Lara speaks out for the first time about the brutal attack that almost took her life! She says thoughts of her two children kept her alive!
Lara Logan, the CBS News chief foreign correspondent and 60 Minutes reporter who was brutally attacked and sexually assaulted by an angry mob as she was covering Egypt’s revolution on Feb. 11, has finally decided to talk about the horrible event that almost took her life.
“There was no doubt in my mind that I was in the process of dying,” she tells CBS News’s Scott Pelley. “I thought not only am I going to die, but it’s going to be just a torturous death that’s going to go on forever…”
But the thought of never seeing her two young children again, Lara says is what kept her alive.
After 25 minutes of brutality, Lara was rescued by a group of Egyptian women and military — and transported back to her hotel.
The next day she was back in the States and immediately in the hospital, where she remained for four days. And the moment she saw her kids, “I felt like I had been given a second chance that I didn’t deserve…because I did that to them. I came so close to leaving them, to abandoning them,” Lara says.
Lara is finally starting to recover. ”I am so much stronger,” she says.
Be sure to tune in to 60 Minutes on May 1 at 7:00 p.m. to for Lara’s story.