie Fuller

More Selena!

1. Selena Gomez Says Justin Bieber Met Her Mom—And “He Passed The Test!” Adorable!
  2. Selena Gomez Has A Sleepover With Justin Bieber At His Grandparents’ House!
  3. Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez’s Cute New Kissing Photos In His Hometown!

Carol

Posted at 9:44 PM on January 21, 2012

Get well soon selena will keep u in my prayers

Benwa

Posted at 7:10 AM on June 16, 2011

She looks like she should be out picking beans with the rest of her illegals.

taketwo

Posted at 1:29 PM on September 15, 2011

That was really uncall for you racist pig! I don’t know what race you are but I’m sure you bring shame to your race. It’s very easy to insult someone when no one knows who you are and hiding from behind your computer. You apparently don’t have the balls to say it to her face. Really what has she done to deserve your stupid racist remark. You think you’re better that her. Do you have the balls to tell us who you are? I seriously doubt a racist coward like you would ever do that.This country continues to go to pot because of idiots like you. Not only are you insulting her but her whole race. I can tell you you’ll never be the person she is. Low lives like you don’t deserve to be called Americans.

None Of Your Buisness

Posted at 4:17 PM on June 13, 2011

Oh & to the lovers that support Selena. I agree with you guys! <3

None Of Your Buisness

Posted at 4:14 PM on June 13, 2011

Honestly, I love the fact that you guys are Justin Bieber fans. But when it comes to Justin and Selena being happy together, you guys are just haters of Selena.. which means you guys are haters of Justin.
Real Beliebers(Including me) LOVE Justin and Selena! They’re CUTE TOGETHER.

& Selena, I love you and your voice.. you’re my rolemodle, long with Miley and Demi. I LOVE YOU & PLEASE GET BETTER(:

MixedEmotions

Posted at 1:16 PM on June 13, 2011

Well. I think she’s an alright actress or whatever I mean her show was okay and her movies are just average. Nothing super special.
And in my opinion she can’t sing, unless her voice has been modified through the studio then in music videos she sounds awesome. But I hate her new song BangBangBang. Gets on my nerves. And when she sings live its…like she’s tone deaf. I went to one of her concerts thank you very much so I can say that. Or you can just watch a youtube video of her singing live.
But anyway, hope she gets better soon.

taketwo

Posted at 1:31 PM on September 15, 2011

It’s time to get a hearing aid!

LaurynBieber

Posted at 1:04 PM on June 13, 2011

Okay, well, I honestly LOVE her music, but HATE HER. She is too old for him. She made a song called ‘Bang Bang Bang’ if you haven’t heard it, then look up the lyrics on youtube… It’s pretty nasty considering… Groosssssss, I seriously think no one should be sick like this, but I’m kinda happy :)

JBwife1

Posted at 1:02 PM on June 13, 2011

HAHAHAHAHA thats wat u get you whore! Love you justin!!!!!

JBwife1

Posted at 1:06 PM on June 13, 2011

yeah sorry bout that like LaurynBieber i love-hate her just mad cuz i heard bang bang bang

samy

Posted at 1:00 PM on June 13, 2011

i hope she is ok i mean she have big movie coming out and she is hosting big show next week

Teesha

Posted at 12:29 PM on June 13, 2011

GET WELL SOON, SELENA! WE ALL LOVE YOU! <3

#getwellselena

Posted at 11:28 AM on June 13, 2011

selena I hope your okay I just want you to be okay please please please
be okay I hope your okay :(