'Mob Wives' Star Karen Gravano: 'I Wasn't In The Witness Protection Program!'

Mon, May 2, 2011 7:30pm EDT by 7 Comments

Karen stayed in New York while her family moved to Arizona — and when her dad, Sammy the Bull, got out of jailed he joined the witness protection program and followed his family to the Southwest!

Mob Wives star Karen Gravano wants to clear up some rumors about her past. Karen tells HollywoodLife.com exclusively that unlike her father Salvatore “Sammy the Bull” Gravano — former Gambino family underboss turned FBI informant and ratted out John Gotti — she never entered into the witness protection program.

“People have it confused,” Karen tells us. “The way it was, this was my father’s life, it didn’t have to do with me. I didn’t understand why he cooperated, he felt John betrayed him. I thought it wasn’t my life. I was going to stand on my own — that’s why I didn’t go into witness protection.”

“I moved to Arizona because my family was there and I thought it was a better way to raise Karina,” Karen says of her young daughter. “And my brother [Gerard Gravano] was in prison, so I helped raise his son as well.”

Karen remembers how it all went down. “After my father cooperated, my whole family stayed in NYC,” says Karen. “My mother [Debra Gravano] had left in 1994 — she wanted to get out, and my brother wanted to go to culinary school. He had a baby, and she opened a business.”

“When my father got out of prison, he went into witness protection for eight months and moved to Arizona and joined my family,” explains Karen. “I was very reluctant to leave New York, [but] I missed my family and was fed up with the lifestyle in NYC. I moved there in 1997.”

Fourteen years later, Karen is back in Staten Island working on her book — and trying to clear her name.

- Lindsey DiMattina, reporting by Jessica Finn

More Mob Wives Posts:

1. Drita & Renee: Karen’s Brave To Come Back To Staten Island!
  2. Should Carla Tell Her Kids Their Dad’s In Prison?
  3. Should Drita Dump Her Husband?

Deborah

Posted at 7:55 PM on November 4, 2012

What a stupid article. The entire Gravano family; father Sammy the bull, mother Debra, son Gerard, daughter Karen and her husband were arrested in Arizona for dealing in Ecstasy. That was the “business” her mother opened. Why didn’t you mention that?

tracy

Posted at 11:14 PM on March 28, 2012

i think all the girlson mob wives should grow up and take hold of there lives ,if they want people to see them in a different light then they should act according to the words they speak. i know they are all drama queens they love to gossip, fight, and none of them are fit to be parents not one. you can never change the past but dam sure you can controll the future including how you act, respond and by what you say. each one is a train wreck and clearly their children will follow.

wen of the SF bay area

Posted at 7:15 PM on February 18, 2012

Karen Gravano, what a freakin waste of space she is. This girls needs some serious therapy. You talk about Carla being Drita’s puppet-look in the mirror you are most definitely Ramona’s puppet. She has her hand shoved so far up your backside you’ll never get it out.. LMFAO You need to find yourself, be yourself and stop defining yourself by your father, your cousin, your past etc… Grow up.

Also, get over the Lee thing, it just makes you look stupid…really.

Belinda

Posted at 11:09 PM on January 13, 2012

Karen,
You are very strong and honest, I have always been on your side. I wish you and your family peace and joy.
B

j burns

Posted at 7:47 PM on July 1, 2011

Well if karen wasn’t in the witness protection with her dad then why did she move to arizona an not stay in nyc I will tell u y because she was scared for her life her dad was a rat an they might have reached out to get her since they couldn’t get him I dunno mayb I’m wrong

Emily

Posted at 1:56 AM on August 3, 2011

I thought she went to raise her daughter, if she was so scared she would not of gone back.

rose

Posted at 12:04 AM on February 14, 2012

Dont respect rats and drita didnt owe her anything get over it.