Lorena Says: Patrick Dempsey Is Leaving 'Grey's Anatomy' And I Am Inconsolable!

Tue, May 31, 2011 4:42pm EDT by 12 Comments

Patrick Dempsey reveals the next season of ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ will be his last! Will Derek Sheperd die?

Patrick Dempsey confirmed he is leaving Grey’s Anatomy after next season. In other news, I just cut my own LVAD wire. The actor told the Italian Vanity Fair, “It’s gonna be my last [season]. I do not know what’s going to happen to the other characters, but for me it’s done.” Et tu Patrick? Our sister site TVLine.com points out Shonda Rhimes made a very suspicious remark recently which could mean Derek Shepard will die in the upcoming eighth season!

Shonda recently told Matt Mitovich, “I feel like Meredith and Derek are meant to be together forever, and we’re going to make sure that in the end they end up together, one would hope — unless one of them dies or something.”

Ellen Pompeo is still deciding whether or not she will stay past the eighth season when her contract is up, so if Meredith is still at Seattle Grace without Derek, will it be as a widowed single mother?

I can’t even function at the thought of Derek dying. When he got shot in the hospital, the only thing keeping me going was the rational part of me thinking “Whatever they wouldn’t be able to kill off Derek without Patrick’s departure from ‘Grey’s’ being leaked off first.” And NOW what am I supposed to do. I’m going to be nervous every time he crosses the street! Mer/Der is my favorite couple on Grey’s Anatomy and whether or not Derek dies I don’t now how I feel about the show continuing on without his existence.

Patrick says his departure “bittersweet because it’s been great and a great part of my life. But I can’t see me doing it anymore.” It’s understandable that he feels like he’s dedicated enough years to it, and it obvoiusly his personal decision and his career choice. So I’m not faulting Patrick (we are on a first name basis, I’ve decided) for his decision to leave but I’m just so upset!

What do you guys think of this news? Are you equally devastated to lose Derek? Are you hoping Ellen/Meredith stays without him or is that too weird? Do you think he will die? If there’s a chance he will leave Meredith but still be alive (guest spots?) would you prefer that or are you intent on them staying together? Sound off below while I go look for tissues!

UPDATE: Patrick’s rep tells EW, “He was referring to the fact that his contract is up at the end of next season and we have no idea what the future holds.” Maybe there’s hope? What do you guys think?

Lorena O’Neil

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

mindy

Posted at 10:19 PM on May 10, 2012

I for one will not watch the show anymore if all the original cast leaves…ugh and tonight just confirmed derek is going to die! Sadness =,(

Alejandra

Posted at 9:48 AM on February 18, 2012

Grey’s was awful awful awful. Every time they burst into song I lugahed and changed the channel. People tuned in because they were curious, not because it was good.

Adairynne

Posted at 2:27 AM on September 23, 2011

I don’t care WHO leaves, as long as Meredith and Cristina stay! I thought Derek was being the hugest jerk in the season premier tonight anyways! I hope he leaves or gets hit by a car! I think Mer would be a great single mom!

Patricia

Posted at 10:53 AM on June 10, 2011

I hope Patrick changes his mind – but either way, the show must go on. I think Meredith is great when she is shady dark and twisty Meredith too. But let’s be honest here, the show also really needs sarcastic Christina. So, with Meredith and Christina it can still be strong. Still miss George so much – dont you all? I like Dr. Torres but the baby stuff is getting boring. She is too dramatic and i think her role should be minimized a little. What did you all think of the singing episode? I hated it. Dont like Lucy at all. She needs to go. Hunt is awesome too. The new chief resident is annoying – what’s her name again??

Ivy

Posted at 9:18 AM on June 1, 2011

Jeeze, relax!
Patrick has made the right decision. He deserves A LOT better than the way they’re treating him on that crap show!
IMO, he should have left a long time ago!

The only reason I’m still watching the show is because of him! When he’s done, I’m done!

SD

Posted at 11:56 PM on May 31, 2011

I just hope she doesn’t kill him off. I’ll watch as long as Ellen is on but I hope they stay or go together.This is sad news but not surprising. I think he averaged less than five minutes per episode this past season.

Smriti

Posted at 11:48 PM on May 31, 2011

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo I CANNOT handle a sad MerDer ending. Haven’t MerDer have had enough sadness all these years? After loving them this madly we all deserve a happy ending Ellen should just LEAVE with Patrick coz there is no Meredith without Derek and vice versa She might be the title character but the thing that made Grey’s that kept it floating all these years even with bumps is MERDER not Mer not Der not any damned other character but MERDER They freaking opened the show together. the very first scene of the very first episode started with THEM and it should end with THEM only then we all would get a pay off for investing our emotions to this intense an extent for EIGHT LONG YEARS. To many MerDer aren’t just a tv couple, they are part of their lives, you hardly see couples on TV who have been meant to be since the VERY FIRST SCENE of the damned show and have REMAINED meant to be over the years. I mean they were thrown with so much crap but every time they emerged through it they emerged STRONGER…after all of that they and their fans freaking deserve a happy ending

And if god forbid this happens that Ep stays on wo PD which I earnestly HOPE won’t. but if it does then maybe Shonda can show Derek working somewhere else being with his mom or something while Mer is finishing her residency in SGH and he can come for visits and stuff like that and in the very end ND get their happily ever after….Also if this does happens i would be more ok with Derek dead than MerDer being ruined, their love being destroyed by divorcing them and blah…but I hope we don’t have to go there and ellen just LEAVES with him

karen hayes

Posted at 11:13 PM on May 31, 2011

I think it is stupid to kill either character and i will not watch Greys again without
Patrick or Ellen. I think they should make season 8 the last greys for everyone
and just end the show. He and Meredith should just decide to move away and
leave it at that because that leaves room for possible guest spots. I also do not
think either of them will be like George Clooney and I think leaving a hot show
is very stupid and they will wind up like TR Knight. What is he doing? Patrick
has had a movie career but he is a television star not a movie star so it is a stupid move.

Kelli

Posted at 9:56 PM on May 31, 2011

I think Patrick is leaving and they will kill off Derek.

MDLove

Posted at 6:34 PM on May 31, 2011

I hope Ellen leave with him. If not Shonda will definitely kill Derek off, since they can’t split up.. ever! MD the characters and MD fans all deserve a happy ending after 7/8 years.

alex

Posted at 5:44 PM on May 31, 2011

i hope he doesn’t die, but i also hope that the show doesn’t go on without him. it just wouldn’t be the same, and i can’t bear to see meredith without derek! ;(

Joee

Posted at 5:06 PM on May 31, 2011

It wasn’t a suspicious remark, Shonda has also said that it’s up to everyone where they stand, and it’s uncertain about the future of many characters. Obviously it’s a possibility, but I don’t think it was meant that directly. It’ll probably be Ellen’s last season aswell, and if that is so, they’ll end up together, probably both leave the hospital.