Kirstin At 'Idol:' Haley Reinhart Thinks It's Unfair The Judges Rag On Her, But I Think Her Attitude Stinks!

Thu, May 12, 2011 7:00pm EDT by 205 Comments

The judges didn’t like Haley Reinhart’s first song on ‘American Idol’ May 11, but that didn’t warrant her snotty behavior! An attitude like that will cost her the competition!

Haley Reinhart is one tough girl from Chicago, who has more trouble taking criticism than anyone on American Idol this season. After she sang Michael Jackson‘s “Earth Song” May 11, the judges criticized her song choice and her performance, but she wasn’t having it. In fact, the 20-year-old singer look like she wanted to punch someone — and I don’t think America is going to respond kindly to her attitude.

It’s not attractive to watch a kid talk back to three of the most accomplished pop musicians in the world. Who does she think she is? It’s one thing to go home and complain about the judges’ notes, but it’s a whole other ball game to stand in front of millions of people with a scowl on your face. The best part is she wasn’t remorseful in the slightest. After the show, Haley told reporters backstage she was angry with the judges and felt mistreated.

Here’s her rant:

“You know, I’m not going to crack. As much as they might want me to or try to or whatever it is, I’m not going to. And I think they know that I can be very strong-willed and everything else and that’s why they do it to me. They did say, ‘You know we do this to you because we know what’s in you. You can take it. We want to hear everything that’s in you.’ I take that in stride. I realize it. I accept it, try to.”

She didn’t stop there:

“I mean, everyone else gets good feedback and they really let me have it. They don’t hold back to me. They never have, never will. And you know, that song is just downright inspiring and emotional and it’s a beautiful thing. So, no matter what, that hit me to the heart. It got me a little bit. Hey, it’s a show. We’re doing what we can and I’m staying strong here.”

Don’t get me wrong; I love Haley’s voice. Honestly, I think she’s the best vocalist left on the show. However, the chip on her shoulder is enough for me retract my vote of confidence. James Durbin, Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina NEVER talk back to the judges when they get notes. They accept and move on, which is the professional thing to do.

Do YOU think Haley gets picked on too much by the judges? Did her attitude rub you the wrong way too? Sound off below!

Loading video...

GET MORE ON AMERICAN IDOL!:

1. Pia Toscano Parties With Her Dog
  2. American Idol Shocking Moments!
  3. Should Pia Date Mark Ballas?

Steph

Posted at 2:00 AM on May 13, 2011

The problem is most of the people voting are also young Americans who, from what I see, talk back and are disrespectful. That being said most of them wont see what Haley did as wrong because it’s normal to them as sad as that is. In the competition right now they shouldn’t be getting criticized so much and they aren’t all making the mistakes that Haley is making. I think she should be more graceful because honestly she should not be feeling entitled and like she knows more than the judges. Honestly she’s just another unbearable diva in the making.

atticus

Posted at 10:26 PM on May 12, 2011

Haley just took herself out of the competition because she doesn’t know how to receive constructive criticism. She proved she is all about “herself,” and that makes her very unattractive. It’s the total package that gets the win, Haley. You lost my vote, and all my constituents’ votes, in one fail swoop. You’re due the obloquies–Haley! Huge cost on this lesson. I hope you use the lesson for good in your life; don’t blame others; step up to the plate and be a woman of character.

Well

Posted at 5:32 AM on May 13, 2011

she did take the CONSTRUCRTIVE criticism that came from Gaga since it was actually fair and helpful and she used it without any qualm

Miguel

Posted at 2:54 AM on June 30, 2011

She has plenty of character. People try to defame her because they’re threatened by her looks, confidence and intelligence — not to mention her singing ability.

Don’t think we haven’t noticed how people like you find fault with everything but the latter. That’s very convenient. Your “constituents” are a bunch of fools to follow the lead of someone like yourself.

As for Haley not being receptive constructive criticism, here’s what her vocal coach had to say:

“Jimmy Iovine said in one of the sessions — I don’t know if it aired — but he said, ‘People don’t understand what a good singer you are.’ It just bothered him. ‘People really don’t understand you’re an amazing singer here.’ I was so happy he said that. The judges acknowledged that she’s grown so much during this process, and that was a nice acknowledgment.”

Her vocal coach — a 10-year AI veteran — also said this about her performance of Earth Song: “I have to laugh [about Randy and Jennifer’s criticisms).”

tyler

Posted at 9:49 PM on May 12, 2011

i dont think james deserved to go home tonight. lauren did, yes she can sing but shes not even close to hitting those high notes, not like haley or james. she just holds back and im getting real sick of it. and if i was haley i would have said so much more to randy for saying that, i thing she handled it really well.

Halebop

Posted at 9:29 PM on May 12, 2011

Wow….James Durbin gone? :(
I noticed Haley smiling again like she did when Pia got the boot. Scotty for the win now just so Haley doesnt.

gbtw

Posted at 10:03 AM on May 13, 2011

in fairness, i think she’s smiling and/or having weird reactions up there b/c every week she expects to go home b/c of how randy and j.lo. treat her compared to the other contestants. she’s surprised and or thinking, to randy/j.lo, “take that, m’er f’ers”… i don’t think she’s ever smirking b/c somebody is gone. and, please, get over pia… she was okay, but the hype was unwarranted. just okay, for me dawg…

antone

Posted at 8:38 PM on May 12, 2011

Haley acts like a diva already, and she hasn’t even made it yet. She needs to sit her azz down and stfu.

Miguel

Posted at 2:57 AM on June 30, 2011

You would do well to take your own advice.

nora

Posted at 8:35 PM on May 12, 2011

I used to like haley, but she acts like such a brat, I’m over her now. Team James, at least he has a sense of humor about himself on top of being talented!

simonsays

Posted at 8:12 PM on May 12, 2011

people say that the other contestants dont get the criticism that haley gets and they’re right. it still does not change the fact that she has a terrible chip on her shoulder. if she took the comments from the judges better (even if she does not deserve them) the VOTERS would sympathize with her and like her better. you catch more flies with honey, haley.

Well

Posted at 5:34 AM on May 13, 2011

Randy told JLo he was NOT rooting for Haley and then they laugh and this right in front of her as she finishes her song the other week, so maybe she had a right to feel picked on and upset and hurt.

It is true that honey usually works better and people crucify people for pointing out injustice, however warranted.

yeahright

Posted at 8:09 PM on May 12, 2011

You people making the comments are hilarious. Wow, Haley sure brings out the emotions – good and bad! in people.

Max

Posted at 6:41 PM on May 12, 2011

haley has the biggest attitude problem of any american idol contestant ever..what is her problem??? how does she think she has the right to talk back to three extremely successful judges.wow i was shocked when i watched the show..she is just showing she does not have the professionalism needed to last in the business..send her home!!!!

xanite

Posted at 6:10 PM on May 12, 2011

Ok you all that are going on about the other three not talking back and showing respect. That might fit the Two for them not James .Thats think back to when James flat out told Jimmy I will not listen to you and sing that song. That was rude.I don’t think they should vote off anyone this week cause of how rude the judges where to Haley .. And wasn’t rude of Randy to laugh at the head of the show saying what you want me to do?

saywhat???

Posted at 8:17 PM on May 12, 2011

Oh puleeeeeeze. What a ridiculous comment. The judges were not even close to be being “mean” to Haley. Gimme a break.

Well

Posted at 5:37 AM on May 13, 2011

Really? So the isolated mic (people filtered out the crowd so you could hear him) on Randy recorder hims aying he was rooting against her and then it sounded like him and JLo laughing as she is standing on stage is not being mean??
Even Steven seemed to get pissed by this week about it all and even called him out in interview a bit.

Miguel

Posted at 3:02 AM on June 30, 2011

There’s a difference between “mean” and “unfair.” To objective observers, it’s clear they were trying to influence the voting because early on Idol had committed to various scripts that didn’t include Haley being there late in the season.

Watch Michael Slezak’s TVLine interview with her for insight.

gbtw

Posted at 6:10 PM on May 12, 2011

wow kirstin. you hit pay-dirt on this one. congratulations. so, now can we take down pia’s pictures and replace them with haley’s? ;)

hahaha

Posted at 8:13 PM on May 12, 2011

Man…it’s a toss up who is worse. Haley or Pia for diva of the season!

gbtw

Posted at 10:06 AM on May 13, 2011

i don’t even know if pia was a diva, but her FANS were! thank you to whomever took her pics down… :)

anya

Posted at 5:24 PM on May 12, 2011

Haley needs to leave this week, her attitude has overshadowed her great voice unfortunately and I’m over her.

jenny

Posted at 5:16 PM on May 12, 2011

This is hilarious, you are worse at re-writing history that the cheerleader judges, bet you don’t actually watch the program.

“James Durbin, Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina NEVER talk back to the judges when they get notes. They accept and move on, which is the professional thing to do”

A better remark might be “James Durbin, Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina NEVER get criticism from the judges”

toad

Posted at 8:15 PM on May 12, 2011

She watches the program. She is there in the audience every week. Where are you??? When you are there in person you see a lot more than what you see on t.v. Just because someone has a different opinion than yours does not mean they don’t know what they are talking about. Lame.

Miguel

Posted at 3:04 AM on June 30, 2011

What do you think of Michael Slezak’s post-season interview with Haley?

ANTHONYJOSEPH22

Posted at 5:05 PM on May 12, 2011

Ok, Fresh look on it. HALEY has recieved 3 standing ovations. She has the talent and they know it. They do have something on her, Like Haley said, it was imspirational song week and that song is beautiful no matter what. If they were making a comment to any of the others she’d put a soft sweet twist at the end to Lauren, or Scotty because they’re young saying, I didn’t like, it I don’t think it suited you, but it is a great inspirational song and you look good tonight. They don’t even do any nice comment to her and that is I think what upsets her. It’s just push, push, push, no sort of like niceness. I think they all are talented, really I do but I think they’re sweet and sensitive to the young ones, and always sensitive to the uber emotional James Durbin. Haley has a tough exterior and they try to break her.

jess

Posted at 4:54 PM on May 12, 2011

Well for one thine, Scotty, James and Lauren never talk back to the judges because they are never criticized. You used the phrase ‘take notes’ but really you should have said ‘the other contestants never talk back to the judges when they fall all over themselves to praise and coddle them.’ The issue is fairness and it is 100% understandable and praiseworthy for Haley to stand up for herself instead of letting the judges walk all over her. Just because they are ‘three of the most accomplished pop musicians in the world’ doesn’t mean they have the right to be downright nasty to people.

Jamez

Posted at 4:49 PM on May 12, 2011

I dont know, but the writer of this ‘article’ is clearly stupid.

‘scotty, jacob, and lauren NEVER talk back to the judges…which professional thing to do’ legit hun? Maybe cause the judges dont say anytthing rude/mean/negative. AND YOU CAN’T DENY! THEY DESERVE IT JUST AS MUCH AS,(if not more than) HALEY DOES. You’re bias. End of stpry, all I know is at the END of the day this show is a popularity contest, that is corrupted. Its funny how you act she is a HORRIBLE person! If jennifer lopez, or randy, eversaid something as rude/mean/negative to me, I would react QUITE similarly.

Stop drinking the ‘hator-ade’ and lay off the best singer ever.

yeahright

Posted at 8:07 PM on May 12, 2011

Funny how you say the writer of this article is clearly biased. You obviously don’t read her other AI articles. She’s been a Haley supporter! She even said in this article that she thinks Haley is the best singer on the show! She doesn’t like her ATTITUDE. That doesn’t mean she doesn’t like Haley or her singing. Who here is “clearly stupid”????

Mariah

Posted at 4:46 PM on May 12, 2011

dear haley: Mariah Carey from 1990 called. She wants her hair back.

Aspen

Posted at 5:55 PM on May 12, 2011

her hair is gorgeous

star

Posted at 2:03 AM on May 13, 2011

THIS is too funny! Love it!

Miguel

Posted at 3:11 AM on June 30, 2011

Janis Joplin, Elton John and Robert Plant want their voices back.

You?

You want your self-respect back.

First step towards that: give up hating people because they’re prettier and more successful than you.

crara

Posted at 4:45 PM on May 12, 2011

hailey is talented but not as talented as she thinks she is. She’s made a lot of mistakes over the last couple months in terms of song choices and stylistic choices that have hindered her from being a real front runner. She has the talent to be the front runner, but she has yet to understand what songs work best for her voice, and she’s still a little weak on performing. Jennifer Lopez hit it right on target about what Haley is doing wrong, and why she continues to be in the bottom 2 or 3 almost every week. Maybe if Haley listened more and stopped being so sensitive and defensive, she’d learn something.

xanite

Posted at 6:06 PM on May 12, 2011

Ok first thing Heley was the front runner last weeks so I won’t even read the rest of ur crap you wrote .

John

Posted at 4:31 PM on May 12, 2011

She makes me sick

joey

Posted at 3:59 PM on May 12, 2011

I completely agree. And why didn’t listen to the judges advice on singing unlnown songs—-Not many Idols runner-ups make it too far beyond the show. If she hangs on, someone tell her to get it together at least until the camera is off

courtney

Posted at 3:42 PM on May 12, 2011

I love Haleys voice, but her immature attitude has lost my vote. Anytime they have given her feedback she hasn’t liked it has been written ALL over her face. It makes her look ungrateful and its so unappealing. Very dissapointed because I love her voice..

Paul

Posted at 4:57 PM on May 12, 2011

why is it considered immature to stand up for yourself? It takes a lot of courage and guts to stand up there on the stage week after week and bearing with the judges dumping all over you while over-praising the other contestants even though they were (more than once) off-tune, off-key or lacking in emotion. Have you ever considered the fact that she looks upset because they ALWAYS criticize her regardless of whether she does good or bad? I think it’s more than understandable and reasonable for this to have some effect on her so kudos to Haley for sticking up for herself instead of just grinning and bearing it like you seem to expect her to do.

Natalee

Posted at 3:41 PM on May 12, 2011

Haley is completely awful! Her voice is terrible… all she does is scream and growl. I’m shocked that she made it into the Top Twelve. I mean the girl was in the bottom three every week in the beginning. How is she still here? She’s not even likeable. American Idol needs to change their voting system. The show is getting so boring.

Paul

Posted at 4:58 PM on May 12, 2011

Are you serious? All Haley does is scream and growl? Have you even listened to James Durbin sing? oh wait let me correct myself …have you even listened to James Durbin sing off-tune and scream through the rest of the song?

Miguel

Posted at 3:13 AM on June 30, 2011

You don’t know much about anything. You don’t even know yourself.

DQ

Posted at 3:37 PM on May 12, 2011

I think that Haley has been the only contestant who has received any negative critiques at all and she is now the best singer left(even Lauren agrees). I don’t think that I (or Haley for that matter) would mind the negative constructive criticism if it was doled out to the others in equal measure. James is full of himself these days and gets big production numbers even though he is over/under the note a lot. Scotty has been consistently doing pretty well except his last performance was hokey and Simon would have told him so.

debi

Posted at 3:31 PM on May 12, 2011

i’m glad someone is calling haley on her attitude…most blogs seem to be defending her. all i know is that james has been it for me from day 1 but i can see any of the top 4 winning it all!

Al Oak

Posted at 3:10 PM on May 12, 2011

For those who believe Haley was treated unfairly, did you vote for her because of it?

Colette

Posted at 3:19 PM on May 12, 2011

I honestly love Haley, but she is way too defensive. It turned me off complelety to her. Now, I am all for James because he is a great preformer and he has a great attitude to boot! I love this season but im sad to see the way Haley is turning out to be. This was the first week I didn’t vote for her because of the puss on her face the whole show.