Angelina Jolie Slams Schools, Claiming Her Kids Are Better Off Staying At Home!

Fri, June 3, 2011 9:47am EDT by 26 Comments

The actress insists her six children with Brad Pitt learn more globetrotting with their superstar parents then they do at school!

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have been criticized for dragging their brood around the world with them. But Angie is convinced that’s a FAR better learning environment for them than any classroom. Are they right?

“The education system is so bad, Angelina, 35, tells The Independent. “I do think we live in a different age and the education system hasn’t caught up with our children and our way of life.”

The Brangelina brood; Maddox, 9, Pax, 7, Zahara, 6, Shiloh, 5 and two-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne, are enrolled in the French Lycée programme and attend classes wherever they are in the world with their parents.

But Angelina prefers to home school her children with the help of private tutors, explaining, “Instead of tomfoolery in the class room, I’d rather them go to a museum and learn to play guitar and read and pick a book they love.”

These are pretty strong words, HollyMoms. Are schools THAT bad? And isn’t “tomfoolery” and bonding with classmates part of growing up?

Tell us what YOU think!

– Ian Garland

Get More Angelina Jolie:

1. Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie Are Thinking Of Getting Married For Their Kids!
  2. Super Mom Angelina Jolie Insists She’s Always Home For The Weekend!
  3. What Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie Bought For Shiloh’s Pirate-Themed Birthday Party!

emanuellombard

Posted at 3:30 PM on July 4, 2014

Years after I designed, directed and retired from the BH high school program she attended, I can’t believe she took advantage of the program because each student had his/her own curriculum. Later in rural Virginia, I had 8 more children who, in 90 minutes a day, taught themselves with zero help , They all won scholarships and have done marvelously well as have so many of my BH students with whom I am still in touch, As yet untapped technologies could, in the hands of the right people, do wonders for our students and those of the whole world! ‘Much cheaper than wars!

Do you realize that the average teacher is from the bottom 25% of graduates and leaves after four years? It takes a special kind of person to put up with the bureaucratic bullying and lack of creative imagination. I later worked in a men’s maximum security prison as chief psychologist ,and it wasn’t much different than the 25 public schools that I served in. A friend asked for an evaluation of the elegant private school his kids were attending at $30,000 each. The kids were cleaner and more polite, but the teachers were no more creative or gifted than in any public school I had ever served in. I’m sure that there are endless exceptions to what I say here, but most of our teachers, schools, cultures, boards of education, and schools of education do not serve our children well.. I’m filled with terror at the thought of what lies ahead for our children and our society.

dance

Posted at 12:44 AM on April 16, 2012

Thanks for the good writeup. It in reality was a entertainment account it. Look complicated to more brought agreeable from you! However, how can we keep up a correspondence?

catering glasgow

Posted at 1:33 AM on March 2, 2012

Ok thats great.. i am also know very well about wedding catering.. according to me two types of catering are On-Premise – in which food is prepared, cooked and served at the same venue. Off-Premise – where food is prepared and cooked in a workstation preferred by the caterer but served somewhere else.other is that Corporate catering does not mean only office parties and get-togethers. It also involves offering breakfasts and lunch to employees. Corporate catering of different hours has different menus. Breakfast may include fresh fruits, sandwiches, pastries and so on; lunch menu may include hot meals, soup, salad, few sandwiches etc.

Nichi Marie

Posted at 6:30 PM on August 28, 2011

I totally agree with Angelina! Public schools and even private are nothing I want my child around.

Alan

Posted at 11:03 AM on July 6, 2011

I think the two choices given for the poll are part of the problem. Education should not be a one size fits all endeavor. We should be open to offering and accepting many different methods of education and families should be supported in choosing the option that they feel is best for their children.

Vicky

Posted at 7:24 PM on June 28, 2011

I agree with both Angelina & Anon…I don’t have kids either but my brothers do and I do see what they are both talking about with our education system in this country. Unless you have alot of money to spend on private schools with smaller classes these kids seem to be pushed through the system. This is not right. I think all kids should be homeschooled. I think we’ll definitely see CHANGE for the better in this country if this happens sooner than later.

Mina

Posted at 5:07 PM on June 5, 2011

She and Pitt are very rich, and chances are their kids won’t have to work for a living. I think for her children, this is the best way.

I mean, I think of the rich kids who got sent to the best private schools, and it’s a waste. What will they learn there? How to snort coke like Paris Hilton? How to be arrogant and totally unaware of how real mothers struggle with juggling a job and raising their kids like Gwyneth Paltrow? Turn into socialite Olivia Palermo who never once knew how to treat a superior during her tenure at Vogue? How to make sex tapes and take nude iPhone pictures of themselves? Play polo, go to Yale, and do some silly internship at Rolling Stone for a few weeks that their connections get them? No, that would be ridiculous.

They have private tutors under their parents’ employ, and they will undoubtedly receive the best education.

Better that instead of private prep schools where kids brag about their fancy vacations and new gadgets, they go out into the world, be a happy family together, and learn how they can help the world that has so much pain and suffering. Most rich kids are nearly sociopathic.

Sam

Posted at 3:42 PM on July 6, 2011

Wow, I agree 100%. Well said.

bobbob

Posted at 3:00 AM on July 17, 2011

Great comment. Couldn’t agree more! And Hollywood parents could sure do worse than teach their kids to grow up to be compassionate philanthropists!

SK

Posted at 7:52 PM on June 4, 2011

Public education in the US sucks because parents in the US suck. They use public school as a daycare system.

mer

Posted at 10:13 PM on June 3, 2011

She may be correct in that her children are exposed to more cultural learning simply due to the experiences they have from traveling around the world, however, this does not mean they are being properly educated. She is somewhat of a rebel, so it’s no wonder she takes this attitude. I guess it remains to be seen how this will affect her brood. She has the money to hire tutors and give her children a brilliant education. Hopefully she will do the responsible thing so they don’t suffer from her independent attitude, which frankly sounds pretty ignorant.

Nya M.

Posted at 7:44 PM on June 4, 2011

I completely agree with what she’s saying. Studies have proven that the intellect of students actually digress as they continue in grade levels. Our children are not taught to think; they are taught to remember and regurgitate. Once they’ve passed the test they forget what they have learned. Countries like Japan and China are excelling in the areas of Math and Science while our children can’t seem to formulate proper sentences. I’ve attended public school and private school and I must say the quality of education that I received while in private school was for more superior to that of public school.

Danny

Posted at 9:15 AM on July 9, 2011

While I am not denying that US education needs serious transformation (and I don’t mean just public education), I encourage you to read more about the education system in China, its test-prep focus, and which students take the PISA, the test used to make the comparisons between students. Start with Yong Zhao.

Aly

Posted at 11:40 PM on June 4, 2011

The article says that she likes to homeschool them “with the help of private tutors”.

So, she’s already doing what you think she should be doing…

Mooooooooooooo

Posted at 8:56 PM on June 3, 2011

Angelina didn’t say anything against teachers. Teachers don’t determine curricula!!! Anyway she is speaking generally. All of the elder Jolie-Pitt kids attend school in LA, and have for quite some time. They didn’t move to New Orleans with Brad on his last shoot due to their school session.

Tammy

Posted at 5:33 PM on June 3, 2011

I’m an elementary teacher in the U.S. So, thanks for the nice comment. Glad you approve of the job I’m doing.

Mina

Posted at 5:10 PM on June 5, 2011

My mother was a schoolteacher in a very large city, and I think part of what Jolie is saying is that teachers in the public educational system make teaching hell. I doubt she would blame you at all. Most Americans have great sympathy for what the schoolteachers have to deal with and we think they deserve so much more respect. I think the system is the problem, not the teachers.

lynn

Posted at 11:08 AM on June 6, 2011

you are 100% correct. I’m not a teacher, but have family members and a few friends who are and your comment is right on.

lola

Posted at 5:10 PM on June 3, 2011

Yes. Just keep on doing this. Isolate your kids, let them keep to themselfs. They don’t need contact with normal kids at all. Friends are sooo overrated if you habe like 10 siblings.
Man just stay put for some time and pick a good school for those kids.

Aly

Posted at 11:34 PM on June 4, 2011

Homeschooling =/= isolation. These kids would definitely not be isolated. There are a lot more places for kids to interact with other children, then a school building. (Playgrounds, playdates, etc…) School for me killed a lot of my curiosity, because I kept getting in trouble because I would write High School level history reports in the 5th grade (and would skip school as a result, and go to the library). As long as they’re actually encouraging their children to learn, there’s nothing wrong with it. Children are pretty naturally inquisitive… and also, it’s better they’re outside discovering then sitting on their asses all day in a classroom.

Eruandil

Posted at 8:29 AM on July 6, 2011

What a fantastic example of public schooling you are.

Anyone who thinks that homeschooling is automatically isolation is not only failing to actually examine any good home schooling systems, but is utterly ignoring the fact that average homeschool children, on the whole, are far more productive, more socially graceful, and more successful than the average public school students.

My dad was a public school teacher for over 35 years. I was homeschooled along with a homeschool group of over 200 of my peers.

Your argument is invalid.

maria

Posted at 4:56 PM on June 3, 2011

I don’t know what’s up with your country but in my country if the kid will not go to school or home schooled the parents will have to go to jail. :-

Suzie

Posted at 5:14 PM on December 12, 2011

Where is that, in Mexico?

Anon

Posted at 2:15 PM on June 3, 2011

She’s absolutely right. I’m not rich or famous, but my son is homeschooled for the exact same reasons. And he tested through the roof on all of the measurable exams. Public education in the U.S. sucks.

Marlene

Posted at 2:39 PM on June 3, 2011

BUT she’s rich, so her kids would be going to very good private schools. I think she’s right, but I also think that kids need to be in school for the social interaction with children who are not their siblings. I hope that when the kids get older, they’ll have a more stable education because I think they’ll miss it if they don’t have it.

Mina

Posted at 5:12 PM on June 5, 2011

I went to mostly public schools my whole life, and I have a coworker who was homeschooled until college. He is truly a lovely person with confidence and a warm, congenial attitude. I think he would have been bullied a lot if he’d been in public school. But he’s a very bright engineer who recently wrote a book. He has so many friends. It’s been a plus for him for sure.