Avery And Mark Will Go Face-to-Face Over Lexie On Grey's Anatomy! Exclusive

Tue, May 3, 2011 9:14pm EDT by 21 Comments

Grey’s Anatomy star Jesse Williams opens up about what’s next for the on-screen love triangle involving his character Jackson, Lexie and Mark!

Grey’s Anatomy‘s season is coming to a close and one big storyline that’s captivated fans this year is the Lexie-Mark-Avery love triangle. We spoke to actor Jesse Williams who plays Jackson Avery on the hit series and he revealed Mark and Avery will be going face-to-face over Lexie this season. He also spoke about whether Lexie and Avery or doomed!

We asked Jesse whether he thinks Avery and Lexie are doomed in their relationship, which bloomed late this season after their friendship turned into something more. “I don’t think they are doomed, that’s a little strong. I think that Jackson made a decision these last two seasons to really bear down and focus on his work. You notice that he has not been romantically involved with anybody because he’s in a new home, in new place, and there’s the shooting he loses two of his close friends, it’s like starting over, starting over, starting over. And then he can’t resist and he’s developed a real relationship and attraction to Lexie, that began platonically,” explains Jesse.

But what about Lexie rebounding from her bad split with Mark over his impregnating Callie? The musical episode showed she still clearly had feelings for Mark, even though she ended up going home with Avery. Jesse says, “So he put his neck out at maybe a bad time because she’s obviously wrapped up in something that is pretty serious that is then wrapped in something even more serious. So it is not ideal timing and he’s aware of that. He’s made that clear to her and she’s made a commitment to him. Especially with the fast forward episode we had last week, we’re months into this relationship, so I don’t think he’s doomed.” However the actor admits it’s not all smooth sailing for Avery/Lexie lovers. “There’s absolutely some decisions that have to be made [...] but we will find something out I think this season.”

Jesse also revealed that Mark’s not exactly an innocent bystander in all of this drama. “I kind of hope [Mark gets in the way], I think that’s an interesting story. I think their relationship is a very interesting one. I can totally separate myself from that and I like watching it. I like Jackson and Lexie together as well so I don’t see why [Mark] wouldn’t get in the way in some form. It could just be with her. [But also] two guys working in the same place everyday … why wouldn’t they deal with it? What I can say is that Jackson and Mark have a face to face.”

Yay!! We can’t wait to see what goes down between the two gorgeous guys fighting over little Grey. What do you guys think of the love triangle? Are you Team Mark or Team Avery?

Loading video...

Lorena O’Neil with reporting by Russ Weakland

More on Avery/Lexie/Mark

1. Mark is devastated over Lexie and Avery and he should be!
  2. Are Lexie and Avery the new Meredith and Derek?
  3. What do you think of Lexie and Avery as a couple?

Regina

Posted at 5:03 AM on March 2, 2014

At first I shipped Jackson and Lexie. Then, I watched all the seasons with Mark and Lexie and I realized …. MARK AND LEXIE ROCCCKKKKK !!!!!!!!!! They’ve been through so much together !!! She tamed his man whore ways, THEY SHOULD END UP TOGETHER !!!!!!!!!!! Sloan, Mark’s daughter, sucks. She made them break up

free mrr

Posted at 10:30 PM on April 4, 2012

Outstanding info indeed. We have been waiting for this update.

Sabella

Posted at 5:16 AM on May 12, 2011

I agree. They had little scenes when they finally got together. The problem with the show is that they don’t follow through. Such a waste of chemistry if they ruin JL. :(

robyn

Posted at 11:23 PM on May 8, 2011

I spent way too many months shipping Jackson and Lexie, I pretty much started shipping them last season, so if she runs back to Mark by the end of the season I will be pissed. The problem is is that Jackson and Lexie need more scenes together where they actually have a good conversation. A lot of their scenes have only involved kissing sinces they got together, and thats great but as we’ve seen before there best scenes were when they were actually talking to one another. They had lots of little scenes like that last season. If the writers want to make this work they need to write more scenes like that. Just an opinion though…

Julie

Posted at 9:18 AM on May 5, 2011

Was camera guy drunk? Good interview. Bad video.

i'm a fan

Posted at 7:06 AM on May 5, 2011

I used to love watching Mark and Lexie together (especially during the earlier seasons), but I think I’ve switched ships. Jackson and Lexie are just way too pretty and adorable together. Seriously, i dont know if its because in real life they have this good friendship or whatever but it sparkles on screen and it just sparks.

However, my heart still loves Mark and Lexie because of all the history and angst that has gone down so.. I voted Both. Lol. Currently I wish that the writers would even give Jackson and Lexie time to just even TALK, because last episode they did none of that. I would like to see them develop.

Though if Mark and Lexie do get back together than its done well. I don’t think i’ve seen them both properly talk about their situations properly. If Mark is going to actively pursue Lexie again then he better make a grand gesture. He’s hurt Lexie way too much. And as – yes, many things have been going on in his life, I’m taking Lexie’s side (i’ve been taking her side) because none of ithas been fair to her and I feel for her in those type of situations. But still, I love Lexie with both. I love Mark but I don’t like him so much right now, haha. My heart is going for Jackson and Lexie at the moment though.

WWGrey's

Posted at 12:27 PM on May 5, 2011

Ha! This poll is so biased cuz Mark’s had a bunch of seasons dealing with so many ups and downs with Lexie, like defining eachother and Jackson hasn’t had anyone at all. They’ve kissed a few times and now you want to vote on which is better? Hmmm wonder who;s the heavy favorite there.
Please, Jackson is going to be soooo much better for her! I can see it!!! She’s happy and he’s not stressing her out over and over again. Finally he has someone to care about that’s alive and on the show! He’s only cared about his dead friend and absentee grandfather until this point. He loves her and she’s going to love him. One of the only things that feels new about the show honestly

Fangirl

Posted at 5:50 PM on May 5, 2011

If you see it this way, everyone should ship Jackson and Lexie. But the thing is, that there isn’t any couple on Grey’s which doesn’t have some trouble. And the problem is that Jackson and Lexie probably won’t survive any drama, simply cause they don’t love each other. At least not yet. I think that Jackson’s on his way to fall in love with her, but she’s not near to it.
So despite the fact that Mark and Lexie are pretty screwed up right now, I voted for them. They’ve more history, and I love the angst. Maybe Jackson and Lexie could be great, but we didn’t see much of their relationship yet. Just some kissing and talking. And the talks were never about them, they were often about Mark. The way this is written, I’m also pretty sure that they plan to put Mark and Lexie together in the end.

Llala

Posted at 6:38 PM on May 4, 2011

Jesse is beautiful. He’s my soulmate, he just doesn’t know it yet. :)

loth

Posted at 3:00 PM on May 4, 2011

Mark and lexie all the way !!

Cherry

Posted at 12:25 PM on May 4, 2011

Definitley Mark and Lexie.

bella

Posted at 11:23 AM on May 4, 2011

Jesse is spelled with no “i”. Please correct it. The “i” is only for girls. And it would have taken no more than 2 seconds to verify that.

Ehmmmm

Posted at 8:01 AM on May 4, 2011

Duh mark and lexie are my OTP!!

Muffin

Posted at 5:28 AM on May 4, 2011

Team Avery all the way! Mark/Lexie have tried and failed too many times, and I think Jackson/Lexie are much more interesting than this boring ML repetition. Mark and Lexie need people their own ages!

HeathGrrrr

Posted at 12:30 PM on May 4, 2011

I totally agree! We’ve already seen Lexie/Mark and half the time she ends up hurt, confused and doubting herself. It’s okay for people not to be ready to do things in life. She’s not ready “to date a guy, two girls and a baby”. I think it’s nice for Grey’s to show Lexie making her own decisions, hard decisions, and choosing someone she’s come to know, and trust and who puts her first. That’s what Jackson seems like to me but honestly we haven’t seen much and I’m willing to wait for more. It’s really not a fair comparison anyway. Mark/Lexie have been around for a couple years and Jackson/Lexie for a couple minutes. Jaxie seem like two talented young doctors who are made for each other and Mark can literally fall for or sleep with anyone. Jackson’s not like that. He’s not a dog or lead around by his you know what. He won’t hurt her. Mark won’t stop hurting her.

BerryBlush

Posted at 10:20 AM on May 6, 2011

I totaly agree ,i mean they should make more sences on avery tring his hardest to get lexie but what they have right now i wish i had – mark and i agree on Mark alresdy having a kid with not just one but two mothers on there back and both are newlyweads. So mark should just back up and let lexie have a REAL realationship with AVERY.

chris

Posted at 11:35 PM on May 3, 2011

I’m all for L/J, mark is too old for little grey, and she is too good for him! Why would she even think about getting back with someone who has slept with most of SGMW’s female staff and has kids with different women poping out of the woodwork every 6 months.

Sam

Posted at 1:23 PM on May 4, 2011

I totally agree!! JL all the way. Why would Lexie want to be in a relationship with a guy, 2 women and a baby for the rest of her life? Mark can’t focus on Lexie and put her first, Lex deserve better. I hope ML are done for good.

Lbl

Posted at 11:11 PM on May 3, 2011

There isno competition here. Lexie & Mark

Sabella

Posted at 10:46 PM on May 3, 2011

I love Lexie and Jackson together. <3

SloanGreyFan

Posted at 9:58 PM on May 3, 2011

It’s not even a triangle. L/J have had sex on a washer and in the shower. Every conversation they’ve had has been about Mark. The rest of their relationship has been off-screen. Jackson is a dull as crap plot point.