'The Voice': Dia Frampton Kicks Butt With 'Heartless' Cover & Reveals She Hasn't Heard Kris Allen's Version!

Wed, June 8, 2011 3:00am EDT by 40 Comments

PLUS Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera exchange quips and all of the coaches perform Queen — check out the videos!

Ever since The Voice started, I’ve had my eye on Javier Colon to win the entire competition, but tonight Dia Frampton quickly became a frontrunner with her touching and incredibly unique rendition of Kanye West‘s “Heartless”. When chatting with Dia backstage she revealed she’d never heard of Kris Allen‘s American Idol version of the popular song!

When we last saw Dia on stage she was battling against Serabee in an extremely uncomfortable and bizarre duet of “You Can’t Hurry Love”. I remember thinking she had a charming voice, but not really placing her high on my list. Boy did that change tonight. Dia sounded absolutely beautiful, with a haunting and strong tone in her pure voice. I loved it!

The 23-year-old singer and writer of children’s books was nervous to get out on stage, and she admitted to me afterward that she was still rattled immediately following her performance. “I was more comfortable with the piano, but I was definitely very nervous. Hopefully it will get a little bit better.”

When Dia (with her awesomely-glittered eyes) first started singing “Heartless” I instantly thought of Kris Allen in 2009. But when I asked her if she’d heard of Kris’s rendition she said “I haven’t!”

She revealed, “I heard ‘The Fray’ do a little bit of it, which was cool. I wanted to slow it down a little more, make the piano more vibrant, and then kind of put my own vocal thing on it. [At first] I actually hadn’t heard ‘The Fray’s’ [cover] … I said I wanted to do Kanye and Blake was the one that told me [to listen to them] and it was cool.”

Contestant Lily Elise told me she lives right next to Dia and says her friend is one hard-worker. “That girl practices all day long. I hear her through the wall!” All of that hard work paid off. Every single one of the judges gave Dia high praise. Adam Levine said it was the most “refreshing, unique thing I’ve heard on the show” and Cee Lo Green called it the “greatest rendition of a song I’ve ever heard.”

Dia joined the rest of Blake Shelton‘s team to perform Maroon 5’s “This Love”, which illicited a hilarious reaction from a surprised and ever-sexy Adam. “We are all friends, and Blake’s like a buddy so I felt really comfortable performing with them,” admitted Dia.

It was the first live show for the singing competition and I enjoyed many moments from tonight’s episode, including the banter between the coaches, the downright dirty jokes that were being told, and Patrick Thomas‘s sweet country crooning dedicated to his sister. (He was my second fave of the night).

The judges/coaches started the evening off right with their Queen performance, and Adam started a worldwide Twitter trending frenzy with his guitar solo (right … had nothing to do with his looks). In fact, most of the contestants trended internationally, and judges Adam and Christina had everyone gabbing about their quips which included Christina accusing Adam of soiling himself. Oh, and she asked Patrick to take his pants off again, leading Adam to say “Christina wants to do it with you.”

What was your favorite moment of the night? Who do you think will be going home next week? I’m thinking we might be seeing the end of Xenia and Raquel Castro, two girls I like but might not cut it against the fierce competition. Were you as impressed as I was by the lovely Dia?

Lorena O’Neil

Follow Lorena on Twitter if you’re a fellow ‘The Voice’ fan

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Read more from Lorena on ‘The Voice’

1. Cee Lo’s team pulls a Hunger Games move
  2. The girl who cried about being pretty goes home!
  3. Why Javier Colon is the one to beat!

Posted at 3:33 AM on May 29, 2012

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks you really understand what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally visit my website =). We will have a hyperlink alternate agreement between us

digital exposure food photographers

Posted at 2:02 AM on April 14, 2012

I cherished as much as you’ll receive performed right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. however, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be turning in the following. sick surely come more before once more since precisely the similar just about very frequently within case you shield this increase.

food waste disposer

Posted at 1:21 PM on April 10, 2012

It’s in point of fact a nice and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you just shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

chantelle

Posted at 3:24 PM on November 17, 2011

Dia Frampton was the BEST singer ever on the voice so far!!! i hope Blakes team wins next time :D
go team blake,
-chantelle9

heartless

Posted at 5:03 AM on July 8, 2011

it’s the worst version of Heartless. It’s not suitable for female voice. I didn’t feel the right feeling when heard her version. Kris’s version is the best. He made every tone into the right place.

chantelle

Posted at 3:26 PM on November 17, 2011

nahhh it was the BEST!!!! kris’s version was good but just cuz Dia sang it, its better :)

marian

Posted at 10:39 PM on June 28, 2011

not to be mean but that song is not for her , ithink that kanye’s did it the best because ther rap lyrics not song. also she was to proper with it.

Bob

Posted at 9:51 PM on June 24, 2011

Dia Frampton has co written 5 albums worth of original songs with her sister Meg. She has no reason to rip off anyone. Frankly I could name 20 Meg and Dia songs that are better than Heartless.

Janelle

Posted at 7:56 PM on September 5, 2011

Hey Bob, Dia is truely special i would b v. interested in hearing more from Dia where can you get hold of dia and Meg stuff? Any1 who says this song is not suited to her voise must be tone deaf.

chantelle

Posted at 3:29 PM on November 17, 2011

hey Janelle, i totally agree with u 110%.some people just hate cause they cant do what she can do…

Bruce

Posted at 2:21 PM on June 21, 2011

Ahhh….1st of all Kris Allen totally ripped off the Fray. He sung it word for word note for note like the Fray’s rendition. So no it is NOT Kris Allen’s version it’s The Fray’s version. Second: Dia sung it way better than Kris Allen and she even managed to change it up a bit something Allen couldn’t do.

Lark

Posted at 5:01 AM on June 23, 2011

Oh shut the hell up you Glambert. Dia’s version was closer to the Fray’s than Kris’ version was. Hers was dark and melancholy where Kris’ was more of an acoustic jam. The Fray’s version is piano-based, just like Dia’s. And Kris’ version was on guitar. You know what’s the best compliment? That Kanye West went on the View and when asked about Kris’ performance on Idol, he said everyone else sings it better than him! I am a HUGE Kris Allen but I also liked Dia’s version. They’re completely different.

heartless

Posted at 4:57 AM on July 8, 2011

what?…word for word? note for note?…do you have ears?..or you have a slow brain, right?…it’s really stupid if you said that.

chantelle

Posted at 3:30 PM on November 17, 2011

TO: bruce
your totally 100% right! thank u for clarifyin that:)

DP

Posted at 11:28 PM on June 11, 2011

She did a good job with the arrangement (too bad she’s denying that she didn’t rip it off from that AI guy). Unfortunately, she’s so pitchy and boring. I was hoping that The Voice would be a better version of AI, but boy, all the contestants are mediocre at best. Another BLAH of a show.

JoJo

Posted at 7:23 PM on June 9, 2011

Wabbit Love- which version of Heartless by Kris Allen did you listen to. The studio version from idol is different from the cd version on his album and that is different from the performance actually on idol. You should listen to the video of the actual performance on idol, Kris sang it with just his guitar.

jos

Posted at 6:13 AM on June 10, 2011

That’s true, the actual performance on American Idol is really different from the American Idol studio download. The one on his self-titled album is even more different (which is a style that he didn’t intend for the album). My favorite is the concert version, which is acoustic and includes his band in which he mashes it up with “Gangsta’s Paradise.”

heartless

Posted at 4:53 AM on July 8, 2011

yes. the first accoustic version of this song was Kris’s. Seems like Wabbit Love dont know that. Kris’s ver is still the best with me

MGP

Posted at 10:42 AM on June 9, 2011

As a huge Kris Allen fan, who was blown away by his acoustic rendition of heartless, I’ve got to say she did a super job on the song. It is nothing like Kris’s version as much as Kris’s version is nothing like The Fray’s version. Kris fans that are “upset” should just remember how stupid people sounded when they were saying Kris copied The Fray. I obviously prefer Kris’s version but it doesn’t mean I can’t like Dia’s version as well!

anonymous

Posted at 6:37 AM on June 10, 2011

Exactly. For people who had not watched Idol that year, throughout the season Kris Allen was always referred to (or boxed in) as the John Mayer and Jason Mraz type. He was just this quiet humble guy. So when he covered a current hip-hop song at the time (Kanye performed the week before) with just his voice alone and then playing his guitar without utilizing the Idol band, he made a huge impression.

anonymous

Posted at 6:43 AM on June 10, 2011

I forgot to mention that Dia did a good job in sticking what she knows best, but I have to see what she will do next. If she will sound the same or impress me as an artist.

Wabbit Love

Posted at 8:37 PM on June 8, 2011

I’ve been a long time Meg & Dia fan (Dia’s band) and I know that American Idol died in popularity after the first few seasons. I, personally, have never heard Kris’ version of that song. I had to look it up on YouTube to see what everyone was talking about. And boy, was I surprised! Not by the similarities but at how people can compare performances! Dia plays acoustic. If she was really trying to rip off his performance, she would have. But the two performances are like apples and oranges! I understand there’s some die hard Kris fans out there who are freaking out, but knowing Dia’s style, I know she doesn’t watch American idol. That show is lame. =)

Anon Girl

Posted at 11:02 PM on June 8, 2011

Not all Kris fans are freaking out, and there are tons who are really smart and cool people. Kris is a cool guy, and I bet a million dollars he’d give Dia props if he heard her performance. He himself does not watch the show, but was persuaded by his brother to accompany him to audition. Anyway, if anybody including the media refer to Kris Allen because of Dia doing “Heartless,” it’s because him covering was one of the big TV moments that catapulted him to even shocking moment when he won. That season got Emmy noms and wins. For a show he hardly ever watches :) I agree, that sometimes Idol is lame. To tell you the truth, there are elements in The Voice is irritating me as well.

Lark

Posted at 5:02 AM on June 23, 2011

Thank you for saying this! Funny cuz I like Kris’, Dia’s and the Fray’s version of Heartless but Kanye’s… eh, not so much! Haha!

illini

Posted at 5:08 PM on June 8, 2011

I have to agree one hundred percent with samIam. Dia’s version and Kris’s are way different, nothing alike. It’s like comparing apples to oranges.

lovedia

Posted at 4:40 PM on June 8, 2011

I LOVED her version. She is my favorite by far.

kiki

Posted at 4:09 PM on June 8, 2011

never heard Kris Allen’s version of Heartless? yeah right! it’s like saying never watched a show called American Idol.

Kim

Posted at 12:21 AM on June 9, 2011

I watched American Idol the first 3 seasons and then pretty much stopped. Until today, after all this discussion, I had never heard Kris Allen’s version of ‘Heartless’. So….yeah his version wasn’t so earth shattering that it popped up on everyone’s radar.

Becie

Posted at 12:08 AM on June 15, 2011

I don’t want American Idol. Is that so unbelievable? Why are you so certain that EVERYONE watches that show? I hear people talk about it but I just don’t have the interest. Be careful with using blanket statement because we are not all the same.

SamIAm

Posted at 3:43 PM on June 8, 2011

I disagree that Dia’s version sounds just like Kris Allen’s version. That all I have to say about that.

heartless

Posted at 4:43 AM on July 8, 2011

agree with you. they’re not the same. totally different.

tia

Posted at 3:37 PM on June 8, 2011

Dia’s was pretty good, but Kris’ phrasing and tone — and just the fact that he used only his beautiful voice & amazing guitar — made his version stand out.

tia

Posted at 3:38 PM on June 8, 2011

….I meant “acoustic” guitar.

WHATSTHATYOUSAY

Posted at 3:15 PM on June 8, 2011

Dia never heard Kris Allen’s version of Heartless, yet she just managed to copy it? Wow. She must be a pyschic.

Give me a break. Who hasn’t heard Kris Allen’s version of Heartless. Just the way she kept her head down and her body language while they were complimenting her tells me she did. I am not saying she didn’t do well, but it irks me to no extent when someone copies someone and allows others to give them credit for being original.

Dia, however is not the first to do it and surely won’t be the last.

John

Posted at 10:35 PM on June 10, 2011

Are you kidding me ? I have been a musician for 13 years and let alone never heard Kris Allen’s version of heartless, I never heard of Kris Allen until today because i don’t watch American Idol & if Allen has been on the radio i never took any notice to him. I watched maybe half of one season a few years ago but that’s about it. So no its not out of the ordinary for a musician to never hear a song before. I just watched Allen’s rendition and while it was O.K. at best Dia’s version was far superior and engaging of his or the original. It has been a VERY long time that i have been THAT engaged by a song before. If that girl doesn’t make it far someone has rocks in their head. Dia and Beverly are defiantly in the top spots of their teams.

Ralph

Posted at 1:23 AM on June 29, 2011

And you know this with such authority HOW?? If she said she didn’t hear Kris’s version, I totally believe it. If you didn’t spot the differences in the 2 versions, you must be tone deaf.. because I can spot differences all over the place. The only thing the 2 versions have in common is they are sung slow much like Frey’s version. If anyone ripped off anyone, Please.. lets be honest and say Kris ripped off Frey’s version.. Dia atleast made it more lively, added more vibrato, and that special tone her voice has.

Paige

Posted at 12:59 PM on June 8, 2011

I with out a doubt, love Dia. I have loved her voice and talent for many years now. I think she has what it takes to win this competition. Im so glad she finally gets to share her amazing talent to the whole world. She has the voice of an angel, she’s beautiful, humble and sweet. what else could you ask for?

Zoe

Posted at 9:28 AM on June 8, 2011

I LOVED Dia’s version, she has a beautiful quality to her voice!! I remember there was a girl on some MTV show that also did this version of Heartless before Kris Allen.

jos

Posted at 9:53 AM on June 8, 2011

Kris Allen didn’t own a TV for almost 2 years, but I do know he has Kanye West’s album.

anonymous

Posted at 7:39 AM on June 8, 2011

I see you hyperlinked “Kris” with a non-Kris Allen post, which tells me Hollywood Life don’t post about him much. If you get the latest scoop and photos of Kris Allen, trust me when I say your site will receive a lot of new traffic. The keyword here is “latest.” You should interview him some time soon as he is releasing his second album some time this year.