'Vampire Diaries' Star Daniel Gillies Admits There's 'Sexual Tension' Between Elena & Elijah! Do You See It Too?

Thu, May 12, 2011 4:09pm EDT by 24 Comments

Let’s forget Damon & Stefan for a minute. The show’s new will-they-won’t-they couple is totally Elena & Elijah.

The idea of a romantic relationship between Elena (Nina Dobrev) and Klaus‘ brother Elijah (Daniel Gillies) on The Vampire Diaries might seem crazy at first, but take a minute to really chew it over. There’s a spark, and you know it. Daniel knows it too, and he recently revealed to HollywoodLife.com that he’s a total Elena-Elijah shipper. “It’s dangerous,” Daniel admits, “But I think there’s something intoxicating about the combination of Elena’s purity and Elijah’s ancient resonance.”

Daniel says he finds the pairing to be “exciting and interesting,” and that it works on multiple levels.

“She represents something magnificent to him, something he doesn’t see very often in people,” he tells us. “The fans are right; There’s a resistance and a purity, and the sexual tension becomes pyre between them. Perhaps people think Elena looks safe around him. It’s the same reason people want to see her with Damon, but it’s on a different level, because Elijah’s got an older spirit.”

Daniel says he was surprised, at first, to hear that so many fans like the idea of Elena getting with Elijah: “I thought it might seem creepy,” he admits, “because I’m [13 years] older than her.”

But I’m pretty sure Elena’s “daddy issues” are thoroughly established at this point.

Follow Andy on Twitter for more ‘Vampire Diaries’ scoop

trina

Posted at 1:20 AM on August 11, 2013

l agree that eligah should go with eligah

Erin

Posted at 7:50 PM on March 4, 2012

There is tension between them, its obvious, but I’ve recently got the feeling after the episode ‘All My Children’ there really probably won’t be a Elijah-Elena relation ship…atleast not soon, and if there is, won’t it be just a little creepy seeing Elijah making out with Elena? In real life, that would be just a little creepy and a tad gross, not that Daniel Gillies isn’t good looking, he is, but he’s older than Nina, so it would be an odd professional relationship as well.

Elejah

Posted at 4:55 PM on March 28, 2012

Perhaps if Elijah waited until Elena got older? Cause if she gets too old for the Salvatores they might not want her ;) And she does need some single time. I think what the fans wanna see now is only just some affection (maybe a hug or a kiss on the cheek, personally I’m fine with that little).

In all honesty, if she herself does not become a vampire in time, she can’t be with any of them. And Elijah lost intrest in Katerina once she became a vampire. It’s all so bittersweet now that I think about it ._.

infidel

Posted at 10:19 PM on June 9, 2012

Well Ian is only two years younger than Daniel, so I don’t think it’s any different. Are Ian and Nina creepy and gross?

Plus, I know several people in relationships with someone a decade or more older than them and it’s not at all “creepy” or “gross”.

blair

Posted at 3:21 AM on September 29, 2012

ok, i know this is totally late in coming but in a tv show you think more about how you like the characters together not the actors and the actors just do what they gotta do ya know? besides lol he’s only like 2 and a half years older than the guy she’s dating in real life.

Naomase

Posted at 5:00 PM on February 7, 2012

There is definately a sexual tension between them,at least i have seen it in Elijah’s eyes. IMO,i don’t think there would be anything between,bcoz Elena’s life is far too complicated,and he would be in a competition for her love.

R

Posted at 12:36 PM on October 14, 2011

You know what would be the funnest part of them together (at least for me), you couldn’t make some silly monkier our of their names. No Delena or whatever. Elijah and Elena….will just come out…Elijah or Elena! Ha!

pradeep

Posted at 4:34 PM on July 22, 2011

ya.. i totaly luv dm seeing togethr becas elijah s gud.

elina

Posted at 2:10 PM on May 19, 2011

sii elena y elijahhhh!!!!!!!…los amoo

Sam

Posted at 11:19 AM on May 15, 2011

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who saw this. I was kinda scared to admit that I ship Elijah/Elena. Heres to someone taking the dagger out next season!

Ava

Posted at 2:31 PM on May 15, 2011

I don’t blame you, there are far too many crazy shippers in this fandom and they suffer from tunnel vision. Everything is from one point of view and everyone/everything else is wrong. It’s really off putting for some fans. Elena/Elijah is a little haven of objectivity;)

Team Delena4ever

Posted at 10:33 AM on May 14, 2011

I think Elijah looks really nice with Katherine, he did once had feelings for her

Brenda Itehua

Posted at 8:24 AM on May 13, 2011

REALLY that would be cooll but she is 2 young

me

Posted at 9:28 PM on May 12, 2011

(SPILER ALERT)
LOL It’s funny how this is totally irrelevant now that Elijah’s DEAD! :)
DELENA Kiss *woot woot*

Andy

Posted at 11:48 AM on May 13, 2011

lol i know right?! when i saw klaus stab him, two things popped into my head:

1. damn! i miss him already

and

2. damn! that whole interview was pointless now.

Lily

Posted at 1:09 PM on May 13, 2011

Umm not really. He’s only dagger dead. Not dead dead. He’ll be back next season!

Kiren

Posted at 4:44 PM on May 14, 2011

But I’m positive he’s not gonna stay dead, no way in hell!
Elena+Elijah <3

Teesha

Posted at 9:03 PM on May 12, 2011

Wtf?! I don’t see it at all.. Maybe it’s because I’m totally for Elena and Damon. But, still.. I don’t see it.

Victoria

Posted at 6:34 PM on May 12, 2011

They are so spose to be together. But I love Damon so much more then elijah.so fuck elijah because Damon and elena should really be togethe

Eden

Posted at 5:59 PM on May 12, 2011

Okay, I will admit that there may be something there between Elena and Elijah but let’s be realistic here. She is 17 and he look about in his 30s. I don’t really see anything beyond what they already have. And second, Elijah is a douche! He totally back stabbed Stefan, Elena and Damon! They all trusted him and then he turned around and betrayed them!
In other words… It’s not going to happen.
Sorry to all the Elena/Elijah shippers… I’m just voicing my opinion…

Kiren

Posted at 4:47 PM on May 14, 2011

That age different doesn’t really matter. Hellcats – another CW show- has Marti and Julian, a student and her law professor as their main couple – As long as their a hot commodity, this age difference is practically irrelevant. And I think Elena of all people would understand Elijah’s motive for betraying them. She is the same way, she would do anything for her family. That doesn’t make him a douche. It makes him vulnerable.

Caro

Posted at 4:53 PM on May 12, 2011

It’s so obvious there’s something there. Elijah/Elena became my all-time OTP in the span of a month, partly because of the insane chemistry between the characters.

Lily

Posted at 4:43 PM on May 12, 2011

It’s definitely there. I can’t see it ever happening with ‘The Triangle’ in full swing but development of their relationship (in any form) would be very welcome. Their connection is very different to any of the other relationships on the show. It’s something fresh and untainted by the angst that follows Damon/Elena/Stefan. And I don’t mind either of those relationships.

Andy

Posted at 5:14 PM on May 12, 2011

That’s true. There is a lot of angst between fans in the D/E/S triangle. Time for some new blood! ;-)