Mom Smoked 20 Cigarettes A Day While Pregnant — And Claims It HELPED Her Baby! Experts Weigh In!

Tue, May 31, 2011 4:00pm EDT by 15 Comments

Charlie Wilcox even kept up her relentless tobacco habit after doctors warned her smoking could kill her unborn baby! She guesses she puffed through 3,500 cigarettes during her pregnancy!

Her daughter Lilly was born early and underweight, but Charlie Wilcox, 20, still refuses to believe she has done anything to harm her baby! How do you feel about this, HollyMoms?

“On an average day I’d smoke a minimum of 20,” Charlie, from Kent, England tells the Daily Mail. “I think it was my right and I don’t believe it was hurting Lilly.”

Explaining her bizarre theory that her smoking HELPED her baby, she adds, “If I was smoking so much and it was cutting off oxygen to the baby, then surely it would have made her use her own heart and the muscles she’d have to use when she was out.”

Baby Lilly shows no current signs of ill-effect, but experts tell HollyBaby.com Charlie’s smoking definitely put her daughter’s life at risk — and Lilly is still at danger until the smoking mom kicks her habit.

Tara A. Solomon, Medical Director of The Women’s Wellness Center of South Florida, explains, “Cigarette smoking during pregnancy places the mother at risk for placental abruption (premature separation of the placenta from the uterus ) which can be life threatening. Stillbirth can also occur because of fetal hypoxia (lack of oxygen). Babies exposed in utero to cigarettes have an increased incidence of birth defects such as cleft lip and cleft palate, low birth weight, and cerebral palsy. Babies exposed to second hand smoke after birth are more likely to die from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) and are at greater risk for asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia , ear infections and respiratory infections.”

OB/GYN Dr. Terry Hoffman agrees: “Smoking is NOT good for a baby. No study will tell you that. It makes for small babies and babies that are born to smokers are at an increased risk for asthma and allergies. You shouldn’t do it!”

Now what do YOU think HollyMoms? Does anyone agree with Charlie?

– Ian Garland, reporting by Jessica Krampe

GET MORE HERE

1. Thugs Smash Brick In 4-Year-Old’s Face, Leaving Her Unconscious! How Horrible!
  2. Mom Discovers Her Twin Boys Have Different Dads — On The ‘Maury’ Show!
  3. The Heartbreak Of Jack Ives — The Tallest Five-Year-Old In (Possibly) The World!

jow

Posted at 12:19 PM on May 19, 2013

JUST PLAIN STUPID.

Eliza

Posted at 6:06 PM on June 7, 2011

I’m probably going to be the only one to say this, but I don’t think smoking during pregnancy is as bad as the experts make it out to be.
I’m on baby #4 and I smoked through all of my pregnancies, 20+ cigarettes a day. None of my babies were born early, in fact they all went past their due dates. All of them weighed 7 pounds even and none of them have allergies or asthma. They are 15, 11, and 10 years old now. No serious health problems ever.
When a baby is born with health problems, then everyone scrambles to try and find a reason for it. Oh you smoked during your pregnancy, then that must be the reason! No, even mothers who do everything absolutely perfect have sickly babies.

Melissa

Posted at 12:49 PM on June 7, 2011

i have 3 kids i did not smoke with my first two but did with my youngest the oldest were not exposed to second hand smoke for several years. my middle child was the one to have all the ear infections and health problems he is now 7 and has type 1. the baby is perfectly healthy and would have been over due had my doc not felt sorry for me. im not saying its a good thing and agree that women should quit but its like anything else it effects us all differently and our children also.

brittany

Posted at 6:59 PM on June 6, 2011

What a disgusting, selfish persob. Scum of the earth.

karissa

Posted at 2:30 AM on June 4, 2011

SOMEONE PLEASE GET THIS GIRL SOME HELP!!!! is social services involved yet? and dad is just as guilty they don’t look to sad seeing their baby connected to tubes

Luna

Posted at 8:19 PM on June 1, 2011

I pray for a miracle for this child. =( I was born underweight, smaller and with asthma because my father smoked around my mother while she was pregnant with me and continued to smoke after my birth. My friend’s mother smoked while pregnant with my friend and she had birth defect that countless of looks alternation surgery were needed to make her look decent. This woman’s tubes should be tied! She should never be allowed to have any children if she doesn’t care about her child’s health!

Jessica

Posted at 7:58 PM on June 1, 2011

probably the stupidest thing i have read all year! if it didnt harm the baby why does she have an oxygen tube in?? stupid b*tch

ellie

Posted at 7:14 PM on June 1, 2011

*weight

ellie

Posted at 7:12 PM on June 1, 2011

Can I just explain that this woman was on a show here (uk) called ‘misbehaving mums to be’ on bbc3 where they were helping pregnant women who led unhealthy lifestyles (smoked, drank, weigh issues) get healthy for their baby. She went on the show because she knew what she was doing was wrong. I just felt that people needed to know what actually happened before judging her.
On another note the ‘Daily Mail’is a sh*t stirring tabloid that never publishes anything but lies and those who read it are at the lower end of the IQ scale…

Lisa

Posted at 1:51 PM on June 1, 2011

UUUGGHHH I think she is disgusting and ignorant. I myself am a smoker and I quit when I became pregnant. It was no longer about me. And where she fgot her info from???? Give me a break

OldMom

Posted at 10:00 PM on May 31, 2011

I had my babies years ago,and no big deal was made of smoking when pregnant back then. I have to say that my babies were full term,healthy,and all over eight pounds. They’re grown now,and to this day,they have no allergies or asthma. I did pay extreme attention to nutrition when I was pregnant,and to what I fed them after they were born. If I were doing it again now,though,I’d stop smoking.

Julie

Posted at 6:34 PM on May 31, 2011

NO IT DIDN’T HELP THE BABY!!!! It probably doesn’t have a illness right now but it will travel when it comes older or just in a few months. She’s so retarded

Christina

Posted at 5:45 PM on May 31, 2011

I quit the day I found out I was pregnant. My husband and I weren’t expecting it so I was incredibly stressed and of course craved one but didn’t touch one ONCE after finding out. People who don’t are selfish and shouldn’t have children, I don’t care how “addicted” you are-when you become a mom life isn’t about you anymore. And you become a mom as soon as you’re carrying your CHILD. Makes me sick.

smarterthanyou

Posted at 5:37 PM on May 31, 2011

What a dumb bi*ch. I hope your baby daddy realize what a peice of work you are & runs like hell away from you.

Danielle

Posted at 4:53 PM on May 31, 2011

I think this girl is off her rocker. She’s just trying to feel better about smoking during her pregnancy. Really stupid of her to defend it though. Most mom’s who smoke during pregnancies act ashamed of it.