New Mom, 23, Dumps Her Newborn In A Hospital Trash Can!

Wed, May 11, 2011 11:07am EDT by 17 Comments

A brand new baby girl is fighting for her life after she was found discarded in a bathroom garbage can.

Police tracked down the mom who abandoned her, 23-year-old Dawa Lama, and found her three hours later, asleep at home!

Dawa checked in at New York’s Elmhurst Hospital at 2pm on May 10, where she began the birthing process. At some point during the labor, she left her bed and delivered her baby daughter in a bathroom stall, before dumping her in a trash can and fleeing the hospital.

The next person who used the bathroom noticed a puddle of blood and alerted staff members, who made the horrifying discovery and rushed the baby to intensive care.

Runaway mom Dawa was found three hours later by police officers who escorted her to nearby Queens General Hospital for medical treatment.

Officers have yet to decide if they’ll prosecute the mom, who has no previous convictions. Under New York state law, Dawa is protected because hospitals are deemed ‘safe havens‘, absolving those who abandon babies there from criminal charges.

What do you think HollyMoms? Should she be punished?

– Ian Garland

Get More Here:

1. Police Search For The Missing Mom Of Baby Girl Found Abandoned In A Car
  2. Blood Found In The Car Of Vanished Mother Krista Dittmeyer — So Sad!
  3. Mother Who Drowned Her Children In The Hudson River Has Her Funeral Today — Separately From Her Kids!

Rachel

Posted at 10:12 AM on August 14, 2011

She should be given a hysterectomy. I think if you throw your baby in a trash can or dispose of your baby in any way, you should not be allowed to have anymore. EVER

karen

Posted at 12:19 AM on May 18, 2011

people like this scum make me sick> I want another child but can’t get pregnant. and she throws her baby away, while she is actually IN the hospital! B*TCH

Jel

Posted at 6:39 PM on May 16, 2011

Wow… I just want to know what she was thinking when she went through this process? Hopefully the baby is placed with a loving family.

Christina

Posted at 1:43 AM on May 14, 2011

As sensitive as this subject is to me because I had PPD and untreated bipolar with my daughter I have to step back a little before I totally criticize this woman. I think first the police should check this woman’s mental stability. I went through some intense emotions with my baby. I however did not abandon or harm her. I got help from my doctor and my daughter is now 6 months old happy and healthy! I love her to death! The best thing I ever did was get some help. Some women just can not handle the overwhelming hormones. Especially ones who are not mentally stable. I think she started out doing the right thing. She just made a wrong turn. I personally think that she should have given the baby over to the staff, if she wasn’t going to keep her. Her pregnancy could have been a result of rape. I do not think what she did was right in no way but I understand where her mind might be. It is very sad. Not every woman can be a mother.

James

Posted at 4:56 PM on May 14, 2011

maybe she forget someone come after you

abbi

Posted at 12:43 AM on May 13, 2011

She needs to be kicked in the faces

Eleni

Posted at 4:43 PM on May 12, 2011

“Safe Haven” would apply is she had the baby and then left it there. “Attempted Murder” is when she dumped the baby in the toilet knowing it would drown. (Fortunately, she did not count on the “Good Samaritan” of coming by so soon.) I say, indict her!

Eleni

Posted at 4:44 PM on May 12, 2011

Correction: Not Toilet; trashcan…both equally a death sentence for the baby

c

Posted at 1:14 AM on May 12, 2011

oh yes, trashcan and safe haven are the same. ::eye roll:: she has committed a huge crime here…what if no one had come to find the baby in time?! what then…well at least she left it at the “safe haven”! yeah right. ugh.

Nikki

Posted at 6:22 PM on May 11, 2011

This is so sad how would she like if someone threw her away like she was trash just like she did to a poor innocent baby.I hope she gets life who says she wont do it again.

S

Posted at 12:39 AM on May 27, 2011

Agreed!

Courtney

Posted at 3:53 PM on May 11, 2011

this young woman should be charged with criminal endagerment of a child. why not give the baby to hospital staff to place for adoption. so many women would give nything to have a baby and can’t so would love to adopt one in need

Leesa

Posted at 2:55 PM on May 11, 2011

I agree that she should be punished. She put the baby in a trash can. How awful!! She could have given the baby to hospital staff & they could have easily found the baby a home.

Elle

Posted at 12:55 PM on May 11, 2011

I think that law covers people who surrender their child to hospital staff, not secretly give birth in a bathroom and throw the baby in the trashcan and go home like it was nothing. She knew what she did, and I think she should be charged.

sarah

Posted at 12:08 PM on May 11, 2011

i understand the safe haven thing, but she should definitely be charged for leaving the baby in the trash! she was already in the hospital in labour, this is inexscusable.

Jackie

Posted at 11:57 AM on May 11, 2011

She threw her baby in the trash! It kinda goes against the spirit of the safe haven laws. All I can hope is that one woman’s “trash” will be another woman’s treasure!

Cory

Posted at 11:05 PM on May 11, 2011

Amen! I cant believe they are even debating on wether or not they will charge her!!