Taylor Swift Releases The Video For 'Mean' — Is It About Ex-Boyfriend Jake Gyllenhaal?

Sat, May 7, 2011 4:23pm EST by 17 Comments

She wrote the 2010 song for her critics, but she certainly seems to have enough vitriol to skew her ex in the new video!

Taylor Swift is not a girl you want to mess with. She has written fiery kiss-off songs to exes from Taylor Lautner to Joe Jonas to John Mayer, and it looks like her latest video ‘Mean’ targets her brief relationship with Jake Gyllenhaal!

Taylor, 21, says she wrote the song as a response to critics who didn’t like her music, but the video seems to have a lot of metaphor to a bad relationship — likely with Jake, 30. Primarily, Taylor takes the role of an old-time damsel-in-distress, tied to train tracks by a mustache-twirling bad guy. The lyrics that play over the scene may surprise you:

“You, with your switching sides,
And your walk by lies and your humiliation
You, have pointed out my flaws again,
As if I don’t already see them.
I walk with my head down,
Trying to block you out cause I’ll never impress you
I just wanna feel okay again.”

Hmm. Could “switching sides” refer to Jake being spotted out with Joe’s ex-girlfriend Camilla Belle? Could Taylor “never impress” the older Jake? And “I just wanna feel okay again?” Sounds like she’s trying desperately to move on!

What do you think, HollywoodLifers? Is Taylor a damsel who needs to be saved from the big, bad Jake?

– William Earl

Get More Taylor News Here!

1. Taylor Swift Doesn’t Feel Comfortable Taking Her Clothes Off!
  2. Taylor Has A Rebound Crush — Find Out Who!
  3. Taylor Swift & Selena Gomez Are Pillow Besties: Check Out Their Adorable Pic!

lola

Posted at 10:31 PM on May 8, 2011

this video was kinda cheesy and not in a good way.

Jessica

Posted at 2:57 PM on May 8, 2011

This song was not made about jake did you actually listen to the lyrics. The song is about mean people about people saying mean things about her and others

Ugh

Posted at 2:36 PM on May 8, 2011

Lol, I think Mike is actually a lonely girl who has never experienced dating before and who believes that she should sleep with a guy if she was EVER to be asked to go on a date *in my sarcastic and cynical voice* just to keep him. Perhaps that’s how dear ol’Mikey was raised. An-TE-ways haters will always find something to say.

Mike

Posted at 11:34 AM on May 8, 2011

I think her next album should be the truth `I am a big time country SLUT`….Takes two to tangle and she goes from one guy to the next so fast and then blames it on them…Dont think so honey..you are just a big time slut….

Jenn

Posted at 10:51 AM on May 8, 2011

Everyone stop hating on Taylor. This song isn’t about Jake or any other guy, it’s about critics and how people are mean. It’s a good life lesson and I think it’s an inspirational song. It teaches you how bullying will you get you nowhere, and that the person you bully is only going to get farther in life, and be the better person. It isn’t about any guy, and if you think she’s childish, then don’t listen to her songs. She writes what she feels.

Ethelwyn

Posted at 4:44 AM on May 8, 2011

Even if it’s not about him that girl needs to grow up. Her songs are so childish

GimmeAbreak!

Posted at 3:05 AM on May 8, 2011

@Ros apparently you, like all other ppl you who thinks the way you do, only hear the songs her label chooses as singles. This song btw is NOT about an ex! However, she writes songs about love and breakups because that’s what she has experienced. Who hasn’t? She’s effin 21. Her albums have songs dedicated to her family, about watching the lives of other people or just friends’ experiences.

Ros

Posted at 12:00 AM on May 8, 2011

Can she writes some songs which didn´t involved her ex boyfriends? Sometimes there are experiences not meant to be exploited. Doesn´t she have another inspiration?

Mary

Posted at 6:44 PM on May 7, 2011

I’m pretty sure this song was written and released before she even met him. Please get the facts before you make stuff up.

Seriously??

Posted at 5:54 PM on May 7, 2011

Who in the world made up this crap. Taylor’s album was written way before she ever met him. She wrote this about a critic. I now get what tabloids are about. I normally ignore them but after seeing this, I realize that all they do is sit in front of a computer and make up junk. This website is a joke.

Lena

Posted at 5:41 PM on May 7, 2011

They never dated,

Jake Gyllenhaal is just one of gay celebrities Taylor Swift used to get publicity and write bad songs.

LOL

Posted at 5:19 PM on May 7, 2011

you’ve got to be kidding me? LOL the video is not about jake LOL or even remotely similar or suggesting.
wtf is happening.

JakeWho?

Posted at 5:17 PM on May 7, 2011

This article is so dumb! How lame, looking for hits are we?

danie

Posted at 4:42 PM on May 7, 2011

this song was released before she even met jake. stop trying to create drama. the song is about journalist who wrote bad thing about her. she says so in interviews

William Earl

Posted at 4:49 PM on May 7, 2011

Hey Danie. I wrote this article about the VIDEO, not the song. In fact, I reference the fact that this song was about a music journalist.

tara

Posted at 5:17 PM on May 7, 2011

Wow, congratulations for making the most stupid attempt at creating a story out of nothing that I’ve ever seen…

DivaQueen

Posted at 1:15 PM on May 9, 2011

I know, I know–it’s easier to make stuff up than actually write about actual news. We are all deeply impressed at your journalistic skills. Please go and flip burgers or something.