Robert Pattinson Won't Let Fame Go To His Head — 'I Never Thought I'd Have That Kind Of Effect On Anyone!'

Fri, May 13, 2011 1:46pm EST by 9 Comments

Fame ‘just happened’ for Rob — and he’s still getting used to being in the spotlight! Can you believe he’s so down-to-earth?

After playing Edward Cullen in the Twilight series, Robert Pattinson is considered one of the world’s most desirable actors! Everywhere Rob goes, thousands of fans flock there to greet and meet him. But despite the extreme levels of fame that the 25-year-old Breaking Dawn and Water for Elephants actor has achieved, he remains as modest and sincere as the day he started acting!

“You know, seriously, I just never thought I’d have that kind of effect on anyone and I still don’t really understand it,” Rob tells the NZ Herald.

“I think the people who lose their minds are the ones who’ve been fighting to attain fame for years and years,” says Rob. “If and when they suddenly achieve it, they’re like, ‘yeah, I deserve everything I’ve got’. For me, I literally took a step in one direction, not knowing what I was doing at all. It just happened. So I can’t really claim anything.”

But Rob wouldn’t have been happy if he didn’t make it in Hollywood. “If I had come out to LA, not got a job and had to go back to London, it would have pissed me off,” Rob admits. “I wouldn’t have liked that, but I mean, this is extreme.”

When he first started out in the industry, few people knew his name. But today, R-Patz is widely popular.

“I was in New Mexico doing a road trip across the States with my friends. I didn’t get recognised at first, but then a woman recognised one of my friends because he was next to me in a paparazzi picture — from two years before,” Rob remembers. “Literally, we were in the middle of nowhere and this woman turns around and screams, ‘aren’t you Robert Pattinson’s friends?’ Then her head turned again and she looked at me.”

“She was in shock,” Rob says. “This took place at a fairground outside of nowhere and I thought we’d have to find her an ambulance, which wouldn’t have been easy.”

But even though it’s totally flattering, Rob’s still adjusting to the limelight. “It’s hard to walk down the street,” he admits. “You can’t just do it in a regular way. I have to think about my moves. I can’t just casually run out to the store to buy milk. I have to plan ahead and figure out if the paparazzi will be there.”

“I’m not complaining, but I will say, that if in 25 years’ time people are still screaming, ‘Edward!’ when they see me, I think I might murder someone,” Rob laughs.

Yet even though he may not love the fame, Rob will miss playing Edward Cullen. “I’ll be very glad not to put those contacts in anymore or have to put on the sparkling makeup, but I will really miss the character,” says Rob. “I do love the guy. I feel like I know him pretty well now.”

BFFs — do you think it’s cool that Rob’s so chill, even after all his success the past few years? Share your thoughts with us!

- Lindsey DiMattina

More R-Patz Stories:

1. Happy 25th B-Day Rob!
  2. Reese Witherspoon Calls K-Stew R-Pat’z GF!
  3. What Are R-Patz & K-Stew Doing For His B-Day!

kirami

Posted at 9:25 AM on May 15, 2011

@judith
HAHAHAHAHAHAH
I’m in the floor right now
AHAHAHAAA
a Lady Boner!!!!
that was funny

camila

Posted at 2:39 PM on May 14, 2011

that’s the first reason that I love him because he never change and I love how he is!!!!!!!!!!!!

miapattinson

Posted at 2:02 AM on May 14, 2011

I LOVE HIM AS ROB PATTINSON MORE THAN AS EDWARD.
HIS HUMILITY, KINDNESS and BEING CASUAL ENDEAR HIM IN MY HEART SO SO MUCH

Bella

Posted at 4:32 PM on May 13, 2011

The real reason he took — and got — the role was Kristen.

shawna

Posted at 2:57 PM on May 13, 2011

Even if I’d seen Robert walking down the street and he’d never done Twilight, I still would’ve thought he was hot. And at least then I would’ve had a chance to meet him. Now I’m screwed.

tamara

Posted at 2:53 PM on May 13, 2011

I agree with Kimberly. It’s sad he can’t do anything normal without being mobbed and screamed at. But you do have to know going into this business that if you have a huge hit this could happen. I’d like to know if he’d taken the role too. I think I know what he’d say but he’d want to change things too, which wouldn’t be a fair answer. I’d just like a yes or no. Regauardless, we (his fans) love him and whether he likes it or not, he’s always going to be our Edward. Sorry Rob. And Happy Birthday!

kimberly

Posted at 2:44 PM on May 13, 2011

First Happy Birthday to Rob! And then I’d like to say that I think its terrible that he can’t have any sort of normal life. I mean, I’m a huge fan but I would never bother him in public or try to follow him around. I think thats what his public apperances are for if you want to try to meet him or get an autograph. He should be able to grab some milk or walk his dog without being mobbed. Personally I’ve never had the oppertunity to see him and I’m sure its very thrilling if you do when your a fan, but he deserves his privacy. But on the other hand, this comes with the territory when you have such a big hit movie. He put a face to the Edward everyone fell in love with when they read the books. It just happen to be a gorgeous face. But he still has a right to his privacy. I feel kind of sorry for him actually. I’d like to know if he would have taken the role of Edward Cullen if he’d known everything he’d have to give up?

judith

Posted at 2:34 PM on May 13, 2011

You ladies must have a Lady Boner over Robert Pattinson, the way you’re pimping him so much.

auntpeggy7s

Posted at 2:29 PM on May 13, 2011

Have a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY..