Robert Pattinson Begins Shooting 'Cosmopolis' Today — He's Finally Left 'Twilight' & Edward Cullen Behind!

Mon, May 23, 2011 3:42pm EDT by 19 Comments

Rob has been in numerous big films, but ‘Cosmopolis,’ his biggest yet, begins shooting in Toronto today!

Robert Pattinson has spent the past four years talking about how difficult it will be for him to convince people he is not actually Edward Cullen and today, May 23, is his big day! Rob has begun filming on Cosmopolis in Toronto and now needs to prove to the world he can play more than a vampire! Do you think he is up for the challenge?

The official site for Cosmopolis announced, “Cosmpolis principal photography starts today, May 23rd, in Toronto, Canada. Based on Don DeLillo’s praised novel, this highly awaited film to be directed by David Cronenberg gathered some of the most exciting stars of today’s industry, including names as Robert Pattinson, Juliette Binoche, Paul Giamatti, Samantha Morton and Kevin Durand.”

Cosmopolis tells the story of an incredibly successful banker named Eric Packer (Robert) who spends the day riding through the streets on New York City in his stretch limo to get a haircut, all the while losing millions of dollars of money for his clients as he poorly invests their money.

Director David is one of the most revered individuals working in film while Rob’s costars Juliette and Paul are both Oscar nominees, with Julia having won the prestigious award!

So HollywoodLifers, do you think Cosmopolis will make Rob an Oscar nominee?
GET NEWS ON THE BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS!

1. SEE BRITNEY’S BIG COMEBACK WITH RIHANNA!
  2. BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS — ALL THE WINNERS!
  3. RED CARPET STUNNERS AT BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS!

mary

Posted at 1:09 PM on May 26, 2011

Most movies based on books are rewritten. Hopefully, this one will be, too. The book was boring as written. Rob is going to have to be really good to bring his fans in.

Jocelyn

Posted at 10:49 AM on May 24, 2011

It is a great compliment to Rob that Cronenberg asked him to be in this. Just like the pic posted with this article showing the simmering side to Rob, he is quite capable of taking on these roles. He has a bit of a ‘bad boy’ look to him while he has a genuinely sweet and humorous personality. Rob will be versatile. This is a great role for him and he said himself he’s a fan of Cronenberg’s work so it’s exciting for him.

Michele

Posted at 10:21 AM on May 24, 2011

Absolutely Rob is up for the challenge!

He is such a great actor and I’m so glad to see him breaking free from teen roles. He reminds me so much of Johnny Depp, in career and talent.

Edward Cullen was fine as a start but Rob can do so much more with more sophisticated material. I loved him in WFE and this will be awesome. David Cronenberg is one directer I go to see his movies regardless of the actors, (although I love Viggo so win/win) and same with Rob.

What a great team Rob & David Cronenberg!

Michele

Evelyn

Posted at 9:33 AM on May 24, 2011

I wish Rob nothing but the best, he deserves it. I think he will do great things beyond Twilight. He’s a great actor. I will continue to follow his career because I’m a huge, huge fan. Love you.

phoebejames

Posted at 7:36 AM on May 24, 2011

of course he will!!! hes always a good actor :)

phoebejames

Posted at 7:33 AM on May 24, 2011

of courser he will!!! hes always a good actor :)

SRL

Posted at 7:32 AM on May 24, 2011

I am beyond excited that Robert will be playing a role which caters to his mature fans, instead of just the tweens/teens!

Jocelyn

Posted at 10:52 AM on May 24, 2011

Rob’s always had many post-teen fans. In fact, I’d say the majority are even if Twilight started out as a teen novel. The movie expanded on it and Rob has appeal of all ages. It helps that he looks and is a man.

;lkjasdf

Posted at 5:55 AM on May 24, 2011

Good luck Rob! I’m really happy for him, but on the other hand, I don’t want Twilight to end. I love Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) :D
&& Kristen Stewart too!

b.w.l

Posted at 4:30 AM on May 24, 2011

hell.
I still think of him as Cedric Diggory.
I’m just that nerdy.

asdjfkl

Posted at 5:54 AM on May 24, 2011

LIKE! (y) :D

blaugh

Posted at 10:40 PM on May 23, 2011

I love Cosmopolis! ! Finally Rob is getting away from the overated romantic roles he is sick of and picking grown up roles. Some might appeal for the romantic at heart. Haha he’s a philanderer and crude in the next 2 movies especially Cosmopolis. luv it! This will stay R rated including Bel Ami! Finally something for adults and and not the kiddies/tweens!

blaugh

Posted at 10:44 PM on May 23, 2011

sorry it will NOT appeal to those who envisions him romantically. He is too good to be boxed up and stereotype cast.

Luz Flores

Posted at 9:46 PM on May 23, 2011

I love Robert especially in Water for Elephants, but I read Cosmopolis and I did not like the book. The book is a very much R rated and I don’t know how applealing will be for his teenage followers.

bluebird

Posted at 11:12 PM on May 23, 2011

me too, i don’t like Cosmopolis

SRL

Posted at 7:25 AM on May 24, 2011

Robert is a 25 yr old man therefore I don’t think that he should have to keep playing roles that are appealling to teens. I think his teenage followers have gotten enough catering to with the Twi-Saga!

ana karen

Posted at 9:36 PM on May 23, 2011

Robert will be great as always. He is a great actor, some day he will win an oscar, you will see

Angela

Posted at 8:14 PM on May 23, 2011

Luck is for those with no talent. When it comes to talent, Rob got the lion’s share! He can act, sing, play the guitar, AND (as if that’s not enough) he can play the piano, too!! WOW! Rob will be great in Cosmopolis!!

just me

Posted at 3:52 PM on May 23, 2011

rain is a good sign so you know:) good luck, Robert!