Andy Says: Reese Witherspoon's MTV Movie Awards Speech Was Brilliant!

Mon, June 6, 2011 9:22am EDT by 14 Comments

Reese slammed Blake Lively, Kim Kardashian & more scandalous stars — without naming names, of course. What did you think of her speech?

June 5, 2011, is officially marked on my calendar as the day I fell back in love with Reese Witherspoon. We’ve seen her play countless roles over the years, but not until the 2011 MTV Movie Awards did we get to just see her play herself: honest, hilarious — and possibly a little drunk.

“When I came up in this business, if you made a sex tape, you were embarrassed, you hid it under your bed,” she said in her acceptance speech for the MTV Generation Award. “And, like, if you took naked pictures of yourself on your cell phone, you hide your face, people!”

(I know I’m not the only one who was praying the show would cut to Blake Lively in the audience at that moment — but sadly, no dice.)

Reese also used her stage time to tear down brainless reality TV stars, who rely on outrageous behavior and gratuitous sexuality to compensate for their lack of any actual talent.

“I know it’s cool to be bad; I get it,” she said. “But it’s also possible to make it in Hollywood without a reality show.”

When I first heard that Reese is good friends with Chelsea Handler, it took me by surprised — but now it kind of makes perfect sense. I hope this is the start of a whole lot of real-talk from Reese. I approve!

Watch Reese accept her award below. Then tell us what you thought of her controversial (and hilarious) speech!

Click to follow Andy on Twitter

Nilla

Posted at 3:19 PM on June 25, 2011

I say, just be careful how you criticize girls, because you never know when it will be your daughter, sister, niece, cousin that makes a mistake and get pressured by a boy to send photos and they get out.Everybody and everyone is human. People do make mistakes, Reese is truthful but dont be SO judgemental on girls, the guys aren’t being blamed. Have you watched Jersey shore?!!!

Nilla

Posted at 3:14 PM on June 25, 2011

I agree with Reese speech. But then again people have to really think who this is targeting, GIRLS, young females. Nothing is ever said about guys that do these things. There are a ton of double standards for guys then there are girls and its sad. There are WAY too many pressures on females in today’s society. Colin farrel is an actor and never got pent down for his sex tape, also ray J, and other young males that has dome it. The media look for females to expose and that is what Fame is now and days.

Anna

Posted at 1:04 AM on June 8, 2011

Why do you people have to stir things up and make a drama of nothing? Really? Why would she waste her time taking a jab or even poking Blake Lively, Kim Kardashian and the rest?

You, celebrity bloggists, are just like hyenas. You take a great pleasure in staging imaginary fights about people who actually and thankfully know nothing about your vile earthy existence.

imani

Posted at 3:16 PM on June 6, 2011

i agree with her speech, little girls should not look up to these reality stars , most of the girls now think that the only way to make it in hollywood is with your body not talent, i guess you don’t need to become a lawyer or a doctor to be succesfull and have money all you need is to make a sex tape with a black guy and you’ll be rich beyond your means, WOW…what is wrong with the world today, Reeses was right and it’s about time that someone said something and i hope that this is the begining of a change towards the positive, it makes me sick to my stomack when i see some people working so hard , honest work, and barelly make it day by day, live from paycheck to paycheck, meantime these other chicks come out with a discusting sex tape and now they are famous and looked up to and live very confertably, WTF!!

rachel

Posted at 12:24 PM on June 6, 2011

Her speech was awesome and so true! I love her even more now.

Kimberly Brisendine

Posted at 11:33 AM on June 6, 2011

truth hurts sometimes!

Cynthia

Posted at 11:14 AM on June 6, 2011

Love Reese! Girl is ageless, she’s just being herself, smart and honest!

Andy

Posted at 11:26 AM on June 6, 2011

jen

Posted at 10:17 AM on June 6, 2011

Hey Reese! So how does one get to be popular? A fauxmance? Be a beard? Ted and Lainey were right! You are a meanie! (and I’m being polite here).

Andy

Posted at 10:21 AM on June 6, 2011

Whoa, disagree! Reese has been popular forever. And she was just being honest with her speech, and I agree with every point she made.

tinamarie

Posted at 11:04 AM on June 6, 2011

Andy, I couldn’t agree more. I loved it and it was all true. She wasn’t being mean about it just honest. I’m sure it’s what everyone else wants to say. You can make it and not be a skank about it. It’s called respect people.

Andy

Posted at 11:26 AM on June 6, 2011

And the fact that she was pretty vague about the people she was targeting just made her all the more classy.

tinamaria

Posted at 11:47 AM on June 6, 2011

Definitely but she’s always been classy.

blake

Posted at 1:58 PM on June 6, 2011

u r just stupid,resse knows what respect is ,and that speech was the best speech ever,u need to shut up.sincerly respect