Royal Wedding Hat Designer Interview: Princesses Beatrice & Eugenie Not Crying If You Didn't Like Their Hats!

Mon, May 2, 2011 3:20pm EST by 29 Comments
Getty Images

Getty Images

If you didn’t like Princesses Eugenie [left] Beatrice’s [right] jaw-dropping ‘fascinators’, then that’s too bad, says their famed hat designer Phillip Treacy!

Immediately following the Royal Wedding on April 29, Facebook and Twitter filled with ridicule for Princesses Beatrice, 22, & Eugenie, 21, “ridiculous” hats. But HollywoodLife.com spoke with Philip Treacy, the man behind the royal creations, at the premiere of L’Amour Fou in NYC on May 1 and revealed what he had in mind when designing the colorful and feathery toppers for the daughters of Prince Andrew Duke of York and Sarah, Duchess of York

“My inspiration was beauty and elegance it’s a 21st century royal wedding,” Philip told us at the screening hosted by designer Vera Wang. “No, they didn’t tell me [what they wanted] because I’ve known them for a long time and I wanted them to look gorgeous and beautiful. They trusted me to make them. Gorgeous and beautiful can be open to interpretation … I thought they looked gorgeous and beautiful. But no one is crying if anyone didn’t.”

Beatrice’s intricate bow-like hat, matched her taupe Valentino Haute Couture dress. While her older sister’s royal blue fashion statement sat perched on her head complete with purple flowers and large white feathers.

“How a hat makes you feel is what a hat is all about,” Philip says. “It’s about making you feel a million dollars so when you’ve got something beautiful on your head and the head is the most important part of the body to embellish, because it’s what you meet. When you’re wearing something on your head you feel beautiful.”

Do you think these Princesses deserve to make the worst dressed list or are they just fabulously fashion forward?

— Chloe Melas

Get More Royal Wedding News Here!

1. Check Out Kate’s Amazing Royal Wedding Gown!
  2. Kate & Prince William Kiss Twice On The Balcony! See Video!
  3. Should Pippa Become Kate’s Lady In Waiting?
  4. Princess Eugenie & Beatrice Wear Crazy Creations To The Wedding! See Pics!

Phillip Simpson

Posted at 10:44 PM on November 24, 2013

Philip Treacy could NOT have written this article!!!! The “author” says he has “known” the two Princesses for years!!! Then why would he indicate Eugenie is older????????? Beatrice York was born on my birthday… March 23, 1988! Eugenie came a year later. Look again, seeee… Eugenie is wearing the BLUE dress!!! Um…. something about the Older sister!?!?!?!?

30 min recipes

Posted at 11:54 PM on June 3, 2012

I do not even know how I finished up here, but I believed this post used to be good. I do not understand who you’re but certainly you are going to a famous blogger in case you are not already. Cheers!

get more followers on twitter

Posted at 3:45 AM on May 10, 2012

Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem along with your web site in internet explorer, may test this? IE still is the market chief and a huge element of other folks will omit your great writing because of this problem.

חתונות

Posted at 7:36 AM on May 2, 2012

Someone essentially help to make severely articles I would state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I amazed with the research you made to make this actual put up amazing. Magnificent process!

Wedding Flowers

Posted at 5:15 AM on April 9, 2012

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Very useful information specially the ultimate section :) I maintain such info much. I was looking for this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.

גן אירועים

Posted at 4:05 AM on April 7, 2012

Thanks for the good writeup. It in fact used to be a entertainment account it. Glance complicated to far brought agreeable from you! However, how could we keep up a correspondence?

sharon

Posted at 2:58 PM on May 10, 2011

This guys inspiration is from the movie the grinch…it looks
like something a who from whoville wore in the movie….he calls this creative….he copys from a movie…..that is
mockery. he is not a artist or creative!!!

novelist2000

Posted at 1:33 AM on May 8, 2011

Why is everyone calling it a hat when it should be called a ‘head ornament’?

ken

Posted at 3:30 AM on May 5, 2011

Its not the hats its the dresses that horrify me.

jwoolman

Posted at 4:19 AM on May 4, 2011

You have to remember that every woman there was supposed to wear a hat… So I imagine quite a few decided to have fun with the silly requirement. Their mom is on the outs with the royals and wasn’t invited, so I’m sure her girls had no incentive to be “subdued”. If they don’t want to see such, um, creative hats – just get rid of the obsolete idea of women wearing hats as mandatory etiquette (it goes back to the idea of women needing to hide their hair because of course women are supposed to be congenitally vain little things… in certain cultures such as European/British, it gradually evolved to hardly covering hair at all but making a loud fashion statement, so much for being anti-vanity). Plenty of women would rather go without a hat except practical ones when the weather requires it.

David

Posted at 6:34 PM on May 3, 2011

I applaud there risk taking and totally agree with Tom and Lorenzo at project rungay these two are a young Patsy and Eddy in the making.

Jacalyn

Posted at 5:43 AM on May 3, 2011

No one has to like their hats,truthfully.They are the one’s wearing it after all.

Dion

Posted at 4:01 AM on May 3, 2011

These chicks couldn’t pull the looks off! They look like the evil step sisters!

steff17

Posted at 2:13 AM on May 3, 2011

OMG!!! Lighten up people. The princesses were not wearing traditional hats. What they are wearing are called Fascinators, they are known to be extreme. Victoria Beckham (Posh) was wearing a Fascinator. There were many worn at the wedding.

Cathy

Posted at 1:18 AM on May 3, 2011

I would love, love, love to know what Valentino said when he saw that BUTT ugly hat with one of his dresses.

Sharon

Posted at 1:15 AM on May 3, 2011

HAHAHAHA!! I love the part of this interveiw when he explains to us what a persons head is for.
Of course, Treacey doesn’t care whether intellegent people like his hats… there are enough idiot rich women to keep him in business.

This is his version os the Emperor’s New Clothes.

Spot On

Posted at 8:54 PM on May 2, 2011

Those poor homely girls are both fat and butt ugly. I guess wearing such “unique” hats on their ugly heads took attention away from their homely horsie looking inbreed faces and fat flabby bodies.
Kate Middleton on the other hand was a brunette gorgeous Grace Kelly; simply stunnig. The Duchesses of PORK are the ugly step-sisters. Anyway, congrats to Prince William and his lovely bride.

Tanya

Posted at 4:37 AM on May 4, 2011

Fat? In what way are they fat? Jeeeesus! It’s not like they’re Rosanne! Okay they aren’t not the most attractive, but anything over a size 4 is now fat apparently.

sherri

Posted at 5:12 AM on May 5, 2011

How rude! It’s easy to call someone butt ugly and fat from beind a monitor without a two-way camera. Besides, Eugenie is the only one carrying some extra weight and I’m sure that she’s quite aware of it. I think both girls are pretty young things and I admire the fun spirit with which they wear those FAB hats. Rock on princesses!

Derby Town USA

Posted at 12:20 PM on May 8, 2011

Whatever Fergie, as in Sarah…for me personally I too think they are ugly and fat I am glad I dont look like either them; computer screen or not. BTW, I actually think their hats are kinda cool, but they are just not pretty girls and need to lose weight, especially the dark haired one. jmo

Spot On

Posted at 8:52 PM on May 2, 2011

Those two girls are both fat and butt ugly. I guess wearing such “unique” hats on their ugly heads took attention away from their homely horsie looking inbreed faces and fat flabby bodies.

BL

Posted at 5:41 PM on May 2, 2011

They’re very unique and not really to my taste, but they are the girls’ personal choices. I don’t think either one of them was FORCED into wearing them.

That said, Chloe, Beatrice is actually the older sister, not Eugenie.

Maria

Posted at 5:15 PM on May 2, 2011

A hat is personal choice and one should not judge. Hats have their own unique beauty.

Sharon

Posted at 1:16 AM on May 3, 2011

Thank you for that post, Jesus.

princess helen

Posted at 4:33 PM on May 2, 2011

These were awful hats , the worse i have ever seen in my life. How did Philip Treacy let them go out wearing something so so bad. They obviously have not a clue how to dress , omg awful,princess Eugenie’s dress was bad bad bad, a flop, for such young girls to be dressed so old , princess Beatrice’s outfil looked ok , but nof for such a young person. no , dress and hat designers should be sacked, horrible

Lorna

Posted at 1:32 PM on May 2, 2011

They looked like Cinderellas ugly sisters. Their outfits looked awful especially with those hideous hats. Eugenie looked like a fat frump who couldn’t walk properly with those high heel shoes. The colour taupe does not suit beatrice. With all the money they have you think they could afford a decent stylist. Whoever advised them on their outfits was clearly having a laugh at their expense.

Dutchess

Posted at 1:23 PM on May 2, 2011

I think both hats were fabulous as were the other Treacy designed hats worn by attendees at the wedding! Then again, Princesses B & E always steal the show with their ensembles!

princess helen

Posted at 4:40 PM on May 2, 2011

treacy hats are disgusting, hideous

Livvy

Posted at 12:03 PM on May 2, 2011

Beatrice’s hat looked like she had Cthulhu on her head