Bonnie Says: Phoebe Prince’s Teen Tormenters Got Away With Bullying Her To Death!

Thu, May 5, 2011 6:47pm EDT by 11 Comments

On May 4th and 5th, five of Phoebe Prince’s “mean girl” and guy bullies- the high school students, who drove the sweet 15 year-old to hang herself, got away with “murder”, when they pled guilty to misdemeanor criminal harassment received a bare minimum of punishment.

Under a plea deal arranged by District Attorney Elizabeth Scheibel and agreed to by the presiding Judge Jeffrey KInder – two of the chief bullies, were absolved of their “crimes”, with almost no consequence.

Former Football team captain, Sean Mulveyhill, 18, who first dated Phoebe and then tormented her, received only a year of probation and community service. While “mean girl” ringleader Kayla Narey, 18, only received a “continued without a finding”, which means that if she stays out of trouble for the next year, she’ll have no criminal record.

In other words, the nine fellow students at South Hadley High school in Hadley, Massachusetts, will be able to go on with their lives while she lies in her grave and her family grieves.

They and teenagers like them wil see that you can call a 15 year-old girl “Irish slut” and “whore” on Twitter, Craigslist, and Facebook. You can knock her books out of her hands, throw cans of soda at her, send threatening text messages to her, shove her into lockers, and encourage her to kill herself, and you will pay a very small price for instilling so much terror and humiliation that a young girl would be depressed and hopeless enough to take her own life.

When Phoebe Prince hung herself on January, 14, 2010, she had been bullied relentlessly for months after briefly dating Sean Mulveyhill and arousing the ire of his off, then on girlfriend, Kayla Narey.

Sean, Kayla and their seven co-conspirators and yes this was a conspiracy- they all worked toegteher to torture Phoebe as much and from as many different angles as they could- were even coldy cruel after her shocking death.

They actually posted vicious comments on her Facebook memorial page . They had no remorse.

Now that they’ve been subjected to criminal charges, court appearrances and public exposure- are they even sorry?

Only one of the defendants actually apologized in court- Kayla Narey, 17, who cried as she addressed Phoebe’s family and Phoebe herself:

“Phoebe… I’m sorry,” she said. “I’m sorry for the unkind words I said about you. I’m sorry for what I wrote on my Facebook page. Most of all I’m sorry for Jan. 14, in the library and in the hallway, when I laughed when someone was shouting humiliating things about you. I am immensely ashamed of myself.”

Only one other defendant, Ashley Longe, 18, has apologized to Phoebe’s mother.

Nine bullies, one dead 15 year-old and only two apologies. No jail sentances.

Shockingly, no stern message has been sent to teenage bullies, with this case.

I understand that these were teens but they were old enough to plan and execute a non-stop campaign of harassment that included verbal and physical abuse. “Phoebe was so terrified of the girls involved that she walked between people in the halls of South Hadley High School, in case they jumped her,” her mother Anne O’Brien, said in court.

Punishment exists to send a message to those charged with a crime and to be a deterrent to others.

These bullies weren’t punished. They got no time for their crime and only 100 hours of community service.

Lindsey Lohan has had a tougher sentence than these nine and she wasn’t responsible for anybody dying.

I think 30 days- a full 30, not time out for overcrowding- and three times the hours of community service- would have sent a real message to these bullies and others.If we don’t want teen bullies to grow up and into adult bullies, they have to know that their behavior won’t be tolerated. Not for a moment!

Phoebe’s mother, Anne, showed the kind of compassion, never allotted to her daughter, when she signed off on the plea deals.

But did the nine defendants even truly hear her pain- “there is a dead weight that now sits permanently in my chest. It is an unbearable pain and it will stay with me until my own death. I would not wish this kind of pain on any parent. It is torture!,” she told the court.

A daughter and her mother tortured, while nine defendants get off with a slap on the wrist. It is shameful!

–Bonnie Fuller

Read More Bonnie Says Here!

1. Bonnie Says: Here’s 16 Mother’s Day Gifts You & Kate Hudson Will Want To Get!
  2. Bonnie Says: Were Kate Middleton’s Wedding Pics Photoshopped To Make Her Waist Look Smaller?
  3. Bonnie Says: Stars Like Selena Gomez & Justin Bieber NEED To Stop Hiding Their Relationships!

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

c

Posted at 3:05 PM on May 7, 2011

i agree with you trollradius. bullying is nothing new its only recently that kids have started killing themselves for it. this girl was obviously too weak to handle it. if her parents had taught her better growing up she could have just ignored it. as someone who was constantly tortured in school i know this for a fact. nobody helped me nobody did a thing and i never considered killing myself. pathetic. i have no sypmathy for this girl she is weak

Karen

Posted at 8:32 PM on May 7, 2011

Pheobe had just moved from a country where that level of bullying in schools does not take place. It may seem like expected behaviour to you, but to people hearing about this is other countries, it sounds truly horrific and that’s exactly how it would have been to Pheobe. How could her parents possibly have prepared her for it? And even if her parents could have prepared her, why do you think it’s right to blame the victim and not the perpetrator? Even if a person has other issues going on, is it right that a mob of vicious bullies (who were teenagers btw, not children) should inflict so much torment on someone as to push them over the edge. Would these ‘children’s’ behaviour be excusable if they had simply made someone afraid and miserable for the day rather than sending them over the edge?

seeda

Posted at 9:14 PM on May 7, 2011

C how dare you sit here and say those things wow you’re just as worst as the bullies matter of fact you are a bully yourself heartless idiot

trollradius

Posted at 7:12 PM on May 6, 2011

No one made her kill herself. Sure, the bullies were way out of line but there was obviously more going on here. Bullying alone is not enough to make someone go over the edge and seriously consider suicide. I would imagine the girl had some self image problems as well as emotional issues. While I do not condone the actions of the bullies, the truth is the final decision to commit suicide was Phoebe’s choice and no one else’s.

Alexis

Posted at 9:43 PM on May 6, 2011

It is obvious you are quite an ignorant person. Of course bullies could push her to freaking kill herself, why are you trying to put the blame on her?! How horrible of you.

trollradius

Posted at 11:42 PM on May 6, 2011

You’re quite bold calling me ignorant seeing as how I actually took the time to read the public documents related to this case. I’m wiling to bet you didn’t do the same. The gist of the story is that she slept with another girl’s boyfriend and was found out, then the other girls made fun of her for being a “slut.” The worst thing they did was throw a soda can at her and call her names. Let’s be realistic – this is not the first time or the last time a girl has been called names for sleeping around. As I stated I don’t condone bullying, but you’re basically saying she was in no way responsible for her own actions leading up to the confrontation between the 2 main parties. I’m sorry but people need to be held accountable for their own actions. I’m not saying she deserved to die by any means, but if you sleep with someone else’s significant other, be prepared to take some flak for it(especially in an environment such as high school). She made some poor decisions and I don’t believe the other children acted any worse than what goes on in a normal high school, especially regarding relationship matters and young girls. I would imagine that if the kids knew that their actions would have had such an impact they would have re-evaluated their actions. To me this still seems like an extreme overreaction on Phoebe’s part. Sorry but the truth is suicide is the epitome of selfish actions, so I’m simply not going to jump on the bandwagon and try to play the blame game. Enough lives have been ruined by this, I don’t see why the need for retribution needs to ruin 6 more by sending them to prison. I’m sure they already have to live with it everyday. You think those kids don’t think about it? You think they wouldn’t take it back if they could? Sorry, you’re the ignorant one.

Seeda

Posted at 3:15 AM on May 7, 2011

Trollradius it’s obvious you have never been bullied a day in your life. Bullies are just that bullies they don’t need a reason they just find the weakest/easiest target and pick on them. The gist of the story is that Sean and Kayla were on & off boyfriend and girlfriend so during their off period he started dating Phoebe. Who was just a innocent little girl caught between two evil immature kids. That does NOT make her a slut or justify the way they treated her. & for you to sit up here and try to justify what was hurtful or bearable for Phoebe is stupid because you were not in her situation. She was 15 they were 18 & older they knew better. BTW it said nothing about her sleeping with anyone. For you to say it was an overreaction on Phoebe’s part is immoral and evil. Those bullies are to blame for this and they deserve more than a slap on the wrist. If they would have never bullied her she would still be alive. You said people need to be held accountable for their own actions well start with the bullies. You have know idea what it’s like to live in fear, being called horrible names by your peers, having people you thought were your friends turn on you in order to fit in, crying yourself to sleep, praying to God for the abuse to end, having no one on your side, the best years of your life tarnished by evil little insecure kids. So you think about that & see if you could handle it. Put yourself in Phoebe’s place before you judge her. So Alexis was right you my friend are the stupid one here!

Alexis

Posted at 9:40 PM on June 11, 2011

Thank you, Seeda. I was bullied in third, fourth, fifth, and sixth grade, and I know what it’s like. It’s horrible and no wonder poor Phoebe was pushed to kill herself– I know I contemplated it.

Cleveland Gal

Posted at 10:19 AM on May 6, 2011

Rest in Peace Phoebe.Her bullies were not punished and I really don’t know why!? Stories like this make me physically ill. I hope Karma is a very real thing and all of those bullies pay for what they have done.

georgiegirl

Posted at 5:48 AM on May 6, 2011

Why did the prosecutor find it necessary to plea bargin? Absolutely, ridiculous!!

Abby

Posted at 8:45 PM on May 5, 2011

How could someone do that…not only did they hurt her soo much she killed her self they hurt her family and others who loved her…they deserved a worse punishment!!!!

Rest in Peace Phoebe Prince, our hearts are with you and your family!!