Ellen Pompeo Fights For Trans-Racial Adoption On 'The View'

Fri, May 13, 2011 12:31pm EDT by 7 Comments

INFphoto.comThe ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ star stands up for the show’s new story line, in which Derek and Meredith adopt an African child.

The conversation between Ellen Pompeo and the ladies of The View got pretty heated yesterday, May 12, when the discussion of trans-racial adoption was brought up. What’s your take on the issue, HollyMoms?

“There’s got to be a strength brought to this issue,” Ellen, who is the mother of a bi-racial baby, Stella Luna, with husband Chris Avery, explains.

She admits that she was the driving force behind a new Grey’s Anatomy story line, which has her character Meredith Grey and Patrick Dempsey‘s, Derek Sheperd, move forward with plans to adopt an African child.

“We really have to tell this story right,” Ellen says. “We have to be strong, we have to show hope. We have to offer something to people who are relating to this.”

And considering Ellen relates to this personally, she got a little defensive when Whoopi Goldberg asked her if there was any racial backlash from Meredith and Derek being white parents to a black baby.

“No one can say anything to me because I had a baby of color,” replies Ellen, showing her annoyance with the topic as they disputed why there should be a distinction made.

“The separation doesn’t get us any closer to anything,” she says, adding that the NAACP Awards shouldn’t exist, there should just be a “Peoples’ Awards.”

Earlier that morning, Ellen was on Good Morning America, where she stated, “It’s so important for those women who have come up to me and been brave enough to share their stories with me. I fight for the story line to be realistic, to be genuine, and to be something of a ray of hope for women. I’m trying very hard.”

What’s your take on this issue, HollyMoms? Share your thoughts below.

–Leigh Blickley

More On Adoption!

1. ‘Biggest Loser’s’ Jillian Michaels Set To Adopt A Baby From The Congo! Congrats!
  2. Angelina Jolie: My Kids Are My Toughest Critics — She’s Just Like Us!
  3. Woman Pretends To Be Pregnant To Con Desperate Couples In Adoption Scam!

Lily

Posted at 10:46 AM on January 9, 2012

The only negative thing I can think of when two white parents adopt a black child is that everybody knows he or she is adopted. That may or may not be a problem, depending on the child and parents, but some children don’t like having some people know their history, or ask them things like “when were you adopted?” “what happened to your biological parents?”, etc.
Obviously that wouldn’t be a problem if the parents and the child were the same colour, but it’s more of a personal issue than a racial one. Adopting is noble and it shouldn’t matter if your parents are biologically yours or not, we’re all people. Some members of society can make things difficult, though.

Maxine

Posted at 1:08 PM on June 5, 2011

I am the mother of two mixed children, my husband is black and I am white. No one I know has a problem with our life choices, they see us as a loving family and we adore our children. I would rather see my children raised by a loving family than have them be placed in a visually correct family who don’t care about them. The parents who care about the children in their lives will take the time to educate themselves about the childs background and race and pass the tools along to the kids.

Jgirl

Posted at 9:53 AM on May 14, 2011

I get where the tension comes from but I personally think its ridiculous. If a responsible adult wants to provide a loving and safe home for a child who was likely living in an underfunded and overcrowded orphanage, the foster system, or whatever then who cares what color they are? Somebody who chooses to adopt should be praised for helping a child in need, not chastised for picking the “wrong” color baby.

free

Posted at 4:25 PM on May 13, 2011

What a stupid, self serving woman. She is not talking about interracial adoption.
Like white women usually do, she is talking about whites (especially white women) adopting non-white kids and white women dating non-white men. THAT IS WHAT THEY MEAN AND ARE FIGHTING FOR! Everything else is in theory. All of these racial unity fights are self serving.
BTW- having sex with a black man or having a mixed child doesn’t make you an expert on race or blacks!
How ridiculous that a Hollywood actress who works in an industry where race, age, and even weight- can determine whether you work or are represented -can claim that there is no need for the NAACP awards (I assume because we are all the same and are treated and seen by society and media as the same).

Mesera

Posted at 2:18 PM on May 14, 2011

AMEN! I was just reading this and thinking the same thing.

hris

Posted at 1:37 AM on April 22, 2012

You make some very good points. I wonder if the white husbands are as thrilled about those adoptions as the white women. Cuck hubbies.

Laura

Posted at 3:23 PM on May 13, 2011

i think this is a great idea, it should be brought to light more often.
i am only 20, but it has been my dream for over 7 years now to adopt a baby from asia when i am ready for a child.
there is absolutely nothing wrong with a white mother and a “baby of colour”