Russell Crowe Calls Circumcision 'Barbaric'! Do You Agree?

Fri, June 10, 2011 2:30pm EDT by 7 Comments

The ‘Gladiator’ star and dad-of-two stirred up a furious debate on Twitter after posting an angry rant about the practice.

Russell Crowe wants new moms and dads to think twice about circumcising their newborn babies, even on religious grounds. What do you think, HollyMoms?

Russell, 47, tweeted, “Circumcision is barbaric and stupid. Who are you to correct nature? Is it real that GOD requires a donation of foreskin? Babies are perfect.”

I will always stand for the perfection of babies, I will always believe in God, not man’s interpretation of what God requires.”

Circumcision is common practice in the US. It’s also a Jewish religious requirement and carried out by many Muslims.

But the father of Charlie, seven, and Tennyson, four insists there is no good reason to “mutilate” babies.

When Jewish twitter followers challenged Russell, he replied, tweeting at his Jewish director friend Eli Roth: “I love my Jewish friends, I love the apples and the honey and the funny little hats but stop cutting your babies.”

The comment stirred up more outrage, and Russell’s tweet rant was reported as being anti-Semitic in several news reports. Roth even pretended to be offended — before insisting the exchange was a joke and accusing reporters of  “terrifying stars into not saying any jokes on twitter.”

Russell later apologized for the joke, tweeting, “I have a deep and abiding love for all people of all nationalities, I’m very sorry that I have said things on here that have caused distress.”

Circumcision is definitely a divisive issue. I chose NOT to have my six month old son Callum circumcised, even though it’s common practice in the US, and I’m inclined to agree with Russell that it’s outdated and unnecessary.

What do YOU think? Is he right? Or out of line?

– Ian Garland

More Russell Crowe on HollyBaby:

1. Aww! Russell Crowe And His Son Tennyson Spend Quality Time Together Over Breakfast
  2. Are You A Strict Parent Or A Total Pushover? These Celebs Admit They’re Big Softies
  3. How Russell Crowe’s 6-Year-Old Son Got Him to Quit Smoking

Roger

Posted at 3:24 PM on June 15, 2011

Maybe you would be more into his point of view if you knew about metzizah bepeh

itsmelaurenash

Posted at 4:34 PM on June 10, 2011

The problem with some celebrities is that they get so full of themselves that they feel they have the right to tell other people what they should do. It’s his right to choose whether or not his children get a circumcision but telling other people to “stop cutting their children” is over the line. It’s just like celebrities telling people to not vaccinate their kids. It comes down to what each parent feels is right for their children. You can tell people why you decided it was right for you and then let them make an informed decision for themselves.

Elisabeth

Posted at 10:58 PM on September 15, 2011

How about the poor child decide if HE want 70% less feeling in his penis? It isn’t a parents choice to make.

rachel s.

Posted at 4:02 PM on June 10, 2011

This is such a hot topic debate. I won’t get into my opinions, but I really wish any parent faced with the decision would read the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Medical Association, and American Academy of Family Physicians reports on the matter so they can make an informed decision.

I also wanted to note that Russell Crowe is from NZ where circumcision is rarely practiced.

Courtney

Posted at 3:00 PM on June 10, 2011

Mr Crowe is an idiot circumcision is usually done to prevent baby boys from getting infections down there. and what he said about forced motherhood and abortion in a later tweet is incredibably insensitive. he wouldn’t know the lifelong guilt that comes with abortion if it bonked him on the head if he did he would’ve thought before he said that mr big mouth probably also thinks abortion and miscarriage are the same thing no they are not an abortion can be prevented a miscarriage can’t.

Elisabeth

Posted at 10:56 PM on September 15, 2011

lol… You obviously don’t know much about this… There is a higher risk in circumcising than not doing it, including death. Uncut boys RARELY get infections. I should know, I’m from a country that DOES NOT circumcise. Thank God.

nad