Meredith Vieira Leaving 'Today' Show In June — New Reports!

Fri, April 29, 2011 8:57am EDT by 6 Comments

Meredith, in London for the Royal Wedding, will end her morning-show run three months earlier than expected, according to insiders.

Meredith Vieira reportedly could exit the Today show as soon as June — and could move up the announcement of her departure to as early as next week.

So the royal wedding of Kate Middleton and Prince William could be the last big hurrah for Meredith’s almost five-year run on Today.

Meredith, 57, who also hosts the syndicated Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, would be replaced as co-host on NBC’s Today by newsreader Ann Curry. Natalie Morales would then step into Ann’s role, according to a NY Post report.

There have been rumors of Meredith’s co-host Matt Lauer also leaving the show when his contract is up, perhaps to join former colleague Katie Couric in a new daytime talk show.

sore neck

Posted at 4:08 PM on April 14, 2012

Excellent post, very informative. I wonder why the other specialists of this sector don’t understand this. You should continue your writing. I’m sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to contribute & aid other users like its aided me. Good job.

Jane

Posted at 9:25 AM on April 29, 2011

i am so glad. the tension i felt between meredith and matt has spoiled my enjoyment of the Today Show, which i have watched and loved since the 50’s. not since bryant gumbel has been on the show, has there been a more unpleasant host as Meredith.

Marcia

Posted at 10:41 AM on April 29, 2011

Not since Bryant Gumbel? Gumbel, who many whites as well as blacks, disliked for seeming “uppity” was the last host to give the show any journalistic credibility. When Gumbel was there, the first half hour of the show was always news, and he handled it better than any other morning show host in history–not the political hype and showbiz stories they lead off with now like Donald Trump, but real news. TODAY paired Gumbel with one ditz after the other (including Deborah Norville), only to have him fatally paired with Couric, who for some reason thinks she is the best thing since sliced bread. Once Couric arrived he show spiraled down. She openly fawned after Matt who seemed to squirm in return, bleached her hair to match Diane Sawyers’, and treated Anne as her lady in waiting.

Braden

Posted at 5:20 PM on May 3, 2011

You’re in idiot – enough said.

Jan

Posted at 11:15 AM on May 1, 2011

I think Katie was great. Meredith is great. Matt is great. Al is super. The show is well produced although some of the segments are too fast….I have given up TV for the last 2 years so I haven’t seen it lately, but I used to watch it in the morning and I enjoyed the friendships they had between them. It is entertainment….nothing more….nothing less…oh a bit of news here and there…but…not really…I think everyone needs a change once in a while.

Elizabeth

Posted at 9:29 PM on May 9, 2011

Totally agree, Meridith is not as entertaining or engaging as the others.