'Teen Mom' Hater Chelsea Handler Confesses: 'I Had An Abortion When I Was 16' And It Was The Right Thing To Do!

Tue, May 24, 2011 11:15am EDT by 17 Comments

The talk show host discusses her hatred for the ‘Teen Mom’ phenomenon, admitting that the MTV shows make her ‘want to kill somebody.’ Do you agree with Chelsea?

In a shocking confession, E! star, Chelsea Handler opens up about her own personal ordeal with teen pregnancy and the choice that changed her life. What’s your take on the Teen Mom issue?

“People are too P.C.,” Chelsea, 36, tells the New York Times. “We need to be focusing on other things. We’re seeking out such grossness in human behavior and want such mindless entertainment. ‘The Real Housewives of Atlanta’ and some of these other shows are more racist. Or ‘16 and Pregnant.’ Getting rewarded for being pregnant when you’re a teenager? Are you serious? I mean, that makes me want to kill somebody.”

Chelsea knows this situation personally, confessing that she was a pregnant teen who decided to take the route she obviously believes in — pro-choice.

“I had an abortion when I was 16. Because that’s what I should have done,” Chelsea blantantly states, obviously slamming with the whole 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom world.

“Otherwise I would now have a 20-year-old kid. Anyway, those are things that people shouldn’t be dishonest about it.”

Do you think Chelsea took it too far or do you agree with her? Is teen pregnancy being too glamorized? Share your opinions!

–Leigh Blickley

GET MORE ON THIS ISSUE!

1. Mother Sues Anti-Abortion Group After They Use Her Daughter’s Picture On Racist Billboard!
  2. ’16 And Pregnant’ Star Alleges His Baby Mama Got Pregnant To Be On MTV!
  3. Mom Who Aborted Babies Because of Morning Sickness Is Trying To Get Pregnant Again!

pamela

Posted at 4:29 PM on June 27, 2011

they are not rewarded for being teenage mothers they are trying to show other teenagers how hard it is. you have no room to talk you was a teenage mother before you had a abortion which is murder so therefore your statement “Getting rewarded for being pregnant when you’re a teenager? Are you serious? I mean, that makes me want to kill somebody.” you done killed somebody, your own blood. you talk awful about the girls on this show but you seem to forget you were in the same position 26 years ago, but you choose the easy way out.

Kelly Peterson

Posted at 12:16 AM on March 21, 2012

So what? Abortion should be an option for any teen to have. I don’t consider a ball of cells a “person”, and I don’t believe it’s murder. No one should be forced to have a child if they aren’t ready. Besides, the world is already overpopulated and the last thing the world needs is tons of unwanted children. Pro-choice 100%

Jeneveive

Posted at 1:32 AM on May 28, 2011

abortion is the answer

lizzy

Posted at 11:55 PM on May 24, 2011

ok personal love teen mom and 16 and preagnet why cuz it a good show, ya i am a teen mom was a teen mom before all of the mtv crap, ya am proud of it iv done grate on my own, and like many said i owned up to my stupiedness now at 15 have sex is not righ you wind up prego and in school not easy but odoable and at the end of the date i always say waht are you going to regrate more ending your pragnacy or r you going to regrate your baby? if you dont wanta child keep your legs closed!!!!!!! that the real issue if more teen girl jus learn to have safe sex or not to have sex abortion rate would drop like no tomorrow where i am from abortion for rape is only 1 .5% of the abortion done like really comeone and jsut think at 18,16,15 do you want to mess up your utrisor any other organ a doc can mess up while doing the abortion and than at 25 when you your husband want a child and you have to tell him sorry hunny i cant have kids cuz the abortion i had when iwas 16, as a woman i am more then proud to be able to have a child it is what impowers me

Jenna

Posted at 12:28 PM on June 18, 2011

Lol at Lizzy. You are the exact reason why abortion should definitely be looked at as an alternative. From the way you speak, write and articulate, you are definitely going to continue on a cycle of poverty and poor life choices for your own children to experience. I feel for the many, many Americans that have to pay for your faulty decisions.

I never got why a young girl or boy who got pregnant and decided to raise their children, depending on charity and handouts, from all those around them, especially their own parents, begetting a self-fulfilled prophecy of idiocy is something to be proud of.

This is not to mean that young but good parents exist but your very comments here show you to be in the majority of mistakes and another failed generation.

Kelly Peterson

Posted at 12:20 AM on March 21, 2012

Ahh Jenna you said what I wanted to say and more! That was probably the most atrocious spelling and grammar I’ve seen all day. smh

erika

Posted at 8:28 PM on May 24, 2011

teej ,

i agree with you …..

abortion is murder in any way people put it and is sad that people who agree with abortion are able to conceive smh !

erika

Posted at 8:27 PM on May 24, 2011

i agree with rosa
chelsea is a murderer who is pissed off that this girls decided to keep their babies and not take the easy way out and pissed off at the fact that they are making money to support their children , somethine that chelsea could have done if she would have decided to work and raise her child not kill him/her

Kelly Peterson

Posted at 12:24 AM on March 21, 2012

Haha good one. I doubt Chelsea could’ve got fame and fortune like she has with a kid on her arm. She wasn’t ready to have a baby, and that’s okay. It’s laughable to think she’s jealous of teen mothers, kudos to Chelsea Handler.

Caroline

Posted at 5:04 PM on May 24, 2011

I am pro choice, but I don’t believe in bashing others for being pro life. I think that it is extremely important to have strong women who are not afraid of admitting choices that they have made, even if they aren’t pleasant to talk about. I also agree that shows like “Teen Mom” glamorize teen pregnancy, regardless of what they say. These girls are making poor choices and getting pregnant, and then they are rewarded with a show and all the celebrity that surrounds it.

elle

Posted at 3:30 PM on May 24, 2011

I used to really like Chelsea but in the last 6+ months I can’t seem to stand her at all. I just don’t care what she has to say. She should just go back in the shadows of the TV world and have some more vodka-vicodin-cocktails.

teej

Posted at 1:18 PM on May 24, 2011

sooo…she thinks that teen pregnancy should not be glamourized but abortion in its place? ugh. her statement makes me sick and God will deal with her one day. No life is created by mistake and for her to snuff it out without regret or second thought seems sick. This sounds so cliche but abortioin is murder, either way you cut it, this is a life….I know people do have abortions but for her to say thats what i SHOULD have done, is ignorant. JUst because you will be a teen mom does not make you incapable of being a parent.

Alli

Posted at 8:59 PM on May 24, 2011

well OBVIOUSLY some lives are created by mistake or else people wouldn’t get abortions. and it’s not a life in the first trimester. until it can live on its own, it is not considered alive (hence why abortion is always legal in the first trimester.. after there the debate on whether of not it’s “alive” is too intense). and although some teen moms can be good parents, most can’t, so it’s probably a wise decision to abort a child who would live a horrible life.

medical pro

Posted at 4:26 PM on May 25, 2011

As a medical professional, I can tell you for sure, it is a life from the time of implantation. There is a heart beat, there IS LIFE.

Rosa

Posted at 12:59 PM on May 24, 2011

If you’re that supid to be geting pregnant at 16 (not talking about rape) then you should deal with the consequences – which are taking care of the baby or letting someone else adopt it. NOT killing it because you were unable to use a condome!

Dragonfly

Posted at 1:18 PM on May 24, 2011

Judgemental, much? How do you know anything about the circumstances surrounding her teen pregnancy? It’s real easy to just call someone stupid but the only person coming off ignorant is you.

I’ve had an abortion. I was 18, in my first semester of University and had just filled my first birth control prescription. I’ll just say it took me LONG time… heck I still have regrets. But the only being I will take judgement from is the Creator. Remember him?

Rational Observer

Posted at 12:01 PM on May 24, 2011

How about this for a thought?: both are wrong. Being a teenage mother should not be rewarded and glamorized, and people shouldn’t kill their babies. But anyone seeking political or moral advise should probably skip seeing a self-absorbed unfunny comedian.