Lara speaks out for the first time about the tragic attack that almost took her life. She says thoughts of her two children kept her alive!
Lara Logan, 40, the CBS News chief foreign correspondent and 60 Minutes reporter who was brutally attacked and sexually assaulted by an angry mob as she was covering Egypt’s revolution on Feb. 11, has finally decided to talk about the horrible event that almost took her life.
“Suddenly, before I even know what’s happening, I feel hands grabbing my breasts, grabbing my crotch, grabbing me from behind. I mean, and it’s not one person and then it stops, it’s like one person and another person and another person. And I know Ray is right there, and he’s grabbing at me and screaming, ‘Lara hold onto me, hold onto me,'” Lara describes of the horrific ordeal to 60 Minutes‘ Scott Pelley.
“What really struck me was how merciless they were. They really enjoyed my pain and suffering. It incited them to more violence.”
“There was no doubt in my mind that I was in the process of dying,” she explains. “I thought not only am I going to die, but it’s going to be just a torturous death that’s going to go on forever…”
But the thought of never seeing her two young children again, Lara says, is what kept her alive.
After 25 minutes of brutality, Lara was rescued by a group of Egyptian women and military — and transported back to her hotel.
The next day she was back in the States and immediately in the hospital, where she remained for four days. And the moment she saw her kids, “I felt like I had been given a second chance that I didn’t deserve…because I did that to them. I came so close to leaving them, to abandoning them,” Lara says.
Lara is finally starting to recover. “I am so much stronger,” she says.
– Lindsey DiMattina
Get More Here: