Kirstin At 'Idol:' Haley Reinhart Thinks It's Unfair The Judges Rag On Her, But I Think Her Attitude Stinks!

Thu, May 12, 2011 7:00pm EDT by 205 Comments

The judges didn’t like Haley Reinhart’s first song on ‘American Idol’ May 11, but that didn’t warrant her snotty behavior! An attitude like that will cost her the competition!

Haley Reinhart is one tough girl from Chicago, who has more trouble taking criticism than anyone on American Idol this season. After she sang Michael Jackson‘s “Earth Song” May 11, the judges criticized her song choice and her performance, but she wasn’t having it. In fact, the 20-year-old singer look like she wanted to punch someone — and I don’t think America is going to respond kindly to her attitude.

It’s not attractive to watch a kid talk back to three of the most accomplished pop musicians in the world. Who does she think she is? It’s one thing to go home and complain about the judges’ notes, but it’s a whole other ball game to stand in front of millions of people with a scowl on your face. The best part is she wasn’t remorseful in the slightest. After the show, Haley told reporters backstage she was angry with the judges and felt mistreated.

Here’s her rant:

“You know, I’m not going to crack. As much as they might want me to or try to or whatever it is, I’m not going to. And I think they know that I can be very strong-willed and everything else and that’s why they do it to me. They did say, ‘You know we do this to you because we know what’s in you. You can take it. We want to hear everything that’s in you.’ I take that in stride. I realize it. I accept it, try to.”

She didn’t stop there:

“I mean, everyone else gets good feedback and they really let me have it. They don’t hold back to me. They never have, never will. And you know, that song is just downright inspiring and emotional and it’s a beautiful thing. So, no matter what, that hit me to the heart. It got me a little bit. Hey, it’s a show. We’re doing what we can and I’m staying strong here.”

Don’t get me wrong; I love Haley’s voice. Honestly, I think she’s the best vocalist left on the show. However, the chip on her shoulder is enough for me retract my vote of confidence. James Durbin, Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina NEVER talk back to the judges when they get notes. They accept and move on, which is the professional thing to do.

Do YOU think Haley gets picked on too much by the judges? Did her attitude rub you the wrong way too? Sound off below!

Loading video...

GET MORE ON AMERICAN IDOL!:

1. Pia Toscano Parties With Her Dog
  2. American Idol Shocking Moments!
  3. Should Pia Date Mark Ballas?

Fun

Posted at 7:34 AM on April 16, 2012

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to claim that I get in fact enjoyed account your weblog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing in your augment or even I success you get entry to consistently rapidly.

Andy

Posted at 1:58 AM on September 14, 2011

This is ridiculous.
I highly doubt Haley would have responded that way had the judges actually treated everyone the same, instead of isolating her. Lauren consistantly missed her high notes, Scotty never stepped out of his comfort zone, James was often pitchy and screamy especially Top 5 and Top 4 nights, Jacob’s “No Air” was possibly the worst performance on the Idol stage ever, and what did they all get? Almost no criticism, and if there was criticism, it was a gentle slap on the hand.

Randy was basically slapping her in her face with how badly he was treating her performance. Was it her best? Not by any means. But maybe they should take into consideration that Haley was the most diverse, and had at least the best 5 performances of the year, and some of the best of all time.

I would have “attitude” too if I was being so isolated and mistreated. That wasn’t constructive criticism, that was just bashing her. She was sweet and funny until the judges started bashing her and ignoring the others’ flaws. That’s not called “attitude”, that’s called sticking up for what is right and believing in yourself.

Miguel

Posted at 1:24 AM on June 30, 2011

One more thing.

You wouldn’t have had that backstage “rant” if they hadn’t pulled that stunt of calling all the contestants back on stage just to have Randy pointedly say everyone won the first round but Haley.

Here’s what her AI vocal coach — a 10-year AI veteran — had to say about that:

“I have to laugh [about Randy Jackson and Jennifer Lopez's criticisms]…It’s tough, especially when there are four [contestants], and you sing your face off, and you’re the one that’s told, ‘Ehh, everybody was great except you.’ Her skin is getting tougher, and I have to say we have a lot of talks about this. It’s a learning process for her as it would be for anyone who’s going through that kind of thing. It’s not like she folds and crumbles. It becomes a fighter’s mentality and I applaud for her it. Because you either do that or you die. Those are your choices. And she has no plans of dying on the vine.”

So get that through your minds. She’s a fighter, not a brat or a b*tch.

Attitude?

Posted at 9:51 PM on June 24, 2011

Most accomplished pop stars? WHAT. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. You know NOTHING about music. Kate Benson, you are a MORON. KILL YOURSELF. and by the way… Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina wouldnt know what artistry is if it bit them in the butt. and neither do you.

Martha

Posted at 7:21 PM on May 21, 2011

I could not stand her voice, but her attitude was even worst. The look in her face when she was eliminated was an indication of the type of person she is. She will fail in the music business.

Miguel

Posted at 1:57 AM on June 30, 2011

Haley was perceived as being worthy of condemnation because:

1) She is attractive.

2) She didn’t have a sorrowful face whenever a contestant was eliminated.

Did you notice Lauren’s look when Haley was eliminated? The big smile? The jumping up and down? The clapping?

Why not? Because you did the same?

The truth is you hated her because you’re an insecure woman. That’s the type of person you are. Unless you change, you’ll fail in life.

Aly

Posted at 3:11 PM on May 20, 2011

I completely disagree. We barely know the contestants outside of the few clips that they selectively edit, so it isn’t fair to rag on her attitude when, for all we know, she’s being edited to sound that way.

Also – Lauren, James and Scotty never had any reason to talk back when they got “notes.” They never get ANY negative criticism. Lauren can miss some of the power notes on songs, and Scotty can be boring and NEVER step outside of his genre, while Haley gives fantastic performances and gets criticised harshly on her SONG CHOICES, of all things. It almost seems as if J. Lo and Randy are trying to find anything about her to criticize, and it’s baffling.

I commend her for keeping her head up high and coming back with an amazing second performance that night. Even if she didn’t win, I will buy any songs that she puts out.

Ana

Posted at 1:07 PM on May 20, 2011

this is sooo wrong. of course lauren and james and scotty don’t say anything back….the judges never say anything mean to begin with! if you guys remember when lauren sang any man of mine they tried critiquing her and she POUTED. i would prefer her to speak back than to act like a child. and haley, EVERY WEEK she gets critiqued, how can you say she’s horrible at taking it?? just cuz she decided enough is enough???

Kyla

Posted at 11:44 AM on May 19, 2011

Holy cow, all she does is complain— James even said on one of the interview things at the beginning of season that Haley was a “Brat” his words. And I can see it. Anytime she gets criticism she barks back… she is too cocky and shouldn’t be an “idol” for anyone’s behavior. I hope she gets voted off tonight just for that.

Miguel

Posted at 1:28 AM on June 30, 2011

James was badmouthing other contestants at the beginning of the season? That says a lot about him. P.S. – Next time post a link to support your accusations.

Gail

Posted at 2:42 AM on May 19, 2011

I completely disagree. I think the judges have ragged on Haley week after week. Lauren, who is an inferior singer to Haley, gets consistently good reviews from the judges. I don’t think Haley’s response was inappropriate. I thought she was standing up for herself after weeks of being the main one to have SOMETHING criticized. Now that James is gone (my favorite) Haley rises above.

Kat

Posted at 5:16 PM on May 16, 2011

I don’t like Haley’s screaming and caterwauling at all. I am not a fan of her singing. I hope Scotty or Lauren wins.

Kyla

Posted at 11:44 AM on May 19, 2011

Amen.

Renaissance

Posted at 8:13 AM on May 15, 2011

Ok, I’ve read all I can bare.

First of all, yes, it was stupid of her to react that way. But seriously? You guys are actually this petty to make such a huge deal about it? Have you never reacted to anything badly in your life? She is only human, as is the rest of them.

Randies comment of “It being a tie between the 3 of them” was stupid and insensitive to say the least, obviously it wasn’t a tie and he could have spent 5 seconds to come to an actual conclusion instead of simply saying that Haley was inferior. I’d be pissed if I was her too.

Oh and, you wrote “three of the most accomplished pop musicians in the world”

Firstly, she only argued with 2 of them and secondly are you kidding me? Have you listened to Jennifer Lopez’s new song? It’s like a kids panthomime combined with cliché’s and pandering to an already dumbed down audience. Since when is Randy one of the worlds most accomplished pop musicians?

You are just clueless, petty and from what I can tell jealous of anyone who actually accomplished anything in their life unlike you.

Cabbie

Posted at 9:13 AM on May 19, 2011

Calm down, Haley.

Drake

Posted at 5:24 PM on May 19, 2011

Who do you think YOU are? Did you seriously write an entire article about how bad it is for a girl to stand up for herself? It was a little snobby but she is the best performer and singer on Season 10 and maybe one of the best they’ve ever seen and she continually gets criticized for amazing performances. It’s good that Steven Tyler is on the show because he sees how amazing this girl is and you can tell that he loves her. I completely disagree with you and obviously, it didn’t cost her the competition.

Kara

Posted at 12:54 AM on May 20, 2011

Randy was in Journey which is possibly one of the most popular bands in the world and the essence of Pop music. However I agree JLo’s new stuff is awful, she is still a platinum recording artist which is more than Haley can say.

All in all, they girl has no right to respond to THESE people in a way that makes it seem like she thinks she knows more about music than they do. She simply doesnt.

She is cocky, snobby and arrogant. Her remarks to the judges arent all that gives her this vibe. Her face when others get eliminated, her divaness when she was on her home town tour and her inability to be humble all made people hate her.

If shed come down off her high horse a little, she wouldve won this thing. Admittedly she has a better voice than Lauren or Scotty, but I still refused to vote for her.

Miguel

Posted at 1:44 AM on June 30, 2011

Randy was in Journey. So long ago, one of my favorite memories is of the junior-varsity cheerleaders at my high school singing along to “Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’” in the cafeteria 32 years ago. Somewhere along the line, he sold his soul because James’ performance was not worthy of comparison to “the great Steve Perry.”

Haley has the right to respond to Randy’s remarks because his criticism is off-base (see my comments above). And, at some point, she came to realize his commentary was biased and unfounded (she’s from a family of musicians and has been performing for 2/3 of her life). Many suspect the general storyline of Idol is scripted from the start and her rise from “cannon fodder” to potential finalist upset the script.

As Michael Slezak noted, Idol’s attitude towards her was (paraphrasing) “You’ve overstayed your welcome, so what are you doing hanging out at the piano and having a good time?”

Kayla

Posted at 9:17 PM on February 7, 2012

Popular? Never heard of it.hmmmm

chris

Posted at 11:22 PM on May 14, 2011

Well now we all know for sure that American idol is a joke. How anyone could pick Haley over James goes to show the show is corrupt. Haley squeaks, and yells and is an awkward girl. This is not a high school stage show. This is a singing competition, thank goodness for Simon doing a new show, James will have his own band and will be the Rock Star that he is. We will not waste our time watching this kiddie show called American Idol.

Kami

Posted at 3:40 PM on May 20, 2011

Of course AI is basically a joke . It’s so fake a moron can see through it. Look at how Adam Lambert lost out to Kris Allen… Kris who? Look at how Chrystal Bowersox lost out to Lee DeWyze… Lee who?
Adam Lambert is now a huge success and nobody even hears of Kris Allen. At least I’ve seen Chrystal Bowersox on a few shows but I’ve never since heard anything on Lee DeWyze.
American Idol is nothing more than a popularity contest based mostly on looks rather than talent.

Kayla

Posted at 9:21 PM on February 7, 2012

Honey, not looks because then haley would have won and Scotty wouldn’t even ahve made it to Hollywood.

Miguel

Posted at 2:10 AM on June 30, 2011

Isn’t it funny how that awkward girl oozes a sensuality that makes women of all ages hate her? It’s also remarkable she doesn’t need pyrotechnics to command the stage. And the diversity in her performances is also noteworthy. I suspect Simon would have told James this is not a high school stage show.

Kayla

Posted at 9:16 PM on February 7, 2012

James? Ha. James sqeeks the most. Thats the only thing he had to make everyone think he could sing was the squeek he did in EVERY song EVERY time he sang. I’m surprised he wasn’t gone long before.

Kev

Posted at 1:03 AM on March 20, 2012

If Haley “squeaks” and “yells”, what the hell does James do? Murder us in a furry of deafening screeching?

Scott

Posted at 1:16 AM on May 14, 2011

She was just defending herself because Randy had diarrhea of the mouth and kept going on and on and on about what he thought of the performance/song.

1. To JLo’s comments she said ‘okay’

2. When Randy said she was screaming at the top of her range she said it wasn’t at the top of her range.

3. Then Steven stepped in to support her and Randy then seemed like he had to defend his negativity and began repeating himself…screaming, didn’t like it and Haley said she heard him and knew how he felt. Enough already Randy jeez.

That was it…I don’t blame her for getting attitude. Put Lauren in that situation and they would have had to take her off stage on stretcher because of the uncontrollable sobbing she would have been doing.

gbtw

Posted at 4:59 PM on May 17, 2011

hahaha… thank you for summarizing what happened accurately. two, so right re lauren! love her, but she’s a very sensitive young girl who probably isn’t ready for this business! stretcher… hahaha…

Cabbie

Posted at 9:15 AM on May 19, 2011

Lauren wouldn’t have been in that situation because she wouldn’t have been screaming like a dying cat.

Miguel

Posted at 2:16 AM on June 30, 2011

Lauren wouldn’t have found herself in that situation because she would never attempt a challenging song by Michael Jackson. It’s outside her tiny comfort zone.

KarenW

Posted at 10:48 PM on May 13, 2011

I wholeheartedly agree! I thought she really had a ‘tude when the judges gave her constructive criticism. I didn’t like that she turned her back to the judges and the audience when the group of them stood up on the stage together after their feedback. I was really hoping that would have done her in and kept James in this week. Even though I voted for Scotty, I didn’t want to see Haley remain and James go home.

Sammy

Posted at 1:14 PM on May 20, 2011

she turned her back cuz she was CRYING. i would’ve done the same, i wouldn’t want that on national tv either. and she NEVER talked back to the judges all the previous weeks, it was just this one week. and you have to admit, judges only ever gave haley bad reviews, everyone else was “perfect.” its part of the problem as to why pia and james left so early…the judges, who as veterans in this industry, should’ve let them know what to improve on instead of calling them perfect.

Kayla

Posted at 9:25 PM on February 7, 2012

Because you’re ignorant. It’s a singing competition. Not an attitude one. Get over it.

jen

Posted at 6:37 PM on May 13, 2011

major attitude problem. people get critisized. part of life. part of growing up. Deal with it. if she cant handle this then if she had been on when simon was around she would really know what true critisism is. most of the time she was praised and that was “ok”. now she gets a slap on the wrist and she has attitude. dont like her at all. her so called “talent” which consists of growling and screaching doesnt equal the diva attitude. That shes the “best”- thats not saying much from whats left.

Miguel

Posted at 2:23 AM on June 30, 2011

She can handle criticism fine. She’s eager to learn. She had a hard time near the end of the contest because she realized the powers that be were working against her.

Hate on this, jen:

“I knew her personally as a former teacher, and I can comfortably say there isn’t one sense of entitlement, or snobbery in that kid. She’s humble, eager to improve, and totally laid back. She was incredibly encouraging, helpful and supportive of her peers, and she’s always been a very smart musician, both theoretically and creatively. She’s been exposed to a huge variety of music her whole life, and it shows comfortably in anything she attempts to sing. She’s always well liked, very respectful, and is the furthest thing from a diva. She’s not one to look for praise, she just loves any opportunity to sing, and it shows when she performs. I always have fun when she’s singing, because I feel she’s welcomed me to enjoy with her what she loves about singing.”

Pretty sure he/she would describe you as “jealous b*tch.”

sharon

Posted at 2:26 AM on October 27, 2011

Her attitude is exactly why I never voted for her. I think she is very talented ,but I also think she would stop at nothing to climb to the top

phill

Posted at 3:07 PM on May 13, 2011

No sh#% the other contestants don’t talk back,,,they only receive praise….

Keep

Posted at 12:32 PM on May 13, 2011

Hey, we the new generation will not bow down to you just because you have glorious past. No matter how great JLo and Randy were. We look forward, look for change and being different (like Gaga). WE WILL LET YOU KNOW IF WE ARE DISAGREEING WITH YOU. Do not expect us to keep quiet just because you are senior.

Ryan

Posted at 2:18 PM on May 13, 2011

Well said man- i agree!

ryd

Posted at 11:17 AM on May 20, 2011

“WE LET YOU KNOW IF WE ARE DISAGREEING WITH YOU” where I grew up that was called: DISRESPECT!!!!

Kayla

Posted at 9:30 PM on February 7, 2012

Where do you come from, Stone age? She’s 20 from Chicago. YOu’re obviously from pleasentville…… What a snooze fest.

yeah yeah

Posted at 12:26 PM on May 13, 2011

she has no attitude she just feels miss treated cuz they r to harsh on her she is a great singer. maybe instead of teling her what she is bad at they should tell her what she is good at. then she will try harder to do the things the judges think she is good at!

J

Posted at 12:09 PM on May 13, 2011

Haley attitude is ridic. She needs to step down off the high horse shes needs a reality check.

Kayla

Posted at 9:33 PM on February 7, 2012

Green is the ugliest color. When you can sing and get as far as she did, then you may speak.

COme on

Posted at 5:26 AM on May 13, 2011

They even have video isolating Randy the other week telling JLo that he was NOT rooting for Haley and then it seemed like they were laughing and Haley was right there on the stage. Maybe if you heard stuff like that and saw how songs with every note off key got praised and you got called out for missing two notes, got called out for screaming Earth Song where MJ himself wrote it to be screamed and did scream, etc. you might eventually get pushed to the breaking point to!

And did you read the transcript of what another contestant L said afterwards? That the judges were starting to make her feel ill always picking on Haley when they know Haley deserves it the least and that she has the best voice left? And former idol contestants have started noticing it too.

People have put videos out showing clips from everyone and then comments and it makes the bias so insanely clear!

And again Randy even said he was rooting against her! And possibly within earshot of her shortly before she started getting more upset about everything!

Give the girl a break!

gbtw

Posted at 9:53 AM on May 13, 2011

randy has really been a m’er f’er about this whole thing, and it has shocked me. i didn’t know he was such a pr***, and am questionning all of my respect for him as the longest running judge. i mean, i never thought he was GREAT, but i didn’t think he was a dick. now i know better.

maureen Davison

Posted at 11:59 AM on May 21, 2011

I completely agree – Ryan Seacrest called James, Lauren Scottie and Hayley in front of judges Hayley was then put under extreme critisism by two of the judges which almost amounted to bullying, she was told she had to perform first. Yes she did stick up for herself but she was trying to give herself back some confidence for the performance she was about to give. I think all three Judges wanted James to win and when Hayley got through to final three instead this produced a backlash by two of the judges – Scotty is obviously the Judges favourite to win and Hayley in their opinion has to go!

MJ

Posted at 2:12 AM on May 13, 2011

I think you couldn’t be more wrong. For weeks now, I have been trying to figure out the jdges inconsistencies. But just based on last night…Haley was the only one who was criticized and heavily at that. I was glad she spoke up…Randy just wouldn’t shut up … Going on and on and on like he was trying to brainwash the voters. He had made his point already a couple of times and was going again…all she essentially was saying was okay I get it…i heard you the first 300 times. Then randy declares a tie between 3 of 4 contestants right before she has to sing first??? Was that necessary?? Really? On the flipside, the judges did not critique any of the other 3 harshly…I adore Lauren but her 2nd performance was awful. She demonstrated confidence and sang parts well but overall performance (2nd song only) was weak. Not one criticism of it. Then we have James… Aye yai yai… Good guy but again his 2nd performance was mediocre at best…he’s a 3rd rate Adam lambert as my boyfriend put it… and his dramatics were way overdone…clearly he believes the hype and thinks he’s already mega rockstsr. Every weekhe pulls out the high note…also overdone. He also comes across as giddy kid in post interviews and maybe people aren’t getting it…. And scotty, facial expressions or not, has been a consummate professional throughout though again there might be some things he overdoes as well. Bottom line: Haley has sucked up their criticism almost every performance…their criticisms have likely helped land her bottom 3 a number of times and good for her for persevering and not crumbling…I don’t really care who wins but the judging this year is useless often…

Gail

Posted at 2:47 AM on May 19, 2011

Well said. Perfect!

Georgia

Posted at 10:27 AM on May 20, 2011

She got a break, and she blew it! The voting says it all, people just do not like her style of communication. Someone asked if we had never made mistake before. The answer is no not on Natl TV. as that’s the one place to keep ur self in check. In general of course we’ve all made mistakes…the difference btwn Haley and winners is that winners own their mistakes, make ammends/apologies where necessary rather than whine and blame others.

Miguel

Posted at 2:40 AM on June 30, 2011

Don’t even think of bragging about the voting until you break it by unique voters. Those who know how and have the time can vote hundreds or thousands of times while others vote only once.

The only thing the results indicate is that the younger voting bloc is more technologically savvy, much of the American Idol audience is a bunch of prudes and many women are insecure in their sexuality.

Break it down by unique voters, and I think you will find Haley has broader appeal. The early sales of her EP certainly indicate that — Lauren has been a distant fourth.

So you cowgirls and cowboys from the suburbs need to climb down from your imaginary high horse.

star

Posted at 2:09 AM on May 13, 2011

First of all, I am glad that I am not the only one noticing that Haley has an attitude. Secondly, while I think her voice sounds good in some songs, she has always looked awkward on stage. The growling thing did not do MJ’s song any justice at all imo. Furthermore… is it me?, or does anyone notice other than the few times Haley has gotten Kudos that when she has finished singing Jennifer is NOT smiling…. I almost get the feeling they really don’t like her. Just making an observation is all. Maybe she should eat a little humble pie is all I’m saying!

mj

Posted at 2:33 AM on May 13, 2011

I don’t get it. For weeks she’s been criticized and she takes it. She may look sad, confused but I’ve never found her to be disrespectful. In fact, I’ve found the judges comments to her confusing. If she tries to do what they say, still not happy…don’t get me wrong… Some criticism has been necessary but I’m a singer myself and I’ve found myself shaking my heads often at judging. Not just of her but she has been criticized more regularly harshly than anyone it seems to me. And when this girl has been in bottom 3 so many times now, she’s smiled and taken in stride.
I do think you might be right that they don’t prefer her… But judges are to be impartial and leave that at door. Anyway all of them will have careers so that’s what’s important in the end.
Drives me nuts how Jlo gushes over the guys and Pia…she behaves like a teenage fan, not a judge! Pia is another example…it was no shocker she went home. Great singer… No connection to audience. Possible she Should have stuck with her ballads/gut…but as well as she sang “river deep…” she had no fluid movement and looked so very uncomfortable trying to run around and be up tempo. Again shell have a career …

But

Posted at 5:30 AM on May 13, 2011

she had been eating humble pie for weeks, eventually she finally snapped. And yes JLo always purses her lips and glares like she is being all catty whenever Haley sings, for weeks now aside from the two times.

All she has done is eat humble pie while Randy and JLo let everything slide for everyone else even praising mistakes as actually pluses!

MJ actually screamed that part too at the end since it was about the raw pain of being mad that children are dying in war and the Earth is getting messed over, etc.

Evn her fellow contestant last night came toher defense and said she felt ill how the judges have gone after her so singly!

gbtw

Posted at 9:58 AM on May 13, 2011

there must be some behind the scenes thing haley did to piss them off, b/c it just really doesn’t make sense how unfairly they treat her. like, maybe she criticized jennifer’s performance, failure to do live, lip synching (so says someone on here that watched closely and saw it was part lip synched), or whatnot, and was overheard? i don’t know, it’s just all so odd how blatantly they mistreat her. i’m glad steven more or less called them out on it.

Ricky Martin

Posted at 8:57 AM on March 20, 2012

This article is such a fail. This is a girly blog but notice how all the negative comments about her are from women?