Nene Leakes to Ellen: 'Celebrity Apprentice' Was A 'Toxic Situation For Me!

Wed, May 11, 2011 4:20pm EDT by 7 Comments

Nene sticks to her guns on ‘The Ellen Degeneres Show’ about why she had to bow out early.

Some Celebrity Apprentice fans might have thought that Real Housewives of Atlanta star Nene Leakes, took the easy way out by quitting the show before Donald Trump had a chance to say “You’re fired!

Even though the show is a competition to raise money for each celebrity’s charity of choice, the temperamental reality star decided it still wasn’t worth her time to stick it out with her arch nemesis, Star Jones.

Things seemed to be smooth sailing when, at the beginning of the episode, Donald switched Nene and Meatloaf in an effort to avoid the drama. You would think that Nene would love that decision because that meant being on the same team as her friend LaToya Jackson, the only person ever to be brought back on the show after being fired.

Instead, she totally ditched her team without warning, leaving LaToya, John Rich and Lil’ John to fend for themselves in the challenge to put on a comedy show. Donald was NOT happy and eventually resorted to placing the phone call himself: “I’ve never called anybody but I’m calling you because I think you have great ability. If you quit, it’s going to follow you for the rest of your life. For you to quit at the end is stupid.”

Never one to back down, Nene told the camera, “I really feel that Star got her way. Mr. Trump bought into her bulls–t. I don’t have to stay with BS to raise money for my charity. The best thing for me to do is leave.”

It must have been difficult to hear the backlash from her former cast mates like John Rich, who said “Star ran her off and that’s so amateur. I cant say I have a healthy amount of respect for that,” or Donald’s final tirade, “You’re fired, and you’re a quitter, and Star Jones kicked your a** whether you like it or not.” Ouch!

But Nene insisted that she has no regrets about her behavior on the show — She told Ellen Degeneres she simply could NOT be around her teammate Star Jones, 49, any longer. “I don’t regret it. I felt very good about it.  I always do what my gut tells me to do,” explained the reality diva, “I’m a grown woman and nobody makes decisions for me.  I make my own decisions.  It was a toxic situation for me.”

Nene said although she could have used “better word choices,” she doesn’t even regret going off on a client while she was the team manager. She got the audience clapping because Star was fired at the end of last week’s episode, insisting that “Hollywood knows” the truth about Star. Maybe Nene got the last word after all!

–Brooke Peoples

jws

Posted at 12:23 AM on May 12, 2011

I think star IS what nene says but nene is overly dramatic. She doesn’t know how to talk to ppl. If star didn’t run things nene would have tried, and I think that star stole the attention nene was seeking, on top of that she is smarter than nene, so that made it worse.

Alm629

Posted at 3:14 PM on May 11, 2011

Although I don’t agree with Nene leaving the way she did, I still am a fan. Star Jones is a manipulative beotch and when Trump accomodated her it was Not Cool. Nene shouldnt have quit on her team the way she did but Nene is Nene. I’m going to miss her on the show

elizabeth sher

Posted at 3:01 PM on May 11, 2011

If we could buy NeNe for what she’s worth and sell her for what she THINKS she’s worth – it would be like winning the lottery. Except for her big mouth (which matches her behind), she is just plain and ordinary with absolutely no talent whatsoever. I’m surprised the housewives in Atlanta put up with her as long as they did.

Monty

Posted at 2:38 PM on May 11, 2011

No, she did not get the best of Star. No, she did not raise one cent for her charity, nor raise awareness to it one bit. Does anyone actually recall her charity? Nope.

She went all alpha male she b*tch, and quit. Trump called her what she is…a loser!

Ryuzaki444

Posted at 2:19 PM on May 11, 2011

She abadoned her new team, who, prior to her quitting, had no ill feelings toward her (welll, at least they did not express it as much as Star). Did Nene want to stay on a team with Star? Did she want to stay with Marlee? Why would Marlee want to stay with her after she called Marlee names?

Jose

Posted at 1:39 PM on May 11, 2011

I thought this was about Nene of the Denver Nuggets. Who is this person?

Ashley