Nina Dobrev Says 'Vampire Diaries' Wouldn't Exist Without 'Twilight' — Do YOU Agree?

Sat, June 11, 2011 2:22pm EDT by 27 Comments

Nina is a Twihard just like the rest of us — there’s no competition between the two series!

The Vampire Diaries star Nina Dobrev has announced her love of Twilight — and says that without those movies, her show may not even exist!

Nina, 22, tells MTV News she’s a huge fan of Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart, and is heartbroken as any fan that the Breaking Dawn films will signal the series’ end.

“I think that we’re all really happy for each other,” Nina said. “I’m very happy that they exist because we exist because of them. Their success is our success. I’m kind of sad the movies are almost over.”

What do you think, HollywoodLifers — did the massive cultural impact of Twilight make The Vampire Diaries a hit?

– William Earl

Click For More Sexy Vampires!

Get Your ‘Twilight’ Fix Here!

1. Filming The Wedding Day In ‘Breaking Dawn’ Was An Emotional Day
  2. ‘Twilight’ Director Catherine Hardwicke Can’t Decide If Robert Pattinson Or Taylor Lautner Is A Hotter Kisser!
  3. The ‘Breaking Dawn’ Teaser Trailer Will Debut On June 5!

ruby

Posted at 2:12 AM on September 7, 2011

I think what Nina meant to say is that the Twilight phenomena has opened doors for vampire-themed show to gain recognition. I personally enjoy True Blood best, but I can relate to TVD’s emotional depth, which I appreciate. I think for my baby sister, at her age, Twilight will be most relatable. All these shows are only similar in that they have vampires in it, but the markets are totally different. That way I don’t think it would be wise to put them in comparison.

amee

Posted at 1:29 AM on June 18, 2011

she’s right to some extent. the vampire diaries books were made a long time ago(before twilight and both series are horrible) but the IMO cw made the show because of the success of twilight has gotten. both series are similar to some extent but at least i can watch tvd without wanting to throw up even though the acting on tvd isn’t so great.

Nikta

Posted at 5:02 AM on June 13, 2011

ooooppppsssss……..you`r kiding…

Ajay

Posted at 4:43 PM on June 13, 2011

Vampire Diaries the series is way better than the Twilight films could ever hope to be. I was a huge fan of the Twilight books but HORRIBLE acting has completely desecrated the movies. Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are two of the worst actors I have seen in a looooong time.

I love L.J. Smith and although they changed a lot of the plot(when don’t they), I really fell in love with the emotional depth of the show. And I definitely believe they could have been just as big without the success of Twilight. In fact, I think Twilight made it HARDER for paranormal shows to really make it b/c all the little tweens are so obsessed with that exact storyline.

Nikta

Posted at 5:00 AM on June 13, 2011

you`e kiding…of course Vampire diaries is better than Twilight…

Tika

Posted at 12:16 PM on June 12, 2011

oh I agree with you NODA, The Vampire Diaries are better than Twilight :))) <3 <3

Kimberly

Posted at 9:20 AM on June 12, 2011

it doesnt matter that the books existed before.We have no gurantee they would have been has great a hit.Other vampire movies that are new that theyre making isnt as big.I LOVE BOTH THAT SOMETIMES I HAVE PROBEMS CHOOSING!!Just like i cant choose between Stefan and Damon Most the time.

GERA

Posted at 9:11 AM on June 12, 2011

I DON`T AGREE WITH NINA! THE VAMPIRE DIARIES WOLD EXIST WITHOUT TWILIGHT.AND LISA JAIN SMITH WROTE TVD FIRST.
TVD IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

noda

Posted at 9:11 AM on June 12, 2011

oF COURSE THE VAMPIRE DIARIES are better than Twilight (but i love Twiight 2)

Ellen

Posted at 8:50 AM on June 12, 2011

The Vampire Diaries was invented before Twilight.

ChysaPatz

Posted at 5:51 AM on June 12, 2011

I agree that Twilight gace vampires more popularity and i really like it.But i also like Vampire Diaries!I find Robert Pattinson really atrractive and charming even he is skinny…i think that make him beautiful…he has such an charming voice!i love him!i like kristen and nina both they are really cute!i think that nina like twilight…she is really good friend with ashley greene(alice)and kellan lutz(emmett) and he likes it!To summ up…i like both but a little bit more Twilight!

Ashley

Posted at 1:15 AM on June 12, 2011

That’s cool that she said that without them her show wouldn’t exist but I LOVE Twilight becasue I saw the Vampier Diaries one or two times and had no idea what was happening so I like Twilight better.

Grace

Posted at 10:17 PM on June 12, 2011

reason tvd beats twilight
1. blood and gore
2. fangs
3. sooo much backstory and plot twists in tvd
4. bella is such bad charatar
5. VAMPIRES DONT GLITTER twi vamps are really just bloodthishty fairys

Casey

Posted at 12:17 AM on June 12, 2011

That is stupid, that means nina dosen´t know anything about what she is doing… her series is based in books that existed before the twilight series, so even though twilight didin´t exist those books would still exist and somebody would have done a movie or a tv show about them eventually, one thing that I think is true is that maybe twilight gave some popularity to vampires and stupid love stories which made the public more interested

camila

Posted at 10:55 PM on June 11, 2011

nina only said the true that tv series never will exist without twilight
rob is the best young vampire ever!!!!!!!

caty

Posted at 9:03 PM on June 11, 2011

I saw once vampire diaries and did’t liked, so for me, Twilight and Robert are better by far.

mayra

Posted at 9:01 PM on June 11, 2011

100

100% agree with nina. Twilight is much better and Robert is the most beautiful man on earth

Natalia

Posted at 1:04 AM on June 12, 2011

Um, darlin’ your obviously not literate yet (like most twilight fans) so I’ll help you out. Nina didn’t say anything about twlight being better but good luck in school sweety. Hope puberty goes well, once you go through that you will crush on real men.

rsd

Posted at 3:40 PM on June 11, 2011

Rob is fugly?!! Good God! You just have poor a** taste…

tiffany contreras

Posted at 1:11 AM on June 12, 2011

Me pre pubescent “Twihards” with no life. Go to school and grow up, in 10 years you’ll wonder why you ever liked his bone *ss. Losers, feel free to flame me. I have a life so It doesn’t bother me.

lol

Posted at 2:58 PM on June 11, 2011

Nina is a potterhea not a twihard!she said it!

amanda

Posted at 2:34 PM on June 11, 2011

Bullsh*t. I’ve never seen Twlight and don’t care too. The Vampire Diaries books came out way before Twilight. Robert Pattinson is fugly, the werewolf guy is hott but not nearly as hott as Somerhalder and Trevino. Dobrev is just being the sweetheart, as usual.

becca

Posted at 12:56 AM on June 12, 2011

OMG finally lol, yes I totally agree that Robert Pattinson is fugly! He is to skinny, has no body and is pale and weird. Nina didn’t say twlight was better, she was obviously being kind. Obviously, Twilight is the “cool” thing right now. Reminds me of Hanson, remember them now? It a few years none of you pimple faced, snot nosed brats will remember him. The buff guy is sexy, skinny and pale dude is not.

julie

Posted at 7:54 AM on June 12, 2011

both vampire diaries and twilight are awesome and both ian and robert are hot and different

carmel

Posted at 7:55 AM on June 12, 2011

you can say what ever you want about him but he did won the world’s sexiest man twice did you of course not

lola

Posted at 7:58 AM on June 12, 2011

maybe the vampire diaries exists first but people loved vampires after watching twilight that’s why the vampire diaries has fans understand that’s what nina was talking about

Jenna

Posted at 11:06 AM on June 13, 2011

I ment she is not she was